Struggling Writers’ Daily Den: rant, share, complain, ask, daily progress thing (Part 1)

I could write a long list of references and terms people have indignantly demanded I fix. One of these included the word “monastery,” which was apparently too technical for my readers (I don’t delete many comments, but I think I deleted that one). There have also been long discussions about an architect, certain paintings that apparently are my being an old geezer reminiscing about my own school days (nope, they’re still on the walls of my school today), maybe a grocery store or two, pretty much everything you can think of. Readers can be so entitled sometimes, and it’s always the ones who know the least who think they have the most insightful critiques.

2 Likes

The concept for schools having different standards of wall adornment might be difficult for children to grasp. It’s anything from portraits of the founders of the schools to local talent murals, and then the kids own art and poor teacher’s bulletins, trophy cases, signatures of prominent seniors (in certain areas), decorated lockers for deceased kids, portable prefab buildings due to rapid growth or damage (thus lacking a soul of any sort). I went to at least 9 primaries as a kid, and traveled to others for competitions and picking up other’s kids. The idea that there’s some sort of standard that all schools must be laid out to rather baffles me. Singular buildings, multiple stories, barely attached halls, sprawling campuses, single classrooms with all the grades in it (and dressing up like pioneers).

What’s still being used is a very wide range that depends on funding and whatever has been destroyed by time and natural disasters.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s better to sleep than to stress your brain. Yes, do that, leave it until tomorrow (which is today now, I assume). Planning ahead is useful and good (says me, I know) but it helps a lot. Organizing things.

Yes, go for that. 4 day weekends are the best.

My goal for today (at least) is to do as little as possible. I’ve already poisoned my brain with CNCO. I crashed at like 6 am, lol.

2 Likes

It’s 9:45am here, and I’m working on chapter 5. My main character woke up on the morning that he was supposed to be released from the hospital feeling sick.

1 Like

That doesn’t sound too good. Is he sick from the thing he’s in the hospital for?

I just finished editing part one, kinda. The story has a cutting-off point. All this time it was about everyone scrambling to find the magical items, especially this one gang that wasn’t doing so well. Now all the nuisances are gone (dead) and the main gang can focus on being evil and the main good guys can focus on being good :stuck_out_tongue:

And the one kid who didn’t know what to do can finally chose his path.

1 Like

Yes, you can say that. The next paragraph has the lab nurse and the doctor investigating the test results and surprised by what they find.

1 Like

Finally have the first 5 chapter of Fireman’s Girl sorted out. It looked like I was adding a bit of material, because it now sits at a bit over 11.4K, but that’s including notes for chapter 6… gonna go edit Raised by the Mafia now, and will work on thirsty story tomorrow, swinging back to Fireman’s Daughter on Monday…

2 Likes

I’m on chapter 6 of my story. Sorry that it no title yet. I just wrote a surgery scene for my doctor’s patient. My story and it’s characters are coming along nicely.

1 Like

Heh, the guy followed up with the issue of …okay, if the singer has toxic fans, why would they make fun of his race?.. I am tempted to ask the guy if he is from this planet called Earth. :smile:

2 Likes

I am figuring out the best update times for my stories.

1 Like

Whenever they are ready.

1 Like

I find if I’m ahead, I forget to post them, sk, unless it’s scheduleable, it’s a waste.

1 Like

well, my project for tonight is to write different short stories with emotions to practice that and base it off a male char. Since i think it will help with my main book.

I find that weekends are a bit of a slog, though. For getting reads/views. Seems like Monday, Wednesday, and Friday are the best days from my records. I recorded the dates and times over the span of a week (don’t ask why but I did).

Posting them all at once doesn’t help with the suspense or the algorithm. You want people to speculate and talk about your book and anticipate it. Spreading it out works, as long as you post it 1-3 times a week, it seems.

Okay, I might not like some of the song choices for some of the chapters, but Raised by the Mafia is completed. May I never see it again.

1 Like

I found a good beat for my story soundtrack but the singing is awful, gonna try and find an instrumental.

1 Like

Found one.

2 Likes

Do it. I dare you. Stand up for all of us.

2 Likes

I’m up to 37k words for my contest wip. taking it nice and easy.

2 Likes