So Chat GPT to help with writing. Yay or nay?

Chat GPT has been all the rage online and even at my job.

https://quillbot.com/blog/quillbot-and-chatgpt/?utm_medium=paid_search&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=blog_premium&campaign_type=search&gclid=Cj0KCQjw27mhBhC9ARIsAIFsETGdecLHUzZqGy_13yhvrbGwkR_11EGO5JbvTAgikNT6MrhuHyxZHzkaAjlNEALw_wcB

I know we all have particular feelings as far as AI generating art or writing its own stories, but I’m wondering if it can still be useful as a helper versus something that takes over? Like I have times where I write and I feel amazing. Like all the right words, the right pacing, the right descriptions, just come rapid firing out of my fingers. Unfortunately that’s maybe 40% of the time because the rest of the time is me forgetting the English language and looking up, what’s that word, the thing! The thing that I know what it is OMG what is that WORD! :laughing:

I get so bogged up with the words I’m using because I KNOW I can do better, and it slows me down. I know I should only worry about that when I “edit” but I also find it hard to make progress on a story if I’m really unhappy with the quality of a chapter. So I’m wondering if I can use Chat GPT as a thesaurus, a brain stormer, name generator and even to test if it’s possible to feed it samples of writing I am proud of so when it looks to “improve” my writing, it’s based on my own actual writing style? Not sure if that’s possible but I’ll try it. Have any of you tried AI tools to help with writing? Worth it?

2 Likes

I’d never use it myself as the copyright issue concerns me. As I understand it, it’s just spitting out someone else’s sentences–it can’t actually create its own writing. So if I used it I’d have to rewrite everything it wrote anyhow, so it’s not worth the effort to me. But power to you if you can make use of it somehow! __〆(..)

3 Likes

I was thinking about that. That everything it produces is based on data from someone else’s work. I felt like I could use that to my advantage though so long as I know it’s my own work it’s basing it’s data off of? I’ll have to experiment but I tried using it as a thesaurus last night or asking it to give me alternate ways of saying “he/she said” and it was pretty helpful. Think I’m going to see if it can compile a cheatsheet of verbs/synonyms for the most common words and compile it neatly so I can refer to it whenever my brain is in toddler mode. :thinking:

1 Like

Ok, I’m convinced. I’ve been using ChatGPT this morning where I instructed it to give me a Synonym Cheatsheet based on words I provided, and to organize in a table format. I asked it to give me between 5 to 10 synonyms per word, and to organize it in alphabetical order by the words I gave it. I also created short commands so I can add new words easier. This is going to help my dead ADHD brain SO much! Here is the table I have so far in case it helps anyone else. :smiley:

Word Synonyms
anger rage, fury, indignation, wrath, ire
ask inquire, question, query, quiz, interrogate
beautiful pretty, lovely, attractive, stunning, gorgeous
blush redden, flush, crimson, turn red, go pink
buzz hum, whir, murmur, drone, vibrate
caress stroke, pet, fondle, touch, gentle
choke gag, suffocate, strangle, smother, stifle
climb ascend, scale, mount, clamber, scramble
cry weep, sob, wail, bawl, whimper
fling toss, hurl, throw, cast, pitch
growl snarl, rumble, grumble, roar, gnarl
handsome good-looking, attractive, appealing, charming, dashing
happy joyful, elated, ecstatic, delighted, pleased
hug embrace, hold, cuddle, snuggle, clasp
hyperventilate breathe heavily, pant, gasp, wheeze, gulp
laugh chuckle, giggle, snicker, cackle, chortle
limp hobble, shuffle, stagger, stumble, totter
look gaze, stare, glance, peek, peer
loud noisy, cacophonous, blaring, booming, raucous
pull tug, yank, drag, haul, tow
punch hit, strike, smack, knock, pummel
push shove, press, thrust, propel, nudge
quiet silent, hushed, muted, tranquil, peaceful
run sprint, jog, dash, bolt, race
sad unhappy, sorrowful, mournful, blue, downcast
scream yell, shout, screech, holler, bellow
shock stun, jolt, startle, astound, surprise
sigh breathe out, exhale, moan, lament, mourn
small tiny, little, petite, mini, compact
smile grin, beam, smirk, simper, twinkle
soft gentle, smooth, velvety, plush, tender
squeeze compress, grip, clutch, press, pinch
tease mock, taunt, ridicule, jeer, provoke
think ponder, consider, contemplate, reflect, deliberate
throw hurl, toss, fling, cast, lob
tremble quiver, shake, shudder, vibrate, tremor
turn rotate, spin, revolve, pivot, swivel
whimper whine, whimper, mewl, sob, blubber
whisper murmur, mumble, breathe, hiss, sigh
yank jerk, pull, tug, wrench, extract
4 Likes

My boyfriend uses it all the time for fun and to inspire him to write music and it’s actually really cool, great for inspiration.

