RFloetry's Art Thread

OMG this is a gold mine! Thank youuuu. :pray:

1 Like

Theo attempt two is going much better. Same model, but different pose, and the shadowing was less intense. I think that’s what was tripping me up. That my last reference was originally in color and the contrast was too much where I couldn’t properly see certain details.

1 Like

Taking a break on drawing OCs. Tried referencing some Legend of Korra characters. I like the art style.

3 Likes

I envy you able to draw people.

I have no idea how the sketch oval head thing works :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Let me show you the hidden technique!

2 Likes
2 Likes

I can draw a head maybe, but it’s the rest of the body that’s like :woman_shrugging: lol especially in poses? Eek. :scream:

2 Likes

This was a big “ah hah” moment for me recently. Realizing that the line I drew for the “front” of the skull, the face sticks out of it, it should try to stick too much to the line.

2 Likes

Kind of having an emo drawing day. I have this perfect “vision” of what I want my book cover to be, and I’d like to draw it… except I can’t.

I was looking at my old sketchbooks from like a decade ago, and I realized back then, my drawing was not only expressive, but I understood anatomy a lot more back then. I regret letting the years waste that potential. On the bright side, it’s like, if I did it once, I can get it back? And then at the same time, that was when I was constantly drawing days at a time bc of classes, had the guidance of professors/other students etc. I feel like having to “re-learn” is going to be a lot more difficult because I no longer have that support, and have to try to remember what I lost.

I know I shouldn’t give up, but it’s definitely discouraging. :disappointed:

1 Like

The image is broken :thinking: I can’t see what it is.

1 Like

1 Like

I discovered something. The problem wasn’t the drawing itself, it was trying to draw digitally. I pulled out my old sketchbook and started drawing there instead. I had a MUCH better time. I also decided to take a photo of said sketches, get some PS brushes that imitated pencils, and it made such a difference.

I’m working on my OC Lancet. First rough concept. Something about his eyes bug me… :thinking: I think they’re too big? They’re two versions of his eyes below, they look similar but I moved the pupils more inward…

4 Likes

I wanted to share this resource I found, and it helped SO much! I think I was so focused on drawing everything, bodies, arms etc. that I forgot to take a step back, and start small. So I’m focusing on faces/heads. And this cartooning guy teaches basics as a series. It’s so gooood. I watch him while I’m washing dishes. :smile:

1 Like

You’re focused on portraits, so can you tell me if this guy looks East Asian to you, too?

2 Likes

Hmm, I’m no expert, but he can be? It wouldn’t be my first thought when looking at this, I think, “A vampire/demon!” but since you’re mentioning it, East Asian fits him. :thinking:

1 Like

He has such a low nose bridge and very round face.

1 Like

I think it’s the round face, and eyes that sell it as that, yep. Though there are other ethnicities with round faces and narrow eyes like that too. :thinking: Nice work on the pose and the clothes! I’m trying not to think about those now lol :laughing: Poses are hard!

1 Like

It’s not mine but the artist would appreciate the compliment.

1 Like

Usually they have more prominent nose bridges, like some Europeans. Maybe he is Pacific Islander, like Fillipino?

1 Like