📖 The Great Reading Competition of 2021: We Have Our Winners!! 📖

Nope! :blush: just factual.

2 Likes

Oh, I have a question! raises hand

You said any plotholes at the end of the book need to be accounted for as well in this summary, but what if we don’t have these plot twists posted?
Like, if our book is on-going. Would we still have to have the planned ending accounted for in the summary we give to you?

2 Likes

It’s just whatever you have posted so far - mostly it’s just so we can ensure readers have read your book, and any big plot twists they read will likely be mentioned. :wink:

3 Likes

Ahhh okay, sounds like a plan :blush:

3 Likes

@Allison_Hei @alcoholandcaffeine

To further reiterate and soothe any fears about what we may use submitted content for, I have added language specifying that you retain any and all copyright to the content entered.

See Section 8:

Rights Retained by You: You own all rights (including proprietary rights) in and to any content You submit as an entry to the Contest, and retain all rights to any content You submit as an entry, which are not transferred herein, and retains all common law copyrights and all federal copyrights which have been, or which may be, granted by the Library of Congress.

In addition, I want to make it clear what this part means:

Rights Granted by You: By entering this contest, You understand and agree that Wacky Writers, anyone acting on behalf of Wacky Writers, and Wacky Writers’ licensees, successors, and assigns, shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation, your entry , name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, statements about the Contest, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes, without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent.

This is limited, solely, to the entry you provide us, which includes the book title, URL, word count, and a summary of the work for us to judge reader submissions against. Please note, “the entry” does not include the original content of any novel or work you are referencing. Also, please note, there is nothing in this language referencing “commercial use”, meaning you are not giving us the right to sell your content. All of this language is specifically for advertising.

This is important because one of the prizes is that we will be advertising the winning author’s work on the forum, and it is likely that we will have a few social media posts regarding the contest. We also are posting the information you provide us in the first post of this thread.

It sounds scary, and legalese often does, but it’s just a way for us to ensure users who submit have agreed that they don’t mind if we use their submitted entry (again, that’s book title, URL, and summary) in advertising, and we are not posting the summaries anywhere because that defeats the purpose of why we are collecting them.

I hope this helps address and clarify any concerns you or anyone else may have.

-CJ :wackywriters:

5 Likes

Wc is wrong on Forgotten wolf

1 Like

Oops sorry about that, fixed now :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, just want them to get full credit or not be shocked when its like 4x the length advertised :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Oh absolutely, and for you to get full credit too! :blush:

2 Likes

Yup this works. Legal wording is only dangerous if left vague. Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Question: do author’s notes go into the chapters/overall wordcount?

So, just to understand, whenever I have added / changed anything, I simply resubmit the form?

Yes, if it’s a significant change. If you just replaced a couple words here and there that don’t drastically change the word count, you don’t have to submit it again (only if you want to!)

Okay. Thank you. I’m continuing to add chapters, though not making any major changes in material already posted.

Note: I may have accidentally submitted twice now. Please ignore the first one, with ‘concept’ in the text. I didn’t see another way to leave a direct message reagarding this, or change the submittal itself. My apologies for the confusion and work that may cause (it’s all my own fault, as usual).

That’s totally okay, we’ll make sure to put up the right one. :slight_smile:

Thx. If I might make a suggestion, you might consider showing an example of what you expect as a write-up. Especially because of this part:

’ We also are posting the information you provide us in the first post of this thread. ’

… which makes one wonder what will be posted then :slight_smile:

I assume it won’t be the summary…

’ Your summary will not be posted anywhere. ’

… which would make it a little too easy for a reader :slight_smile:

Do you mean an example of what the posted information will look like once the contest goes live on Monday?

Yes. That should save you some work as most submittals will be somewhat uniform, or so I assume. It’s too late and my brain just shut down… so maybe it’s my lack of sleep that’s doing the talking…

Sure I can do that

That happens to me all the time. :joy: