Struggling Writers’ Daily Den: rant, share, complain, ask, daily progress thing (Part 2)

Yes, el xanax rabbit did.

1 Like

My edition’s about a quarter of that. I’d advise finding an abridged version. And the Tale of Genji is also an excellent read.

1 Like

Currently on XIX. I think I’m about 40% done with this chapter. I’m personally quite excited for this chapter and the next few ones, with all the tension :sparkles: and action :sparkles: that’s about to unfold.

And also because they’ll be the last few chapters of Act I, which means if I complete them, I’ll be about one-third done with my WIP! :partying_face:

I just need to figure out the names of the days of the week in this universe and then I’ll really be able to complete them. Earth does not exist in this story, so I can’t really use names like January, April, Monday, Wednesday. I’ve already come up with month names, now I just need to come up with week names :woozy_face: should I end them in -day or another suffix? :thonk: I’m mainly using Old English and Germanic roots, so…

I’ll decide on that later :woozy_face:

Edit: Came up with a few place names to use later! Took some inspiration from the name of a pianist named Idil Biret.

• Idilræ (pronounced “ih-dil-ray”)
  • Ilireth (pronounced “ih-lih-reh-th”)
  • Boriel (pronounced “boh-rih-ehl”)

I’m not sure which region to put them under, though :thonk: I have the following regions already:

• Asdur (includes the city Irien and the village Stoll)
  • Sorien (includes the cities Luthien and Beor)
  • Kal (includes the towns Zwaraven and Azaren)

And then I have unsorted place names too :thonk: Duvæn, Laeten, Læten (yes they are different), and Ildor. Maybe I should group some of them under the same region.

Or I can make some of them city-states :thonk:

Edit 2:

Make that about 50%. On one hand, it’s great—I’m making progress! :partying_face: On the other hand, the chapter’s already about 1800 words long. Why’s that a problem? Well, here’s the thing: I’ve put a hard cap of 3000 words for all chapters in this book :sweat_smile: or this “Act” at least. I really hope I don’t exceed the word limit this time because these sections really belong in this chapter and won’t fit as well if transferred to the adjacent ones.

And if you’re asking why I put a hard cap, well, it’s my way of combating my wordiness. My last completed project has a per-chapter word count average of roughly 4000 words :dizzy_face: which is twice as long as the “ideal” Wattpad chapter. You might be wondering why I didn’t split those chapters, and well, I just never split chapters and it felt wrong to do so for that book :woman_shrugging: plus it was a sequel so I was more lax with the word count. I don’t want to have chapters that are too long for this book, hence the hard cap. If I don’t restrict myself I might go overboard :skull:

3 Likes

Oh, only reading today. Lots of reading…

2 Likes

I love/hate that I want to tackle plotting and planning for a THIRD story.
I am going to make this third story into a novel as well. So, I have two stories that I am plotting and planning with a third in the thought stage.

I already have two stories that will become novels. Maybe they’ll be standalones or maybe they’ll be series (dear god, I hope not) I don’t know.

The third story will be set in the world of Llyria like the other two stories.
I have to think a bit about what I want this story to be about. For the time being, I going to focus on my other two while pondering my third story.

I know I want it to be focused on something the Knighthood Alliance and what they represent in the world of Llyria. The Knighthood Alliance are a military police task force that is spread out globally who personally serves as the Sovereign’s knights.

The only difference is that my protagonist will be a female who is training to become a proper Knight for a year or two. She’ll make friends, enemies, and rivals while facing a shit ton of obstacles to become a Knight.

I wanted to do a school setting, but I’m not about that life at the moment or at all. LOL!

I want to do something like that… again.
My headspace is a bit clearer, and I am able to focus a smidge creatively.

Knowing me and that I am a glutton for punishment, I am going to tackle the story with knights sooner than I would have liked.

Nothing else to report.

5 Likes

I’ve set myself up for the story sharing changes. I’ll be on my own again and praying for a boat load of readers to discover my lone island. I’m totally pathetic, but I do need to find some way to just forget the audience as I write.

4 Likes

That feels very familiar. I am also trying to focus on just quality of my writing because that what bothers me second after my lack of popular appeal. I kinda want to take popular appeal out of equation if possible.

4 Likes

I am at work, super bored, and wished I could have time to just work in my WIP :pensive::sob:

3 Likes

I still need a title for one of my three stories.
Actually, scratch that, I believe I need a title two of my three stories.

So, there’s that. I hate it sometimes when I can’t find a good title for my stories.
Lalala! Time to write!

1 Like

I finally got my author copies of my book! I cried, and then I smiled, and now I can’t put it down :rofl: It’s finally made it real and all worth the drama.
It also looks amazing on my pink cushion :rofl:

12 Likes

So, that’s the book you’ve written, correct?
Congratulations!!!

:grin:

4 Likes

I’m stuck in both the prequel, and the editing of Without Parole. :weary:

The first I’m stuck because after 5 chapters, there’s a short time skip, and not sure where is the best place to start. Started with a conversation, but it feels forced…

The latter, I’m stuck because in my second draft, it’s introducing/fleshing out the MC’s cousin that isn’t really fleshed out in the first draft. So I guess because I haven’t dived too deeply into his personality, now that I’m trying to write a phone conversation between him (he’s in prison) and his cousin, it… doesn’t feel right. (sigh)

Dialogue sucks. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Yep! Thank you so much! <3

1 Like

That is really cool and no problem.

:blush:

1 Like

Wow, real book! Grats from the bottom of my heart!

1 Like

I love dialogues… it’s everything else that’s so hard for me. I wish you perseverance!

1 Like

Thank you so much! It’s still a bit weird I dont believe it XD

1 Like

My stories need more drama. How can I add it?

1 Like

What’s the internal conflict right now? Add a new complication relative to that. ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

1 Like

I want a fight in a bar or at a family event lol

2 Likes