RFloetry's Art Thread

Not an artist but am 100% Asian born and raised in Southeast Asia, hope you don’t mind me jumping in.

I wouldn’t call him East Asian outright, but he could pass as being Asian? He just doesn’t look full East Asian, emphasis on full East. He could pass as mixed East Asian though.

As a Filipino I would prefer you call Filipinos just Southeast Asian I’ve literally heard not a single Filipino in my entire life identify as a Pacific Islander yes he can pass as a Filipino. I think I’ve seen a Filipino teacher in my school who vaguely resembles him too.

3 Likes

Most Americans don’t think of themselves as North Americans, but they are. The Phillipines are a bunch of islands in the Pacific.

I just had to ask if other people though the same way because he doesn’t look like that in other art, but the book doesn’t specify his race, just that he is pale and has dark hair.

1 Like

Japan is also a bunch of islands in the Pacific but nobody calls them Pacific Islander, do they? No. They call Japanese people Asian.

Calling Filipinos Pacific-Islander is such a Western thing to do honestly :neutral_face: Filipinos call themselves Southeast Asians or just Asians, and their neighbors call them Asians too. I’ve only heard this type of thing coming from those outside of Asia.

I just don’t like it when non-Asians call Filipinos Pacific Islander because it’s as if only Japanese, Koreans, and Chinese have the “right” to be called Asian. There’s more to Asia than these countries too. The Philippines is well within Asia and is in close proximity to several other Asian countries—it’s an hour’s flight away from Taiwan and Hong Kong. It’s not some tiny group of islands isolated deep in the Pacific or anything like that.

Anyway, to be more on-topic:

Interesting then :thonk: if the book doesn’t specify his race then I guess it would be a valid interpretation. Do the other characters have their races mentioned?

3 Likes

I see.

1 Like

Latest progress! Used a reference, but no tracing this time! Yay!

1 Like

No OC work last few days, but a little fan art. It’s not done, but I’m really proud of it. I traced the pose, but the face/coloring was all me. Hades from Lore Olympus.

2 Likes

That looks pretty cool.

I wonder how Odin would look in that art style.

1 Like

Odin from a particular fandom or Odin in general? :thinking:

1 Like

The OG Odin.

Rachel never draws beards so I’m extra curious.

1 Like

I tried drawing Genryusai (who has a very long beard) :smiley: from Bleach because he’s beast, but it came out terrible. Also tried Magic Pose. I think it’ll be useful, but it’s time consuming just to set up the model on the phone’s small screen. Probably better on an iPad. :grimacing: But it is a tool I’d like to use more often.

Crossing my fingers for a new drawing tablet this holiday. :pray: Would def make drawing smoother.

2 Likes

Drawing my OC Lancet using a pose that I very painfully put together in Magic Pose on my phone. It’s a very slow, excruciating process. Maybe that’s just me lol

So far so good. :crossed_fingers: I want to do something for my OCs where they won’t all suffer “same face syndrome” but baby steps I guess.

1 Like

Today’s progress on my OC Lancet. I’m starting to regret not going simpler as far as style goes, but I am picking up some things as I color, finding brushes/techniques that work for me little by little. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

He shares his name with medical equitment. Odd.

1 Like

Lol his favorite weapon also happens to be throwing knives. He wears a knife scabbard beneath his racer’s jacket. :grin: The naming was intentional, and a bit of a pun.

1 Like

Aaaand I’m done. Lancet Steel. Main love interest in Debts to Dead Men. Racer, and mobster.

I really like how the lips turned out. I had the most trouble with the hair/ear. :weary:

2 Likes

I made a Deviant Art! https://www.deviantart.com/rfloetry

I might totally regret this. :laughing:

1 Like

Let’s hope you don’t.

Also, are you able to draw ugly people? Or at least people who don’t look conventionally attractive?

1 Like

I guess? I used to draw from nude models in my schools days, all shapes, sizes and ages. Young, old, thin, not so thin. I also used to draw a lot of random people on the train on my commute to work. Though I haven’t drawn “real” people from reference in years. Probably should though? :thinking:

1 Like

Here is an inspiring image for you. I think that birthmarks are inspiringly beautiful.

1 Like

I wanted to give this a try. A rough sketch. Not complete but hopefully good for a start? What do you think? :slight_smile:

1 Like