Pet peeves?! Do you have any???

I … have many.

1. When people take my food. I don’t care if you’re a friend or my family, it’s still my food and unless I want to share, I’m not going to offer and you shouldn’t ask or just take it off my plate.
  2. People who swear a lot, and there’s a swear word in every other sentence they speak. I mean, I can understand that you want that emphasis or whatnot, but I personally don’t think it’s necessary.
  3. When people touch my stuff. You wanna see, you wanna read, ask me first, and if I’m not there, just wait. Shouldn’t be too difficult. And if you’re so desperate to use something of mine, should thought about buying your own.
  4. When people complain about my selfishness. Yes, I am, sue me. Thing is, I’m selfish over things that are inherently mine, bought with my own money or given to me, so I don’t see why I can’t be selfish over it. Get your own.
  5. When people can’t accept other’s beliefs/habits whatnot that goes against what they believe. A common example near me would be the fact that, as a Hindu, I don’t eat beef, but I do eat pork. I’ve got Hindu friends who don’t eat both, and they say I’m sinning for eating pork. Excuse me, what’s it to you?
  6. Bad liars. I’m a liar myself, and I’m not going to condemn anyone for being one. But don’t bother if you can’t lie well, just don’t insult my intelligence and yours in that way.
  7. Leftovers. I have a particular dislike for leftovers, and my grandmother always cooks enough for there to be leftovers for two/three days. Like shit, I appreciate it, but I can’t stomach having the same thing over and over again.

And that’s all … for now. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I find people who bring their dogs in the vet clinic with retractable leashes are the worst thing. It is so hard to control the dog, for both the owner and the techs. Can’t even bring your hand down further on the leash part because it’s so thin you feel like you’re going to slice your hand open if they jerk, so sometimes you have to end up controlling them by the collar and the owner gets all fussy about it. :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

Yes. I think harnesses with a normal length leash are the best for you and your dog. Your dog doesn’t get choked and you can control them.

2 Likes

It’s funny how this has become peeves about pets. U^ェ^U

1 Like

I used to wonder if I had misophonia because certain noises bother me so much lol. I’m still bothered when people make repetitive sounds like sniffling every five seconds. It seems excessive. I’d even get angry/tense and have to go somewhere else. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Retractables are best used for the elderly with an active small dog, so the dog has room to run while the owner can walk slowly. But in that situation, it’s better to get a dog suited to your time of life.

2 Likes

When having a discussion, and the person you are speaking to, who is clearly wrong about something but insists on their arguments nonetheless, saying:

“Why are you so stubborn?! Sheesh. With that attitude you won’t achieve anything in life.”

It pisses me off so much that it makes me laugh out loud.
Have a look at yourself, man!

1 Like

They could be clearly right and it’s still annoying. (The assumption that they are aware of being wrong at that moment doesn’t really jive well with many studies I’ve seen thrown around in the past decade. People aren’t logical beings, even those who throw around proper titles for faulty arguments. )

To me, it’s the attitude walking into a conversation that determines if someone is capable of that level of self-discernment. shrugs

Same… I can handle small white lies because I do that too. But lies that can seriously alter things… I cannot stand.

Other pet peeves include…

• People constantly on their phones during bonding time. My sister does this while we watch movies and shows. Like, you can’t you spend two hours without being on it? And it seriously irks me when I’m trying to have a conversation with them and they aren’t listening because they’re focused on their phone. :roll_eyes:

• When someone uses something of mine and doesn’t put it back or charge it. I don’t care if someone uses something of mine, even if they don’t ask for it. I’d be okay with my sister wearing my clothes if she wanted to without asking first. My problem is when they don’t give it back or charge it (if it’s electronic). My little sister uses my headphones, and I’m fine with her using them especially if I’m not at the time. But I’ve had times when she uses them, puts them back, and then I try to use them only for them to be dead or have low battery. :upside_down_face:

• I have a similar issue when it comes to people at work. I’ll use something on a daily basis, like a vacuum, broom, disinfectant spray, etc., and then the next day… it’s gone! Usually I’ll find it in the maids room, but there have been times when it’s locked and there is no key because housekeeping takes them all. Grinds my gears.

