Polls For Fun

Yeah it makes sense.

1 Like

Oh, okay then.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Only thing I was ā€œfussingā€ was the lack of assertive opinion for plunking them all together.

1 Like

Ah, okay.

Iā€™m pretty sure I have. Like the idea seem familiar but I couldnā€™t give you any names /:

1 Like

That is fine if you canā€™t give me any names.
I greatly appreciate it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

iā€™ve actually read/am reading some series like that such as Discword by Terry Pratchett and the Hainish Cycle by Ursula K. le Guin although in the Hainish cycle itā€™s more like different worlds in the same universe.

1 Like

No, this is what I am talking about and I shall give an example.

Say there are two stories taken place on some fictional planet call Vos. These stories are standalones and will NOT be made into a novel series. However, the stories still take place on Vos and are centered around the world of Vos a little. Still, the two stories are very different from the characters to the plot. Yet the stories both take place on Vos for whatever reason the author has. But these stories are NOT a series or some anthology. They are both novels with itā€™s own characters and plot but the world is very much the same.

Does that still make sense or not at all?

1 Like

Sounds like Star Wars. Some of them are related to each other (not talking about the prequels, original or sequel trilogy), and sometimes characters make cameos in other movies, but the plot is different with different characters. Like the Mandalorian, Star War: Rebelsā€¦

3 Likes

Interesting. Donā€™t know why I didnā€™t think about that. LOL!

1 Like

Kind of like Six of Crows and Shadow and Bone? (I know the other books in the Grishaverse do have some level of overlap, but for the sake of this, Iā€™m only talking about those two books)
The two books take place at different times, in different places, and to my knowledge, the main cast of characters are completely separate at that point, but do take place in the same universe

1 Like

yeah that fits the example iā€™m talking about. while theyā€™re series its actually more of a convenient grouping of books. while not all books in discworld are stand-alones, and there are overlapping characters but the stories are not really overlapping. for example in discworld the first two books: the color of magic and the light fantastic, is more or less a duology about a wizard, a tourist, and a luggage which also features a wild cast of side characters including a character called Death who is in fact the embodiment of death whom the mcs have several encounters with but is not a main character; another book in Discworld is Mort, about a kid named Mort who is Deaths apprentice and while Death appears in both worlds, neither stories are actually connected other than the world and maybe some overlapping side characters

1 Like

The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit come to mind, athough you may count that as a prequel now I think about it. If I remember correctly though, Tolkien wrote a lot of books in his world, like thereā€™s a whole other series next to LotR that could be seen as standalone (not sure tho, never read them).

Also Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them takes place in the same universe as the Harry Potter series, but in New York/Paris instead of Brittain. The main cast is completely different for the whole first movie (Dumbledore appeared in the second movie) and the plot is related to a bad guy that is mentioned in the HP series and seen in a vision, but never met or interacted with. Some of the backstory between characters is build upon and expanded and the main characterā€™s animal guide is mentioned as a school book in Sorcerers/philosophers stone. Also the concept of obscurals is introduced and I realized you also hear about one in the HP series, so most of FBaWtFT is lore/world expansion basically acting out the run up to a big historical event in maigcal history.

2 Likes

Anyone else just randomly forget how to spell your name?

I forgot how to spell my last name for a couple of seconds & had to sound it out lmao

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

3 Likes

Um, chopped cow muscles? :eyes: @Zena

4 Likes

My middle name is so weird I couldnā€™t spell it until I was 11 lmao

3 Likes

I usually do this when I have to spell it out loud for someone else :joy: (my real name, not my pen name, thatā€™s for online only).

2 Likes

thereā€™s been times when i was trying to write my name and then my parent come over and ask why iā€™m butchering it. in my defense they couldā€™ve made my name much easier to write by using different characters. iā€™ve also butchered he pronunciation of my last name before

2 Likes

How are your drawing skills?

• Great, just great.
  • I am improving each and everyday.
  • I donā€™t mean to brag but my drawing skills are epic.
  • What drawing skills? I suck at drawing.
  • I donā€™t even draw. So, there is that.

0 voters

6 Likes

omg yess xD :joy: I swear Iā€™m still laughing my head off at that even tho its been a while XDD :cut_of_meat:

4 Likes