*****The Story AYA (Ask You Anything) [Now: Magic System] *****

I love the names Aya and Ayame too! Someone in Fruits Basket is named Ayame, and someone in another anime is named Aya, although I can’t remember which one now. I’m thinking it’s a girl’s name. (˘ᴗ˘ღ)

1 Like

Yes.

It’s such a beautiful name. :grin:

1 Like

Why is it a tourist and vacation haven? What’s so attractive about it?

1 Like

I do like Ayase, although I know it mostly from it being a surname, and also the name of a place in Tokyo.

2 Likes

Yeah, that is a surname.

LOL!

1 Like

The castle and shopping districts are what makes it such an interesting place to go when vacationing there.

The country is also a historical haven that blends in so well with the modern world of Alagossia.

The older buildings and the new modern ones, Khollothage is a place where the old and new coexists together in a wonderful and wacky harmony.

1 Like

Sounds like the city of Syaraize in Elgana which has buildings like this:

And might look like this, from the outside.

2 Likes

The top picture, where is that location at. I presume a European location.

1 Like

Apparently, it’s the Canadian Museum of Nature (or Victoria Memorial Museum).

1 Like

Ah, wow, so it is in Canada?

Would’ve never guessed that. Interesting though.

Khollothage could be viewed as that yet more European based.

1 Like

I didn’t know either XD But it was the best picture for what I was imagining. Syaraize City has old buildings with new, Human-made shiny ones built on top of it.

1 Like

There are so many cultures on the God Worlds because a lot of beings from all over Creation now call them home. I haven’t really developed the culture on Terpola much because it has only now become a “main” setting but I have done Lyriumia a lot.

grabs sticky note from wall

Holidays:

• The Freeze - A day every 100 years where the northern ocean freezes over. There’s a big dinner and party out on the ice and everyone goes to it

• Day of the Sun - A less known holiday that is slowly fading away. It’s one of the oldest traditions on Lyriumia where they give thanks the to the Beast of the Sun for giving them its light and protection, and give “sacrifice” to it (used to be an actual sacrifice but is now little tokens like food, flowers, fabrics, stones, etc) so the Endfires are held off for another cycle

• Naiu’s Birthday - the day where they celebrate the birthday of their Patron Deity. Big party

• Winter Solstice - basically our Christmas

• Bennu’s Fire (still working out when this one takes place tbh) - a night of bonfires to celebrate either the end or start of summer with giant bonfires and a night-long party/festival

• Sky Races - this is a very new tradition, kind of like our Olympics but between Lyriumia and Terpola so the two God Worlds can come together for some good old-fashioned fun. Amneris and Xix started this and always do a race to show there’s no ill will between the two Rulers and that they can accept victory/defeat graciously

Religion:
The main one I focus on is the original Lyriumian religion (I don’t really go into the others that much because I haven’t actually had a need to do so ;-:wink: The Lyriumian religion I also don’t go into much detail about. It’s more just there. There are temples of the Old Gods were people leave little tokens to the Gods or visit the Priests for advice or help but, aside from that and some of the holidays, I haven’t developed it that much :sweat_smile: It does show up in book 1 tho

Tradition, music, food clothing:
Honestly there is way too much here. There are so many cultures that have been mixed or taken inspiration from each other that I can’t keep track of them specifically because it’s just so normalised on Lyriumia

3 Likes

Just one sticky note? XD

Oooh! I remember you talking about this! :grin:

How do they party on the ice?

Of an animal or a person?

That’s nice :grin: And sounds fun! What time of the year do they have this? Is it a whole big thing when it comes to people training for this? Is it like our Olympics where everything leading up to the Sky Races is talked about heavily?

Hmm…what are their thoughts on life, death, and the afterlife? Do they believe in reincarnation? What are their thoughts on good and evil? Do they believe in spirits walking among them or people being able to communicate with spirits?

2 Likes

Surprisingly yes :joy:

I haven’t gotten that far yet, sadly :joy: Development is on my very long to-do list

A person. It doesn’t happen anymore

No idea. No idea. And yes.

It’s a very new idea that I don’t actually have to develop until book 7 because that’s when it shows up for the first time :joy: There’s a 100 year gap between 6 and 7

Proven to be real

Also proven to be real

Complicated considering the Lyriumians work for the First Being of Good, Light and Order.

Spirits have also been proven to be real and it’s not uncommon for people to communicate with them. Spirit Stones exist for a reason :tipping_hand_woman:

1 Like

I guess I’ll answer the previous question and the one on culture.

Setting:
Errenalis — the living world. Here’s a map of Errenalis.

