So, tell me, what is on your mind at the moment?

@Akje I guess I can just use the fur as like a low cut top

1 Like

Of course Sally Rooney captures contemporary life and conversations better than Tolkien did. Thatā€™s the whole point of her writing, thatā€™s the goal of contemporary fiction. It is not at all the point of Tolkienā€™s writing because he wrote genre fantasy and thatā€™s a completely other thing. That doesnā€™t make Rooney better than Tolkien, it just means they were accomplished in different areas.

Itā€™s fine if you donā€™t like genre fiction, you can just say that. But judging the LOTR fish on how well it climbs the contemporary lit tree is silly.

2 Likes

I wrote a story like that. but they hatched from an egg.

ā€¦ or did they.

2 Likes

I agree 100%. I suppose that Harry Potter is closer to contemporary literature, but the magic in that book series is almost as broken as the magic in Dragonball. Then again, magic is mainly the domain of the gods and certain ancient villains.

1 Like

Harry Potter is also genre fantasy. Itā€™s just middle grade (as in the target audience, not the quality) low fantasy rather than adult high fantasy.

iā€™ve never watched Dragonball so I canā€™t comment on itā€™s magic system. But for HP at least, I donā€™t think the magic system is broken so much as itā€™s just a soft magic system and because the target audience is younger the magic is treated more as a fun element than a serious one. Children donā€™t care about the logical implications of Hermoineā€™s time travel or any other such stuff.

1 Like

@J.L.O

1 Like

@TheTigerWriter Iin case youā€™re wondering, itā€™s videos like this that make people think that Japan is weirdā€¦

Thatā€™s so randomā€¦ the egg part.

2 Likes

i wanted them to wake up alone :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Haha so random.

1 Like
hmm

On a collaboration
Them: discord? want to discuss more
Me: sure!

On discord
Me: hi
them: hi

And thatā€™s all thatā€™s happened.

Iā€™m still waiting, yeah, yeah, yeah

(I know itā€™s ā€œstandingā€ not ā€œwaitingā€)

1 Like

chocolate.

4 Likes

What kind?

1 Like

thereā€™s too many options to choose from, but i really want a rolo rn.

2 Likes

might be in london next week who cheered

3 Likes

Omg Vox has got it right. ā˜œ(Ė†ā–æĖ†c)

Jane Friedman refutes this, but sheā€™s wrong imho. (ā™Æ^.^įƒ¦)

Sorry, Jane, but youā€™re out of touch. If you want to sell books today you have to sell your soul. Vox has described my life. (惎_<态)ćƒ¾(Ā“ā–½ļ½€)

3 Likes

Donā€™t do the boring stuff that everyone else does, and saturate TikTok with that. Youā€™re smarter than that.

2 Likes

Aww, thanks for the vote of confidence! Usually people tell me Iā€™m stoopid. (>ā€æā— ):v:

But no worries, Iā€™m never going on TikTok. I donā€™t even visit it. Everyone else would drown me out there anyhow, so thereā€™s no point. You canā€™t be heard if you shout in a room where everyone else is shouting too. Iā€™ll have to figure something else out once I get a good book series together. I just wonā€™t worry about it until then. ĀÆ\_(ļ­¢)_/ĀÆ

2 Likes

@MatthewJH

3 Likes

Michelle Schusterman has also responded to the Vox article, and I agree with her a thousand percent. (*ļ¼¾-ā€˜) 乃