Struggling Writers’ Daily Den: rant, share, complain, ask, daily progress thing (Part 1)

I don’t know about Creators. Stars had a mechanism where you could ask any question about your story from Stars team and they consulted you.

Cover was made for me by Paid, which is a different branch of WP. There, you gave them examples of covers you felt would have a fitting style for the book. I’m not really in love with the cover for my story in Paid.

2 Likes

I went ahead and edited the first two chapters of the Fireman’s Girl. I feel more at peace with myself and closer to the character than I used to be. I hope this is the right choice. Obviously, far from the last edit, but yeah, I am slightly happier with it.

3 Likes
  1. Worry also eats at that ability to write.
  2. Because blindenss can go SSI, the government might pay for college for you just to get you off government aid. Besides, that’s about $900 a month without you earning other income sources.
2 Likes

So I decided I wish to query my children’s book because why not
Not that I have any idea what I’m doing lol but I find it worth it because I want to read it to children and inspire them

So I can always try my luck and keep working and just hope for the best I think?

Also I am proud to discover that I am a middle grade and children’s author
YA and adult are not my style. Though intriguing, certainly, and I enjoy reading and watching them - but I found that I don’t like to write them. Is that a bad thing? I don’t know. But I found that I envision a lot of scenes in my books as animated or cartoonish.

6 Likes

Somebody has to write children’s books. There has to be things kids like to read. Very few kids are going to write anything well enough to write the genre for themselves. And if you put a mind in there that doesn’t suit the task they either write kids that are too adult or they write condescendingly towards children.

So, do what you’re good at, ignore the doubts.

4 Likes

SO MUCH EDITING TO DO.

I decided to edit and post my military romance for Radish, so I’m about half way through that now.

This morning I got my manuscript back from my publishers, and I have a lot of little changes to make and adding descriptions etc for that, and I have about a month to do it in. My tentative release date is September 9th, so I have that time to make the changes.

Of course, I’m also writing a first draft so YAY

I’d finally gotten peaceful with myself and routine and now I have a deadline lmao.

Can’t complain though, it’s becoming more and more real! This is what we all aim for so XD

Life of a writer - deadlines :eyes:

6 Likes

Thank you J!

I agree! I decided that even my language is too simple for YA and adult. And that it suits best children’s book (mostly middle graders too).

I also found out that most of the books I enjoyed reading like Golden Compass, Percy Jackson and Harry Potter were all children’s book - for Middle Grade readers. And even if I read it in my late teens (no regrets) I enjoyed most of all the complex world they had and yet they used simple language for imagery.

So I think its who I am? I do enjoy cartoons (yes I’m a 23 year old who still watch Disney movies, still no regrets) and I want that. I enjoy it to my core. I also enjoy leaving valuable lessons for readers (like the values of true friendship and the power of family, and how goofy love can be and that’s okay)

If that makes sense?

4 Likes

I finished my second honeyfeed story entry into their contest. I wrote 107k in exactly two months. Now on to something else.

3 Likes

Yes. See, I would like to try writing a kid’s book but it does not suit my temperament. But I would like to because my oldest is 6. I won’t be able to share much of what I write until they are way older.

3 Likes

Congrats, all over again.

3 Likes

Off Topic: I have made my decision. I will go to the gym and continue going to better help with my weight lost.

On Topic: I am going to do some more writing or at least try to.

3 Likes

thank you! It’s so weird and surreal!

2 Likes

Also wanted to say congrats again, because it never hurts to hear it when you achieve something so big!

1 Like

aww thank you so much! It’s just slowly becoming real. I just hope it succeeds :rofl:

1 Like

Realizing I have to write the summary for the Wattys and now it’s 750 words??

1 Like

I like writing from a kid’s point of view.
I think it frees up the mind a bit and loosens the restrictions on what is or isn’t reasonable.

2 Likes

Is this considered studying abroad? What would a better term for this be or is it alright as it is?

Purely example:

Mike lives on Earth but has gotten a university scholarship on either Mars or the Moon. Which means that he would have to leave Earth to start college life on some distant planet (even though the moon is not a planet, but still).

Or

Mike lives on Mars or even on the Moon and has gotten a scholarship to attend a university on Earth.

Would this still be considered studying abroad or something else?
Would calling this “interplanetary studying” better suited or too wordy?

1 Like

750+! It is far easier now to inject voice and keep the summary more coherent. I am so happy they increased the word count on it.

2 Likes

just call it something cool, like extra-p. or planetary exchange student.

1 Like

Planetary Exchange Program???

I know you said “planetary exchange student” I just thought I might a little suggestion.

1 Like