1 Like

I used it just now to help me summarize my chapters and it’s such a great help! It gave me all the key points of the chapter which is helpful as I’m not very good in following my outline. Example:

Gabrielle is a journalist who is dedicated to uncovering the truth and pursuing the big story. Her coworker and friend, Leila, is distracted by the image of Stephen Collins on the television, while Gabrielle is annoyed by her lack of focus — Gabrielle is consumed by her work, constantly striving to uncover the next big story. Leila invites Gabrielle to an after-work party, but their boss Carine interrupts their conversation by approaching their desk. She summons Gabrielle to her office where she reveals a new project. Gabrielle is tasked with investigating Stephen Collins, a subject Carine believes is not as clean as he seems. Despite feeling anxious about the project, Gabrielle is excited about the opportunity to break a big story. Carine reminds Gabrielle that this is a secret project, and nobody else can know about it.

2 Likes

Nice! Maybe I’ll try it for prompts too just to get the brain exercise. Or ask it to teach me one new word a day.

Ooh, I hadn’t thought of that! :open_mouth: I’m definitely going to try this. I’m bad at summarizing too. :smiley:

I started talking to Chat GPT today, and it is actually scary :joy:

2 Likes

It’s going to get better with GPT-4 and GPT-5. Should be available to the public (free?) sometime next year or sooner.

Oh, and apparently there’s a variant of GPT that can be installed on a personal computer (for localised use).

1 Like

I tried chatgpt to help me figure out a scene. It helped me break out of a slump so it was worth it. I couldn’t use anything exactly how it came out from the bot but it gave me some ideas.

An interesting use for this tool is that it is ideal for pointing out cliches. Because that’s what it does, isn’t it? It tries to mimic what’s been written before and so it will mimic the majority of what it finds.

And so I read what it wrote me and had a major eye roll at the cliches but then I noticed… I use a couple of them. :joy:

It helps point out what you might not notice otherwise.

Here are a few examples for your reading pleasure. It’s actually not too bad.

Summary

Kamiccola#6312: write me a scene of a psychic medium capturing a ghost into a glass jar. Hemingway style.

AI(chatgpt): The psychic medium stood before the ghost, her eyes fixed and intense. She could feel the specter’s presence, its energy pulsating through the air. She extended her hand, fingers outstretched, beckoning the ghost to her.

With a sudden burst of movement, the ghost rushed towards her, desperation etched into its gossamer features. The psychic medium remained motionless, focused solely on her task.

As the ghost approached, the medium produced a glass jar from beneath her cloak. With a quick flick of her wrist, she released a spell, a burst of shimmering light that encircled the ghost.

The ghost writhed and screamed as the spell tightened around it, struggling to break free. But the medium was steadfast. She calmly reached out with her hand and captured the ghost within the jar.

For a moment, there was silence. Then, in a flash of light, the ghost was gone. The medium smiled, a sense of satisfaction washing over her.

In the stillness that followed, she pondered the possibilities the captured ghost could bring. She had a feeling that it would not be the last time their paths would cross.

Kamiccola#6312: write me a scene of a ghost being captured by magic into a glass jar. Writing style of John Green.

AI(chatgpt): The ghost hung suspended in the air, flickering and wailing, its agony echoing off the walls. The young magician stood before it, her hands outstretched, her lips moving in a silent incantation. Her hair was disheveled and her eyes were bright with determination.

The ghost writhed as the energy of the spell flowed around it, its anger and despair whipped up into a frenzy. But the magician held steady, channeling the power of the universe into the spell.

Slowly, the ghost began to glow, its energies coalescing into a single point of light. The magician took a deep breath, her heart pounding in her chest, and reached out her hand, grasping the ghost within her palm.

With a sudden flash of light, the ghost was gone, captured within the glass jar that was clasped firmly in the magician’s hand. She gazed at it for a moment, a small smile tugging at the corner of her lips, before slipping the jar into the pocket of her jacket.

As she turned to leave, she stole one last glance at the spot where the ghost had been, now empty and silent. It had been a difficult capture, but one that had been worth it. For now, she knew that she had a powerful ally in the struggle against the forces of darkness that sought to consume the world.

Kamiccola#6312: write me a scene of a ghost being captured by magic into a glass jar. Writing style of Johnathan Stroud. Feelings of empty triumph.

AI(chatgpt): The ghost flickered and sputtered, its frustration palpable. It had been vanquished before, but this time it could sense that something was different. The young wizard standing before it had a power that it could not comprehend, a raw magic that surged in waves around him.

The wizard began to chant, his voice rising in a crescendo that echoed off the walls. The ghost writhed and howled, but the wizard continued on, his incantation growing stronger with each passing breath.

Suddenly, a beam of pure energy shot from the wizard’s wand, striking the ghost and imprisoning it within a gleaming glass jar. The ghost wailed and twisted, but the jar held fast, trapping its essence within.

The wizard surveyed his handiwork with a smug grin, his victory hollow and empty. He had captured the ghost, yes, but in doing so he had also robbed it of its last vestiges of life. The wizard could feel the ghost’s pain and despair, echoing within the confines of the jar.

As he pocketed the jar, the wizard’s triumph was tempered by a sense of guilt. He had wielded his magic with ruthless precision, but at what cost? The ghost may have been defeated, but the price had been steep.

