Quote a sentence out of context: your own writing, your fav book, movie, anime, manga, etc.

Examples:

• “Just keep swimming.”
  • “What’s up doc?”
  • “If. If is good.”
  • “To infinity, and beyond!”
  • “Savvy?”

Own writing examples:

• “You’re my second bestest friend.”
  • " I’m scared to stay, but aren’t they more scared?"
  • “Today, egotistical rich men and painted ladies were the upper crust, the cream of society, and a true snob mob that sat atop their imaginary thrones.”

So, tell me, out of context, your favorite quotes from your own writing, your favorite book or movie, anime or manga or webtoon, or maybe something your friends or family members have said :blush:

6 Likes

From my own work:

“Sweeting, surely you don’t intend to marry this buffoon in the filibeg?”

“No, Daddy. In the church.”

From Watership Down, which I’m reading right now…I’m up to the part where the bunnies cross the river:

“If you want to bless me you can bless my bottom, for it is sticking out of the hole.”

I’ll just let you guess what’s going on in that scene… (>‿◠):v:

4 Likes

I wrote this today:

There are many questions that philosophers have spent lifetimes trying to answer. Why do innocent people suffer? How can one live a good life? Can we rely on our senses to show us the truth? Today I shall explore a lesser known but equally important question, what if Goku was a girl?

6 Likes

“People like to say love is unconditional, but it’s not, and even if it was unconditional, it’s still never free. There’s always an expectation attached. They always want something in return. Like they want you to be happy or whatever and that makes you automatically responsible for their happiness because they won’t be happy unless you are … I just don’t want that responsibility.” ― Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility.

5 Likes

“Alright, guys, it’s teamwork all the way.”
“Yeah! We’ll be the team, you do the work.”

6 Likes

HA! :laughing:

3 Likes

I shall do my best, but I am still in the first draft stage. I will return with something tomorrow later.

1 Like

Something I wrote:

“Impulse did good today.”
“He’s right. I only hissed at one person, and that was because they screamed “CAT” a bunch of times.”

From The Lost Heir (a Wings of Fire book):

“There’s a tree. In the forest.”
“No way. A tree in the forest?”

4 Likes

The next time I am interrupted, I will kill one of you ~ Reclusiarch Grimaldus, Helsreach.

Eight-hundred armed paratroopers is an awful lot just for a Good Will tour ~ British PM.
Oh-no, Prime Minister, it’s just an awful lot of Good Will ~ Israeli ambassador.
(Yes, Prime Minister)

Please move our tanks away from the border, we’re concerned about a possible war ~ British Army liaison.
Don’t worry, we’ve just moved the border ~ Israeli Army liaison.
(1967 communications)

A building that does not exist, now does not exist ~ IAF.

You must go out, but you don’t have to come back ~ US Coast Guard.

When the barometer starts spinning like a stopwatch, be somewhere else ~ Family saying about sailing.

The Australian Light Horse are an elite unit whose only weakness are their British commanders ~ German commander from The Light Horse film.

You should wear this (wraps tallit around my shoulders) ~ Jewish chap in a cowboy costume.
I’m not Jewish ~ me.
The rabbi’s drunk, he won’t care ~ Jewish chap.
(Encounter at a Sydney synagogue during Purim)

4 Likes

I have the book, too! I need to read it some time soon. I’ll look for that quote :wink:

2 Likes

That truth right there.

A similar sort of phrase to “love is unconditional” is “money can’t buy happiness”. On IG, I brought it up. You’re supposed to say you’d be happy without money, but the truth is, there are a lot of things in our lives which make us happy, but which we need money to get. So, money CAN buy happiness. Especially feel it with the broken economy making everything so darn expensive :confused:

Sorry, got a little gloomy there.

Was “The Sea of Tranquility” overall a good book? I’ve been curious about it. It’s sci-fi, right?

2 Likes

You can take from your favorite webtoons or manhwa if you want, too :wink: Doesn’t have to be your own writing.

2 Likes

Out of context, I can’t tell if this is serious or sarcastic XD It’s great out of context :wink:

1 Like

:open_mouth:

1 Like

The happiness that one gets from buying things doesn’t last very long, especially compared to the debt you can rack up. Ask any shopaholic.

1 Like

True. But there’s not many in anime/manga or something else that really grab at me, at the moment.

I am going to do something from my own story and shall return.

2 Likes

Film… “We’re gonna need a bigger boat!”

Book… A corpse glow, a light that illuminated nothing.

My own work… Upon and within it’s form, lay a decay, a decay that was eternal.

SD

2 Likes

that’s true! no, don’t worry. gloomy is basically my middle name at this point.

it’s definitely a good read! it’s more of a romance, it’s not a sci-fi although i believe there is a sci-fi that has the same name i think, though i think that one is authored by paul russell. this one is a contemporary young adult type of romance book, it’s about a friendship between a girl - who doesn’t speak at school due to the belief that words have lost their meaning and also because she’s a :sparkles: trauma :sparkles: child, and a lonely boy - who has also faced loss and struggles with his own demons and also kinda isolates himself. they basically kinda relate to each other in terms of struggle and i guess, they also heal together too but it sparks up this connection between them.

1 Like

In the 1960s, Israel helped Britain develop their Chieftain battle tank. Britain had several Chieftain tank prototypes in Israel, near the border with the Sinai desert, for testing when the Six Day War (1967) began. The war ended with Israel in control of both the Negev and the Sinai deserts…and a few other places too…

Later Britain caved to international pressure, kicked Israel out of the Chieftain development program, and sold the tank to Israel’s adversaries. In response, Israel developed their own (home-made) tank series called the Merkava. The Chieftain was far less successful than the Merkava.

When you’re engaging a Chieftain what do you aim at, the tank or the recovery vehicle parked next to it? ~ British Army joke.

3 Likes

3 Likes