Strange Things You've Had to Research for Your Writing

As writers, we usually research a multitude of topics to have a semblance of knowledge of what we’re talking about.

Tell me, what’s some of the strange things you’ve had to research for your writing.

Some of mine:

• wendigos :upside_down_face:

• how long it takes to get from America to Britain to France by different kinds of transporation :airplane:

• the SCP organization (the creepy one, not the agricultural one lol) :smiling_imp:

• ways to prolong a person’s torture :eyes:

• types of deadly booby traps :skull_and_crossbones:

• “American Ninja Warrior” obstacles :sweat_smile:

• what kinds of animals live in caves (…don’t Google this unless you’re into creepy crawly things lol):spider:

• the meanings of flowers and their colors :rose:

• the meaning of my characters’ names :memo:

10 Likes

soooo much pregnancy research that I started getting diaper ads #trustory

12 Likes

Don’t you like not even like kids? :joy:

2 Likes

nope, I don’t :joy:

2 Likes

Lol! I was about to say. I’m like I swear we had this convo :joy:.

1 Like

Synonyms/rhymes with _____ :eyes:

Ye gets some interesting stuff.

And types of roses.

4 Likes

Oh! I’ve had to Google the meaning of different rose colors and like that was interesting.

2 Likes

Omg! You just made me so curious, so I Googled the meaning of blue morning glories, and like I had just used the comparison without thinking too deep, but it’s like accurate lol. This same thing happened when I Googled the meaning of my characters’ names and they aligned perfectly lol.

2 Likes
  • same as you, how long it takes to get from one place to another by tram, train, bus, airplane, etc.
  • most and least effective poisons that you cannot taste
  • poisons that you cannot trace
  • meanings of flowers! yes!
  • what vegetation grows where and why
  • dresses for the right times
  • wolf anatomy

And more stuf fxD

3 Likes

‘Non-lethal places to stab someone that hurt a lot and cause a lot of blood loss.’

Yeah…

4 Likes

Anatomy is a bitch to Google! Luckily, I haven’t had to Google it lately, but I dread it.

2 Likes

We’re all sounding deranged and I love it. I once Googled what organs can I repeatedly hit to not kill someone but make them hurt and maybe little teeter on death’s line lol.

3 Likes

:joy: lol last time my mom caught me researching for a story she told me I couldn’t go into the kitchen for a week. I was just examining how serrated our kitchen knives where for a referance point… on a S.C. murder… that may or may not have involved steak knives… i’m not a serial killer mom i swear

2 Likes

That’s how it be lol. My bf walks in on me at the worst moments - like looking at plane ticket prices to another country or looking up the weird anatomy of a creature lol.

2 Likes

Omg I remember looking up how to kill someone without them bleeding or like, generally damaging the body.

2 Likes

I write an assassin book so…and I barely erase my history

• Different types of poisons, How much is lethal, How much can a human take, mithridatism

• Torture methods, how to interrogate someone

• Strange deaths that occurred, assassinations that happened, how to kill people successfully

• Viruses, and symptoms (it’s for a zombie book)

• Weapons, Martial arts, how to lie, how to not look like you’re lying

um…that kind of stuff…

2 Likes

The last part sounds like it’d come in handy when lying to your parents :joy:.

1 Like

I’m already a master at that~

1 Like

And I oop XD.

1 Like

Stick n poke tattoos

Why the colour indigo is in the rainbow

How to dye fabric with plants

Various types of ancient weaponry

Time travel theory

A couple jewelry methods

Genetics