#ONC2023

Prompts are online

5 Likes

I found three prompts that fit a story I started and unpublished on wattpad a few years ago and only found one prompt that kinds of fit with the story I had chosen to revive.

I guess I’ll work on the paranormal story since it has three fitting prompts and the contemporary story with a little magic I wanted to work on will have to stay stuck in my notebook for a bit more.

2 Likes

Hunh, 82 prompts, but more freedom.

That first one is rediculous, I need to stew on it to see if I can pull something up on it. Got 2 other hits right now.

2 Likes

There is exactly the sort of classical Faustian bargain prompt I needed. Here goes nothing.

2 Likes

I need help deciding which of my 2 ideas to write for the ONC.

1. A supernatural world where humans live amongst monsters. So humans VS monsters
  2. A fae/human world where the fae and humans are at war. So fae VS humans

I’m not familiar with the wattpad niches but both are strong ideas that I can see making a full novella. I haven’t come across any fae books yet but I’ve come across countless humans VS monsters book. Would doing number 1 make it easy to get lost in the books as a been there done that or is number 2 more popular than I think? lol I hope I worded this right. What’s your preference between the 2?

2 Likes

I only read one fae story on wattpad and I saw it growing in popularity even though the writer was still new on wattpad at the time, so I believe there is an audience for it even though I haven’t crossed paths with another wattpad fantasy story featuring fae.

I mostly cross path with stories featuring dragons more. I think you should take the second option, but it’s up to what you feel comfortable writing.

2 Likes

I’ve ALWAYS wanted to write a fae book. It’s just the research will take some time but I’ve read quite a few and it’s a genre I’m really drawn too but maybe a bit timid about trying to write myself.

3 Likes

Then go for it! You can always come back to it and fix/add something since it’s a first draft.

3 Likes

Yes, #1 would get lost in the shuffle.

But it also would have a larger audience.

So it swings both ways.

2 Likes

I want to do two prompts. I have no time to do two prompts. Someone, please knock some sense into me!

2 Likes

DO NOT DO TWO PROMPTS!

Hope that helps haha. Choosing 1 will be much easier to focus and develop in a way that might get you in the top 5 :stuck_out_tongue: 2 prompts splits your focus

3 Likes

I’m kind of let down by the prompts. I mean I liked a bunch of them but I was hoping for something that I would love or even something that fits in with another story idea I already have.

I honestly don’t know if I’ll participate now… idk I’m going to think over the prompts I liked today and go from there.

4 Likes

Do both the 1st round, for what 2K words and test which one writes easier?

Temptation

4 Likes

Prompts that sound like something I’d write…

12 an evil sorcerer offering powers sounds like it could be an Elgana story or an Ozel Emla story.

38 bottomless pit sounds like the mysterious hole in the middle of Elgana. I could potentially write a story around that, but I’m not interested. The whole point of Elgana is that a bunch of stories happen around Elgana’s mysteries and slowly reveal what they actually may be.

62 sounds like my magic realism story. There’s a lot of demons.

While those intrigue me, I find ONC to be hard to work on. The scheduling is awkward for me. I can’t perfect a chunk of writing at a time so people can judge it. I’ll get writer’s block.

How do you guys do it?

4 Likes

Hehe… I’m doing 3 prompts for 1 book :smiley:

6 Likes

Same here! I hope I won’t regret it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Last year I used the contest to help me write again since I wasn’t motivated and had stayed months without writing, so I was more focused on writing again than being judged/making it to the long/shortlist.

The novella/novel I wrote last year was something I’ve been itching to write for years, so having a rough idea what the story was about also helped me with the contest.

5 Likes

4 Likes

I found several that I like. A few would work for the Lailoken story I’ve wanted to write for years. Few others would work as a sequel to my current project.

Hmmm. It would be easiest to write a sequel. Same characters and the setting provide a good starting point so I can just focus on the story.
:thinking: Smartest choice but the Lailoken story would be so fun… And fun stories write themselves. Lots of worldbuilding to do though so less likely I’d finish on time.

I’m tempted to write two sequels to current WIP based on two prompts. But oh my, that’s a tight squeeze. Unless I started both and continued only the one that works better?

I’m going to ponder on this and brainstorm individual prompts.

But in other news, it sounds like I’m going to write for ONC this year because I liked a few prompts from the start! Yay.

2 Likes

The first 2K is worth screwing around on.

5 Likes