He turned to leave, weighed down by the weight of his own actions. The victory was his, but it was not one to be celebrated. He knew that he would carry the weight of his

I also tested if it’s any good at writing loglines. Interesting results.

Summary

Kamiccola#6312: write me a logline for an internally driven paranormal book series about a psychic medium. The logline must be under 160 characters.

AI(chatgpt): A psychic medium navigates life, death, and her own inner demons in a gripping paranormal book series that melds the spirit world with dark realism.

Kamiccola#6312: write me a logline for an internally driven paranormal book series about a psychic medium. Personal drama. Heartfelt. Literary. The logline must be under 160 characters.

AI(chatgpt): A psychic medium battles her own inner darkness while navigates the spirit world, in a poetic and poignant book series exploring life, death, and humanity.

These are blurbs from two books. I was wondering if it could create me a logline for the series.

Kamiccola#6312: Summarize the following into a logline about a paranormal book series about a psychic medium. Paranormal is normal to the gifted few. Ian’s senior year and all plans for the future are cut short when a car accident ends in a tragedy, forcing him to become his family’s caretaker. He doesn’t notice an anomaly in his new life until a cute girl enters the picture and unravels the layers of denial that have protected him from the pain of loss. There will be no “new normal” until Ian confronts the truth of what really happened the night of the accident and what supernatural miracle he was responsible for. Ian thinks he’s getting the hang of his supernatural powers but a surprise encounter with Melody, a professional psychic medium, forces him to put his skills to the test in a friendly duel. It’s all fun and games until the Grim Reaper gets involved.

AI(chatgpt): A young man forced into caretaking after tragedy, discovers his supernatural powers only to confront the truth of the trauma that sparked them, and faces greater challenges when he competes in a psychic duel against a professional medium, ultimately crossing paths with the Grim Reaper.

2 Likes

I’ve used ChatGPT and similar tools for offering critique on my writing. Its original composition abilities are lacking for creative work but it gives good feedback far more readily than human critics, with a far faster turnaround. Now if I could just make a ChatGPT bot that writes Wattpad comments…

2 Likes

Ooh! I definitely wanna try this now! :smiley:

Critique as in character development, loopholes etc. or technical stuff like grammar/punctuation/spelling etc? :thinking: How do you ask it for critique?

It is a little disturbing haha do not put sensitive/personal info into it at all costs. I don’t trust it, but I’ll use it lol

1 Like

I think Chat GPT is ultimately going to end up in the same category as Wikipedia and Course Hero and etc.

Technically you aren’t allowed to use it, but students are going to use it anyway…and they’ll figure out how to cover their tracks

As for AI taking over jobs and whatever, I don’t know haha.

For fiction though it’s such a personal thing…I can see other authors using it as a tool. Maybe to get unstuck if they’re struggling with writer’s block. But personally, I won’t be using it.

And for critique…lmao. I’m not having a robot tell me how to write my book. I’ll just stick with my critique groups.

2 Likes

Either for things like blurbs/summaries, or reading chapters and giving general impressions about themes/character development/etc. I just copy and paste however much text it can handle and see what it spits out. I’ve had more competent human critics, but I’ve also had far less competent human critics, and sometimes it’s just about spurring me to think about something in a different way than I initially did. Would I rather have human critics? Sure. Can I instantaneously summon them? No. So it is what it is.

3 Likes

You should join a critique group, or create your own on Discord. I love my discord writing workshop. We write together everyday and share feedback. It’s the real deal. I started it three years ago. Just gather your friends and make a small group. No author should have to rely on a robot for feedback :joy:

2 Likes

I have my circle of people I affectionately call my “off-Wattpad writing buddies,” but they’re only a few voices out of the many possible. We do find looking at AI analysis an amusing trifle, though: we’ve created a game of asking AI to write poems on weird topics of our choosing, then plugging back in the poems to see how it analyzes them.

The truth is, unfortunately, AI feedback is better than the average review shop on Wattpad, and might be a better return for the time it takes. Edge use cases like “tell me how someone would read this under Marxist analysis” and so on aren’t terribly relevant except as a curiosity, but occasionally you have a really specific question where the AI is faster. I’d take human critics over AI any day, but AI has passed the bare minimum threshold to be “interesting” in what it says. Until I can summon humans on demand without selling my soul or get hundreds of Wattpad comments in a day, it’s the best I can do when my peers are busy or don’t have much to say. Regardless of how much stake you’d put in the feedback, they’re good as conversation starters, something for you to think “hmm is that really so,” and IMO whatever outside spurs let us look at writing with fresh eyes are welcome.

Edit to add: the biggest constraint with most AI tools (though if I get API access to the 32K GPT4 model I should be fine) is that there’s only so much “context” they can process. And that might cover a first few chapters, but until they’re able to remember an entire book they’re not taking our jobs. Because once they expand in that regard, they gain an advantage for sheer efficiency in that humans complain when you ask them to read multiple chapters (let alone one chapter), but machines don’t. It’s interesting how a task that’s fairly easy for a human, read a few chapters and not forget what happened at the start, is such a bottleneck for machines.

2 Likes

That’s almost like using Aladin’s lamp for an editor.

1 Like