The Best Love Interests are Those You Can See Yourself Hanging Out With

I’ve seen a million love interests, but very few that seem like cool people to hang out with. I’d rather hang out with Kaiji Itou than Edward Cullen, and I know that I’m not alone. A lot of love interests are just made to be love interests, rather than actual characters. It’s worse when they aren’t toxic, because you get unflavored yogurt like that guy in Shatter Me. If you can remember his name, massive respect to you.

How many love interests could you see yourself hanging out with? Name names, please.

5 Likes

@Akje
@JohnnyTuturro
@anon39043209
@TheTigerWriter
@DomiSotto

2 Likes

I am the wrong person to ask on this. LOL!
The fictional guys I tend to like are evil and bat-shit crazy.

However, the ones that are good and pretty alright, I could probably see myself hanging out with them.

Far as love interest go, I don’t even know.
Although I do get where you are coming from.

2 Likes

If they aren’t another bad boy rich boy clone, seriously they all look the same, then they don’t have much presence. No hobbies, no interests, no strong opinions.

I read Carry On and Baz is kind of a so-so character in this respect. He is commonly headcanoned to be into punk music and David Bowie, so maybe we could have some interesting conversations about music. Maybe.

2 Likes

You mean leading men specifically? Honestly, any adventure movie basically produces an awesome leading man. I wouldn’t mind the guy Bridget Johns ended up with either. In Ivanovich’s Stephanie Plum’s novels, Ranger is my speed. In Fluke’s novels while they (the novels) were decent, I would have went for Norman who is a great guy.

On Wattpad, Kodak from Whispering Blade was awesome… and, like I was reading for workshops/book clubs the following books:

Ryder: not my type, but he was pretty cool MMA fighter who was very level headed
Vampire and a Rebel: Jamie is great. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
What We Can’t Have: Grant is a decent fellow
Displaced: okay, no, there I can’t stand both leading men
Paint Me a Murder: can’t stand leading man
Tethered Souls and Week with a Prince: I think they are alright, though not romantically interesting to me.

and tbh, I love all of my own male love interests for obvious reasons.

I dunno, different women have different fantasies, and a lot of books are there for women to toy with dangerous fantasies in a safe space of a book.

2 Likes

In a sense, yeah. It’s hard for me to imagine actually hanging out with a lot of male love interests in a casual setting. Same with a lot of women love interests. I see what you mean about leading men, they carry the story so they have to be cool and interesting.

There’s this anime with a girl who is really into swords that’s a love interest, but her main personality traits is that she’s naive, cute, and likes swords. Kind of a flat character, no?

2 Likes

These days? No one :stuck_out_tongue:

But if you asked me like 6, 7 years ago, I might still have yelled out LEGOLAS from the movies!! or Jack Sparrow or Rhys from The Princesses of Bamarre or even Fireheart, although he’s a cat :stuck_out_tongue: Or Chrestomanci.

These days though, I like my own characters more.

But I did almost envision myself hanging out with Nikolai from that Shadow and Bone thing. Only because he was the most decent, reasonable kinda guy in the entire series that Bardugo just goes ahead and turns into that dark prince sob story…that I definitely would have loved if I were 14. Those days are over. Now I’m just annoyed at what she did to a perfectly good character.

2 Likes

As it should be, as it should be…
:grin:

2 Likes

When will people learn that dark prince sob story is never as sympathetic as owing money to organized crime.

1 Like

Oh yeah, Legolas! Although to be honest I’d rather hang out with him as a friend than a love interest. Leggy and Gimli would both be fun to hang out with as friends but not love interests. As for love interests…argh. I’m gonna have to think about that. Most men in fiction are jerks since there’s not much of a story if they aren’t. The men I write in my own romance novels tend to be boy-next-door sweetheart types that I imagine are probably pretty dull to read about but would be awesome to know in real life. (ɔ˘ ³(ˆ‿ˆc) :blue_heart:

3 Likes

I dunno. I didn’t watch much anime and what I saw didn’t have a lot of women to start with and they were all somewhat flat on the annoying side with squeaky baby voices.

2 Likes

You could watch it on a slower speed to see if that makes them more tolerable

I dunno, apart from Yuri on Ice, anime didn’t really impress me that much. First season of that gambling guy anime was cool.

1 Like

Omg I remember! The awesomest hero evah is the Earl of Rule from The Convenient Marriage by Georgette Heyer! Wow, it’s been so long I’d forgotten I was going to write my own version of that someday. I mean, a totally different situation, but the same kind of gallant, protective hero-type hero. He never oppresses her, he always comes to her rescue, and he quietly works behind the scenes to make sure she’s always safe from the villain, who’s quite villainous indeed, but he lets her make her own mistakes without interfering. And I love that he always pays her debts without complaining even though she has a gambling addiction. And he’s an expert swordsman! Ahhhhhhhh… *swoon*

I also loved the hero of The Quiet Gentleman by the same author. They just don’t write 'em like that anymore. ( ˘ ³˘):heart: (˘ᴗ˘ღ)

1 Like

I like anime because it’s more diverse and experimental than most mainstream Western animation. I’m a big fan of animation in general.

1 Like

Is Earl Rule a cool guy you could talk to, though?

1 Like

From what I have seen, women characters is one area they can def expand their range.

1 Like

Depends on the genre. HIGHLY dependent on genre.

Hmm, some fictional love interest characters that I’d like to hang out with…

Ziva David from NCIS
Ravit Bivas from The Last Ship
Rebecca from Strike Back
Deunan Knute from Appleseed (Anime)
Armitage from Armitage III (Anime)
Yu Shu Lien or Jen Yu from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Mei from House of Flying Daggers
Alphard from Canaan (Anime)
Sook-hee from The Villainess
Clare from Claymore (Anime)
Kristin Ortega or Quellcrist Falconer from Altered Carbon
Chloe Decker or Mazikeen from Lucifer
Trinity or Switch from The Matrix (first film)
Selene from Underworld
And most of the female cast from Battlestar Glactaica

These characters would make interesting friends, great training partners, and formidable bodyguards.

2 Likes

Yup! He always seemed to be in a good mood, even when he was fencing with someone. In fact, when the heroine’s brother and his friends dressed up as highwaymen to get back the heroine’s stolen brooch, they accidentally held up the earl and he STILL didn’t get mad. He found everything humorous. (ღ˘ᴗ˘ღ)

1 Like