• When the bathroom sink gets filled up again with hair stuff. Once I clean the bathroom, or anywhere in the house, it becomes dirty all over again in a day. My sisters will use the brush or the hair dryer or whatever and leave it all over the sink. Or I’ll finally clear off the bookshelves and then they start stacking stuff up on it like bottles and cups and bags and candy and whatever. Ugh.

• People who don’t like cats. Can’t trust you. I can understand if you’re allergic, but being allergic doesn’t automatically mean you can’t like them. My dad adores cats but has to like them from afar (unless he decides to risk it which he has) because he’s allergic. Also, the excuse of childhood trauma (a cat scratching you as a child) is a bit too much. Like, if you can’t be in a room with a kitten because you’re afraid of it (or you just “tolerate” it) you have issues you need to work on. :woman_shrugging:

• Customers. Need I say more?

• When books have apostrophes for dialogue or use anything else for dialogue besides quotation marks. I understand each country is different, but that is something I cannot and will not stand behind.

• When people are a little too nice. I find it weird. I think it’s because there’s something in me screaming that they’re serial killers trying to charm me or something. I don’t know. :sweat_smile:

And I probably have a ton more. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

:skull: Just wanna pop in and comment on this.

So it’s not related to cats but dogs. My mom had childhood trauma with dogs, to the point that she’s even terrified of puppies. One time when we were hanging out at a relative’s house in Canada, there was a small dog (one of my cousin’s pets) that walked to her while she had her back turned. Little Me pointed it out to her.

Then she turned her back, saw the cute little doggie, and screamed. Legit screamed. And ran away too.

Also whenever she enters a house with a dog (like my aunts’ houses in the Philippines) the dog has to be held back so she can enter and exit, otherwise she would run away.

Admittedly she did improve but it took her literal decades. She’s in her 40s now and just managed to hold a small dog on her lap.

So if someone is afraid of animals due to childhood trauma, whether it be dogs or cats, I don’t judge. It’s not easy :skull:

2 Likes

People beginning a conversation with “You probably don’t know what this is…” Not an intentional condescending thing, but it irks me sometimes. They are assuming I don’t know the thing. About 95% of the time I do know. Makes me feel like I’m supposed to be stupid. I know it’s unintentional. I know my partner doesn’t mean it :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Here’s another.

The compelled messenger owl.

I’m walking or sitting between Person A and B. Person A asks me a question. I say “yes”. Person B feels compelled to say to Person A, “She said yes.” I can speak for myself, thank you. I know they’re trying to be helpful because my voice can come out soft sometimes, but often it’s clear that Person A did hear me. What are those people who feel compelled to be my messenger owls? :expressionless:

And another one is being talked to as if I am a kid. So, I come from a line of people with baby faces, so my face looks younger than my age (I guess? idk). Now, maybe I’ll appreciate this when I’m older. Much older. But right now, I hate it when people look at me and talk to me like I’m not an adult.

Story time: At the eye doctor's

I was at the eye doctors’ and the nurse? lady asked me if I came with anyone. Sometimes they ask this because they put eye drops in that make it difficult and dangerous to drive. That’s what I rightfully assumed. So, I said, “Well, my mom—” “Oh you came with your mother? Would you like to bring her in here with you?” Lady, I’m almost 30 and might even be older than you because you look really young! I wanted to say, but instead I said, “Oh, no, it’s fine.” I just didn’t feel like explaining that my mom dropped me off because I can most certainly handle this myself and besides, my mom does not speak good Japanese so it would do more harm than good to bring her in because she won’t understand anything :woman_facepalming:

This last peeve, I get salty

And lastly, I look, apparently, slightly foreign (double American and Japanese) although I don’t really think so. Some Japanese people think that because they didn’t hear me the first time, they must now switch to English and say something in English. Give the shy person a chance to speak! I respond in Japanese. I don’t care if that embarrasses them because they’re the ones assuming things. If I have trouble speaking in Japanese, I will tell you. Good for you, you can speak English. Yay. But I want Japanese because you are Japanese and we live in Japan, don’t we?

