This is funny and very unexpected...to me.

This Elvarth story, I just realized is me telling a story on how the mentor type became the mentor type in a sense.

So, take a mentor from any fantasy/science-fiction novel or whatever, then write an interesting story on how they became a mentor and how they choose people who are destined to become the heroic savior who changes/saves the whole world from a great evil and claims the glory.

Yet the only difference is that in Elvarth story, is that this mentor character is constantly reborn into a new era to select a newly appointed hero who is destined to save Alagossia from a great evil that is happening in that timeline. This is something that will not stop happening until that great evil breaks the cycle somehow by killing the hero and the mentor both.

So, the hero is called a Savior, and there have been a total of five incredible game-changing Saviors whose heroics really affected the world. The mentors are called Pillars and the very first Pillar is named Elvarth and Elvarth is the very first pillar chosen by something. The last reincarnation of the pillars is Nym of Wisdom. So, far that is the only one I have.

Yeah, so, I was not expecting that to happen…on a mental level.
LOL! :sweat_smile: :rofl:

1 Like

Still funny.

I mean I sorta get why the mentor isn’t talk about that much story wise.
Their job from my understanding is that they are meant to be a guardian/trainer/guide to the main character who is the chosen hero of that is suppose to save the day.

I mean, yeah there are some mentors that make the readers like them and whatnot. Still, nobody really cares about their story since they sorta get an idea on how they became the mentor…I think.

In the Elvarth Series, the Pillars are the mentor type or rather a mentor type-in-training learning from someone or something you chooses who shall become the mentor to the hero. Yet the Pillars go through rigorous training, better understanding of their position, and finally searching for the hero who is destined to save the world.

This is weird. Is this idea weird to you?
How can I make this idea better in a sense?

1 Like

@J.L.O
@TheTigerWriter
@alenatenjo
@copyedit
@SecretDurham
@NotARussianBot
@lowarlo
@AMMeyers
@Akje

Thoughts and feelings?

Pretty much, I am going with the whole “Chosen Mentor who chooses the Chosen Hero”

Yet oddly enough the prophecy is slightly different based on who the “chosen mentor” and their hero is going to be.

However, the great evil is in a similar situation as the mentor. They are chosen to become the villainous force by their “evil mentor”.

So, yeah, still funny and it just got weirder…

Thank god I am not showing this to anyone!
It can go either really bad or really weird depending on how it is written honestly.

The only way it can come out great is if it is written in a manner where it attacks the common cliches and tropes in a way that isn’t cringey or something.

Then the mentor’s death is probably certain in most fantasy and science-fiction so that the hero can “get better” and be able to handle their duties to the fullest.

So, in my story, the mentor has to die in order for the cycle to continue, but the mentor dies when things between the hero and villain get very serious.

Then is reborn many, many years later to select a new hero of another timeline to fight the great evil of that timeline.

Yet the last Savior and their Pillar did things very differently, because they did something that ended every timeline not having that great evil.

So, they rewrote things and made it so history won’t repeat itself and the selection ends with the last and fifth Savior and Pillar.

Now, you see how crazy my mind works?
LOL!

It’s a very strong archetype, one found in reality (if one believes). John the Baptist is called the second Elijah for obvious reasons.

Elijah was a prophet whose successor (Elisha) asked for a double portion of Elijah’s spirit, and is recorded as doing twice the miracles as his predecessor. Elijah is one of 2 men noted for never dying on this planet.

So, before the Messiah (chosen one) comes, John is born and makes way for Christ.

The key difference in these “chosen one” tropes and the biblical ones is that the chosen one is being picked to do the same job as the chooser. Elijah and John the Baptist were both miracle workers with a parallel message to the next guy.

But it comes up with a unique thought that would be useful in writing such scenarios:

knowing the transition of power

John 3:27-30
27 To this John replied, “A person can receive only what is given them from heaven. 28 You yourselves can testify that I said, ‘I am not the Messiah but am sent ahead of him.’ 29 The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom’s voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete. 30 He must become greater; I must become less.”[h]

John's doubt over their situation after already asserting who Christ is

Matthew 11: 2-6

2 When John, who was in prison, heard about the deeds of the Messiah, he sent his disciples 3 to ask him, “Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?”

4 Jesus replied, “Go back and report to John what you hear and see: 5 The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy[b] are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor. 6 Blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me.”

Notice: the one who chose the messiah had doubts while facing his own death which makes that last verse crucial. “Blessed is the man who doesn’t fall away because of me.”

This was not the Messiah the Jews thought they were getting, which is a huge chunk of why Jews still refuse Christ as their Messiah–not all.

It’s just this moment of fragility in the entire story, an existential crisis.

1 Like

So, what you are saying in a sense, is that the idea makes…sense?
:sweat_smile:

It is still so hilarious to me.
Why is it so hilarious?!

:rofl:

Sure. There’s a lot of context to base someone like that on our there.

1 Like

Geez, I honestly thought it was weird, but it does make sense in a way when thinking deeper on the matter.

We often see the hero’s perils, journey, and growth, yet we hardly ever see the mentor’s perils, journey, and growth in a way that leads them to take on the mentor role.

Does that make sense?! I am really trying to go that route.

1 Like

Reminded me of how my lizard wizard came to be the semi-all-knowing wise man character. Essentially, he’s the “mentor” in the Elgana books. I don’t go into a story with him as the MC, but I do have a story where he’s much younger and also figuring out his role as the “mentor”.

The story shows him being a little reckless, sometimes too strict, and sometimes he just straight up tells the characters the answers to their problems rather than guiding them to it. He fails a lot as the mentor in that story and even reveals to the main character that he was appointed by the guardian of Elgana. He’s not supposed to reveal this, but he gets overwhelmed and does :stuck_out_tongue:

In that story, it was his first time to guide a character who doesn’t know anything. In later books, he’s a lot older, a lot wiser, and he does a much better job at guiding characters who have no idea what’s going on and who are not supposed to know.

Anyway, while lizard wizard’s story doesn’t exist, I do show how he’s gotten better at his job through the stories of other characters.

1 Like

Damn-it, @TheTigerWriter, I just got even more creative by reading your brilliant comment!
I did not need that amazing realization, my good woman!

How dare you?!

:sweat_smile: :rofl:

1 Like

lol

What can I say except you’re welcome :wink:

2 Likes

Are you really going to go Moana on me?!
LMAO!

:rofl:

2 Likes

Honestly, this story can go in either a “it happened in the past that leads up to present” or “it happens in the present day”.

For the most random yet interesting reason, I am leaning towards the whole “this story is a flashback till it reaches the present day”.

God, this could be a big issue if it goes wrong.

I don’t know as I am thinking real hard on this.

I’m glad you got the reference :wink:

1 Like

Lol!

1 Like

BUMPERS!

Came to add that I’ve been contemplating writing a story about an all-seeing character and how he came to be. He’s like a mentor type.

In both Between Roses and The Rat Girl this all-seeing guy appears. His name is Carnifex which means executioner. But if all possible, he doesn’t want to destroy anything. It’s his duty, however, to destroy a world if it becomes too corrupt.

How he comes to be is only hinted at here and there. He’s been “sentenced” to this duty, so to speak. He calls it his “punishment”. He does guide the MCs. He’s trying, in subtle ways, to alter the future so he doesn’t have to destroy the worlds.

Chronologically, Between Roses happens before The Rat Girl. Carnifex does a bit more talking in The Rat Girl and calls the duty his “enjoyable punishment” whereas in Between Roses, he genuinely looks sad about it.

It would be interesting to write a story of how he came to be Carnifex (no, that’s not his name. Presumably, he’s lost his previous one).

1 Like