The Tip Cauldron: Ask Your Writing Questions Here! šŸ–‹

Yeah, anyone?? Anything??? This is your last chance in 2020! :rofl:

1 Like

Exactly, 2020 is almost over! Last chance for questions from the Year of the Plague!

1 Like

I laughed too hard :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

The end of the year is getting dangerously closeā€¦

1 Like

:scream::scream::scream:

1 Like

OK, Iā€™ll goā€¦

I think I put this on the previous forum, but I absolutely suck at metaphors as Iā€™m too literal when I write. I end up with really cringeworthy clichĆ©s instead of something that brings the scene to life so I mostly avoid them. Any tips?

2 Likes

Ooh, excellent question, as thatā€™s something a lot of people commonly struggle with. Me included, if Iā€™m being honest. Weā€™ll find a good answer for that, I hope.

2 Likes

Less maths for you, young lady!

2 Likes

Waits patiently for a more helpful answer.

2 Likes

The answers will be in the Tip Cauldron, our monthly blog :slight_smile: These questions will go into there.

2 Likes

The 4th Tip Cauldron is live! Check it out here and leave us a comment:

And Iā€™ve just created a group if youā€™d like too be a @TipCauldronSubsriber and get notified about new posts going live or for reminders to ask us questions :blush: You can join and leave as you wish, we will only tag you a few times every month, to let you know that the column is up or to remind you that you can still ask us questions.

Happy New Year, everyone!! Letā€™s make it a good one! :champagne:

1 Like

Weā€™ve still got a few questions from 2020 to fall back on, but does nobody want to break the ice in 2021? :eyes: We donā€™t bite! too hard

1 Like
  • Is adding a lot of ā€˜backstoryā€™, too much?
  • How do I make sure I donā€™t overwhelm the reader?
  • How to write a perfect antagonist?
  • How to make a love story flow ?
1 Like
  1. How to write fight scenes, especially fantasy scenes where theyā€™re just throwing fire and lightning instead of blades and fists?

2. How do you quote titles of other books, movies, and songs? e.g. He found Ernstā€™s ā€œThe Last Rose of Summerā€ unplayable. vs He found Ernstā€™s The Last Rose of Summer unplayable.

3. When writing titles, particularly in dialogue, do you spell them out (e.g. Doctor Karmozen) or shorten them (Dr. Karmozen)?

1 Like

Thank you both @xtayaxx @stella_vigo :beautifulheart: I shall chuck the questions into my bubbling cauldron and stirā€¦ :eyes:

2 Likes

Tip Cauldron #5 is up and running, albeit one day late. Join the conversation here:

I just thought up a question: How do you write convincing characters that are older than you are? (Especially experiences wise; ie: a teenager writing a full time working adult or a 30yr old writing a 90yr old)

1 Like

Oh, my sweet summer childā€¦ :joy: I forgot to make this go away, lol, because weā€™re not really doing the Tip Cauldron anymore (yet), but I will think of an answer and get back to you!

1 Like

Cmon you know im never around :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Try to keep up, kiddo :joy:

1 Like