Struggling Writers’ Daily Den: rant, share, complain, ask, daily progress thing (Part 2)

Good morning.

3 Likes

Good morning!

1 Like

How are we doing today?

1 Like

I’m thinking about how primitive atari sports games were

1 Like

No, more like super-humans: cancer cells refuse to die like a good damaged cell.

Which is why it’s so hard to explain what’s going on there, for so many:

Cancer is literally the result of your cell’s ability to heal against damage turned into a threat against undamaged cells. You have to have some of this reparation to not loose to many cells after a sun burn, and since your white blood cells aren’t attacking what runs amok, some treatments are causing severe damage, like freezing a mole, so your wbc finally go and deal with the cancer.

A God level cell wouldn’t be damaged or parasitic by nature: it doesn’t need YOU.

2 Likes

Morning.

3 Likes

Well at least we can agree that they are abominations!

1 Like

Abomination is a fun word when you dig it back up in religious texts, and whatnot.

KJV Proverbs 6:16-19, used abomination

16 These six things doth the Lord hate, yea, seven are an abomination unto Him:

17 a proud look, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood,

18 a heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,

19 a false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

NIV Proverbs 6:16-19, used detestable

16 There are six things the Lord hates,
seven that are detestable to him:
17 haughty eyes,
a lying tongue,
hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil,
19 a false witness who pours out lies
and a person who stirs up conflict in the community.

Original: תּועבה
Transliteration: tô‛êbah tô‛êbah
Phonetic: to-ay-baw’
BDB Definition

1. a disgusting thing, abomination, abominable
  2. in ritual sense (of unclean food, idols, mixed marriages)
  3. in ethical sense (of wickedness etc)

Basically this is something absolutely disgusting, so as to make you want to vomit.

Most drawings of Cthulhu do not express how instinctively revolting it is supposed to be. Even demented angels are too pretty for whatever is supposed to be going on. This thing should trigger things like Trypophobia.

1 Like

Yeah, I can relate! From 1 POV stories to a 3 POV one… ouch!!!

6 Likes

Like cancer cells with embryos in them! Yea, really!

Cancerous tumors grow everything, including teeth. There isn’t a reasonable triggering of roles in the thing.

1 Like

oof, so much work :sob:

2 Likes

I’ve made a decision.
I shall use Google Docs for the editing/revising/rewriting stages of my novels.

To write strictly the zero drafts, I will use something similar to Microsoft Word, but not exactly.

I plan on posting online when things are in order with my writing.
I just need to find a place to post online for fun and nothing more.

There aren’t enough websites for hobby writers to share their novels and gain an audience without wanting to become some famed published novelist later. Why is that?

2 Likes

Honestly, all sites are like that, as far as I am concerned. It’s up to you what you want to become.

3 Likes

Yeah, very true!

1 Like

Feels like “click bait”. Like if you’re selling it off as a “romance” but in the end, the two characters don’t actually get together, which is the point of the genre, it’ll feel like I was tricked. Now if the story is meant to be something else, like a drama, crime, whatever, and romance is not the main focus, and there’s a “failed romance” in it that’s part of character development that doesn’t affect the main story that isn’t focused on romance, that’s different. imho :smiley:

6 Likes

It isn’t a romance. The love story is a a subplot to what is essentially an internally driven paranormal mystery.

4 Likes

After reading that article, I decided to re-work the tags on my two WP novels. Whether it’ll make a difference as far as ranking, who knows, but at the very least, the tags feel more accurate now. Or at least, I hope lol.

In the meantime, while I consider trying Tapas, I’m reading this: Tips for Starting a Novel on Tapas! - Art | Comics - Tapas Forum

Writing long chapters isn’t a problem for me. And good news is, I already have a decent cover and the novel is complete. Downside? I’m still editing it and I wanted to put the edited version there, but this person is claiming the “average” amount of times people post to Tapas is 3 times a week? Like what? Who has time for that? Who can even remember that? I have to set alarms just to do every day things like washing certain laundry or taking medicine. Not to mention, who is reading long chapters so often? I read a lot (mostly web comics, but manga, regular stories too) that I jump around, and having to focus on one story three times a week will probably never happen. I get through them all eventually so long as they keep me hooked, just slowly.

Maybe that’s just me. :laughing: Anyway, if I do post on Tapas, will aim to at least have half of the novel edited. We’ll see. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Ah ok, in that case, it might still disappoint some people who become invested in the couple, but if the main point is the mystery, and the mystery itself reaches a proper conclusion, that makes sense. Especially if the “friend zoning” happens in a realistic way. I once read a story that was romance, and it led readers into believing this one guy was the main love interest. He and the female lead have all this steamy tension and eventually kiss etc. Super into each other. Then suddenly she accompanies his brother on like a mission or something, I forgot, and when she returns, suddenly she has feelings for the brother, and when she reunites with the original love interest, he’s all like, oh, after thinking about it, I’m not that into you after all… and people were like… what?

It felt like the author just changed their mind who the love interest should be, got readers invested in one, then suddenly switched it up without any natural transition/reasoning as to why these two people who were formerly super passionate about each other suddenly went, meh, you’re more like a buddy actually. People were… not happy. I stuck with the story because I liked the brother too, but just the direction it took to get there, it didn’t make sense. As an example of what to avoid with a relationship that becomes platonic. :thinking:

4 Likes

The good thing about Tapas is that you schedule and forget. So if you have your whole novel, schedule it for daily releases in one fell swoop and let it do its thing. If it flies, great. If it doesn’t… well, it doesn’t

4 Likes