There's a reason(s) why most people don't like animation, I found out why?

Many people won’t understand that and probably never will…unfortunately.

2 Likes

Another reason might be particular styles of animation.

There are only certain kinds of Anime that I enjoy, usually ones with serious content. “Vampire Hunter D,” “Princess Mononoke”. There are many that use the “Chibi changes” or the exaggerated # signs for anger or the huge teardrop for nervousness and it kind of drives me crazy. It feels like poor storytelling as if they can’t get those emotions to come across in other ways.

Sloppier animation styles get me too… Beavis and Butthead (to an extent King of the Hill - though that story series is actually a good time), Cow and Chicken or Ren and Stimpy (again not just the animation but the kind of comedy I don’t enjoy much).

Many of the newer animations out there are just not to my taste either in style or in content.

I grew up on Disney Movies, Beauty and the Beast (Still to this day) is one of my favorites. Lilo and Stitch is still my all time favorite animated movie. TV shows I love: Gargoyles! The animation on that was great and the stories were a fine balance between child like innocence and adult nuance (SHAKES FIST AT DISNEY for sanitizing the series like they did)

I find I like eloquently-drawn, hand-made animation over CGI filled Barbie Dolls who all look pretty much alike.

I tend to like more serious story lines, anti heroes, and finely drawn animation.

So yeah I don’t hate animation, I’m just very particular about the kinds of animations I watch.

3 Likes

So, anime shows that are a bit more realistic in style rather than what is out currently?

Less of the standard cliches in anime in term of expression, more seriousness?

You’re the first person I seen mentioned that at least in a very long time.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m afraid so.

I think it’s because I strive for realism in my own art that I’m drawn to more realistic art in general? I’ve always been a bit of an “old soul” in that regard, I didn’t even like TMNT animation back in the eighties… O_O … I used to like Speed Racer (though I can’t watch it these days), G-Force, Transformers (until the animation team went to shit and the stories got ridiculous), Silver Hawks, GI Joe on and off…

RECENT FAVORITES: CAstlevania, Attack on Titan

2 Likes

Anime in the 80s to 90s might be more you speed in terms of realistic.

I keep thinking you might vibe with Wolf Rain, Witch Hunter Robin, and Blood: The Last Vampire a bit.

1 Like

I really enjoyed Witch Hunter Robin actually, was kind of bummed there were no more when we came to the end of it. My friend from Colorado brought it when we first met in person and we binge watched it!

2 Likes

It’s crazy because I heard of that anime and I never seen it.

Someday I might.

1 Like

Hopefully you get the chance to!

2 Likes

Thanks.

I think you may like Ergo Proxy.

1 Like

Can’t say that I’ve heard of that one.

Another of my favorites is Armitage III

2 Likes

Armitage sounds familiar.

Also, the original Ghost in the Shell.

I forgot Appleseed.

Now, I feel a bit old :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Have you seen Wicked City?

Also I showed Kaiji to innocent people, it’s the most hideous anime you may ever see.

1 Like

Another one I’ve not heard of…

2 Likes