There are a lot of cultures… and syncretic cultures. I’ll choose the Emerian Isles. But feel free to ask me about anywhere else you’re curious about lol.

Emerian Isles

The Emerian Isles is an archipelago located between the deserts and the mainland in the southern seas. The islands are lush and mountainous with a mild climate. While not a large or wealthy kingdom by mainland standards, they are of immense strategic importance due to their location along major shipping lanes.

The Isles are ruled by the Princes of Soarefin ‘Sun’s Heirs’, a long line of Emerian royalty who have historically been favoured in aristocratic marriage pacts for their beauty and good health. Marriage and migration from across the world, especially the neighbouring deserts and Altheris in the east have led to a unique syncretic religion and culture of the Isles.

The Isles have a strong seafaring culture, a wealthy merchant class and a strong naval force. They are known for their export of purple and blue dyes, gemstones, fish, salt, liquors and olives (which hold important religious and cultural significance).

The capital city Mathesdan is the largest producer of olives, and harbours the strength of their naval force, patrolling the shipping lanes and protecting vessels from sabotage and piracy. The island of Zirona dubbed the ‘Jewel of the Seas’ is a major world marketplace. The Canonric of Kalina, a monastery of the Orthodox Aevessan religion, is an important pilgrimage site.

Language

Emerians speak Common Nacedoonian, the lingua franca of the world and the primary language of Aevessanism. They also speak Sea Cant, a pidgin language combining Ancient Emerian with others, which was historically used for sea trade.

The “true” Ancient Emerian language has been lost, except for a few unintelligible work songs and prayers.

Religion

Given their diversity, Emerians practice a variety of beliefs. The formal state religion is Aevessanism (it’s far too complex to get in to here, but the central belief in orthodoxy is to strive to bring the forces of the universe - Aeth (Soul), Syr (Destiny) and Zofe (Wisdom) - together to achieve cosmic perfection).

Their practices, however, are blended with ancient animistic beliefs venerating the sun, sea and the olive crop, resulting in the syncretic Emerian Aevessanism faith. Key practices include:

• Syrric rites petitioning the sun for safe voyages and good weather.
  • Zofic inquiry — “Seawisdom” around interpreting ocean tides and currents.
  • Aetheric reverance for the bountiful olive crop.
  • Sacrificial offerings to the sun, sea and olive trees for favours are common, although denounced by orthodoxy.
  • Deification, although prohibited in orthodoxy, still exists among the population — cults dedicated to ancient gods Soarelaun (Sun God), Okhilaun (Sea God) and Meveraun (Olive Crop Goddess) remain here.
Holidays and Festivals
  • The Seadrench - A ritual baptism/ rebirth ceremony in the deep ocean, practiced in coming of age ceremonies, repentance, or before long voyages for good fortune.
  • Blossomsong - A yearly celebration of the olive flowering and reawaking of the Isles’ bounty.
  • The Sixsailed Race - A maritime festival where decorated ships compete.
  • Days of Shadow - During solar eclipses, Emerians halt their activities for the day and retreat to the somber study of the Aevessaniad.
Food

Staple crops like olives, citrus, figs and currants feature heavily in Emerian diet. Seafood is plentiful — grilled fish, shellfish cured with salt and olive oil. Lamb cooked in spices from the deserts are also a favourite. The local wine — twice distilled pomegranate wine, is the liquor of choice.

Music

Sea shanties are an important part of Emerian heritage. Popular musical styles blend desert folk with sea shanties, resulting in lively drums with soaring harmonies. Flutes and oboes hold ritual significance as they evoke wind tones — a domain associated with the Syr.

Clothing

There is a variety of dress found in the Emerian Isles. But traditionally, men and women both wear long, tight-waisted outer jackets made of linen, cotton or silk. The jackets have wide sleeves which are slit in the front from the elbows. The jackets are richly decorated with embroidery in different styles depending on the status. Underneath, women wear loose dresses while men wear breeches and loose shirts. Women tie their hair with decorative scarves. Men and women both wear the common leather boot style, gold and jewel necklaces and anklets. Purple and rich blue dyes from the sea are popular hues.

4 Likes

I love everything about this! :face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like

Aw thanks :pray:

1 Like

No problem! :blush:

oh wow, a tiny wikipedia of your world :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Awesome! I shall come with questions later. My brain is kind of fried right now :sweat_smile:

The map is using Inkarnate, right? All those words must have taken ages to do :open_mouth: How were you able to make it look like an actual map? Mine turns out looking like a blob :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yep Inkarnate! I tried to make it look good with the ugly free assets lol. It was a lot of terrain painting, resizing and messing around w transparency

1 Like