1 Like

I once saw this mother smacking (really loud SMACK) her 4-year-old crying daughter across the back of the head. Did that do anything? Shocked her to stop bawling. I felt so bad for the little girl.

2 Likes

But anyway, I do have some pet peeves.

1. Finding small bones when eating meat. I’m talking those tiny bones you don’t detect until it’s already in your mouth and you have to feel your way around it with your tongue so you can spit them out.

2. When alarms don’t go off or don’t wake you up. This happens to me way too many times. I set multiple alarms, sometimes on multiple devices too, and yet I will still oversleep by a few hours. Hate that when it happens.

3. When I copy-paste to Wattpad and it wrecks the formatting, whether it be removing the italics or making all center-aligned text left-aligned instead.

4. Dialogue written in fiction like this:

“This is dialogue”, he said.

IT IS NOT A THING IN BRITISH ENGLISH. SINGLE QUOTES ARE. AND THAT LINK YOU SENT ME BTW APPLIES TO ACADEMIC WRITING AND QUOTES WHICH IS SEPARATE FROM DIALOGUE AND FICTION WRITING. SAYING THIS AS SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN BRITISH-EDUCATED FOR 12 YEARS. COMMAS OUTSIDE QUOTE MARKS FOR DIALOGUE IN FICTION AIN’T BRITISH, IT’S BULLS—T.

Yes I have actually endured that before. When I asked a British person if it was actually a thing, she replied: “My English lit professor and I are screaming.”

And being Canadian doesn’t give you a pass, you may like to mix UK and US English but this is just plain wrong.

1. The lack of bidets in restrooms. Entered a restroom in a Philippine mall recently and then when I entered the toilet stall, there was no bidet :upside_down_face:

I swear Indonesia and Japan are the only two countries where I can very comfortably use public bathrooms, and maybe some other countries that do have bidets. The rest of the world needs to adopt them smh

1. American public restrooms in general. Why do you guys have gaps between stall doors :sob: I CAN SEE WHO’S INSIDE OR SEE THE PERSON OUTSIDE MY STALL, IT’S UNCOMFORTABLE.

Like in other countries, when you close the stall door, the stall is actually closed. You can’t see a thing outside (or inside if you’re from outside). It’s great. Privacy. I can poop and pee in peace. But the bathrooms I’ve been to in America all have gaps that are way too big for my liking, like can’t you engineer better stalls or do you like to watch other people pee. Does it not feel like an invasion of privacy to you guys.

Maybe not all restrooms are like that but the amount of restroom stalls I’ve seen with huge gaps is just :confounded:

Also, what is up with not having lids on the toilet seats. That I also do not understand.

I probably have more but that’s all I can think of for now :face_with_spiral_eyes:

2 Likes

I’m not to your extent, but I also dislike fish with bones. I like salmon and you can get boneless salmon. Good.

1 Like

I can understand when it’s something traumatizing and you can’t overcome it easily. I try not to judge, and never really say anything.

Dogs are different though, because they tend to be more vicious than cats or at least a bit more aggressive to handle and control. They also charge at you, etc. Cats keep to themselves and if they don’t like you, don’t trust you, or don’t want to be picked up or want the attention, they will run away. Most of the time when people are scratched, it’s because they didn’t respect the cat’s wishes. And then they hate on the cat (and all cats for that matter) because they think the cat is the problem, not them. You have to earn a cat’s love, a cat’s respect for you to give it attention. And that’s different with dogs.

But animals overall, specifically strays, tend to be vicious and aggressive if they’ve been abused. I’ve even seen dozens of videos where someone finds a stray cat or a stray dog who is very aggressive but has been abused and is malnourished, etc. and they take them in and take care of them and the animal realizes they’re in good hands and loves on them.

This can be said about anything. Like I’m deathly afraid of spiders to a point where I scream and runaway and I’m ready to burn the house down. But I’ve overcome the fear enough to handle the situation. I know they’re afraid of me and in the back of my head, I know they will only ever bite me if they find me to be aggressive toward them (at least, that’s what I’ve heard). So while I may not be able to pick them up myself, I can stare at them, squish them, or sometimes use a device to pick them up and put them outside. And honestly, I don’t even know where the fear came from because I’ve never been bitten by a spider. :sweat_smile:

I’m just saying that like, people can’t always let their fears overrun their lives. Depending on what it is, they may even lose out on extraordinary experiences. :woman_shrugging:

My main pet peeve, though, was that people just hate cats. And it especially saddens me since there’s a superstition about cats out there, especially among religious people. There are people who will kill cats (specifically black cats on Halloween) because it’s been said that the Devil is a cat or that cats are evil or something. :pensive:

Yesss. Like, why didn’t it go off?! :rage:

Completely agree! I hate that!

THAT ALSO GRINDS MY GEARS. IT DOES NOT BELONG ON THAT SIDE OF THE QUOTATION MARKS. :rage:

I wish America would start using bidets. I’ve never used one before but I think it would help so much, especially when it comes to using less paper products…

Tell me about it. :unamused: :melting_face: I hate bathroom stalls. I’m always so happy and surprised when I walk into a gas station, restaurant, or other place where the stalls are separated by actual walls and there’s no gaps. It’s on a rare occasion, though.

But they’re used for multiple reasons (that I found on the internet) such as: they’re cheaper to make, they allow a better way of cleaning, they can be “safer” if someone needs to escape their stall, and they allow a better restriction on drugs and sex usage. :thinking: :woman_shrugging:

I think it’s because there’s not much of a need for one. At home, the lids are needed because things that you store by the toilet can accidentally fall in. You may sit on it for something or use it for something else.

Public restrooms don’t have things stored and everyone uses it for a single reason whereas, at home, it may be different. Plus, lids may also break a lot more faster in a public setting and, when you include the public, it may be a disastrous thing like people not realizing the lid is down and peeing or pooping on top of it, especially if they ran out of time…

Just thought of another random pet peeve… :sweat_smile:

When the toilet paper is under, not over. And when people don’t put the toilet paper on the rod of the holder… :rage:

1 Like

Yeah, the whole point here is that person being so stubborn and lacking in self-awareness can really grind my gears. If they knew or even tried to consider the possibility they may be wrong, it wouldn’t come to that point. People are indeed far from logical beings in many cases. Oftentimes ego, pride and ignorance are more powerful determinants of our behaviour than wanting to find out the truth of the matter at hand.

Oh, it gets more “fun” than that. Being aware of where you’re at causes problems with that, too.

For example, I’ve been an admin for Troll forums. I feel bad for people that expect “intellectual integrity” in those situations because the whole game of it is to be insulting without going so far as to get censored.

But a lot of them I didn’t feel sorry for because they’d cry foul on others for their “lack of integrity” then turn around and do the same crap to others, from their own biases and not see the hypocrisy. What the heck you doing in a troll forum when you can’t take what you dish out?!

I’m naturally inclined towards arrogance and am assertive, so I spend a lot of time poking fun at that. For one, I find it diffuses the situation a little, but it’s also a reminder to have some freaking mercy on others who show my own behaviors towards me, since manknid is inclined to be the most annoyed by what they themselves do to others. Not always, but quite often.

Fair point.
Although, based on your description of said forums, it sounds like a perfect place for already toxic people to flourish even more. That’s why I’m not really surprised with your story.

Unlike many people, you seem to be aware of your qualities and flaws. That’s already a huge step forward that certain individuals will never take either because they just don’t see or outright refuse to accept it.

And yeah, overall, I think you are right. Context matters.

Some of them certainly are. I’d say around a 50%-50% mix? The rest are far more laid back except for a strong streak of liking to poke people who act like this real hard. Kind of the difference between a wolf and a sheepdog.

I got severely burned out on dealing with people like that. Mostly had a habit of when I was called in of telling them, “Why are you making me adult today? Can you not just adult yourselves?!”

Some of it is upbringing. I mean, I pretty much rank as a genius, but when everyone in your immediate family is, too, and the adults have 20 more years on you, and can even call you out on your b.s? Top that off with a Noblesse Oblige attitude, an in-depth education on the merits of weaker people, diecussions on how success and failure can ruin people and animals, care about discouraging/encouraging talents?

I mean, I’d have to lose half my mind to not see that there’s no “I have arrived” moment to life.