Weird stuff writers have to google that they hope no one finds

I’m writing a scene where someone gets shot, and just had to nervously google something like, “best place to shoot someone that isn’t immediately fatal”. Sometimes I worry police are going to kick down my door some day like why are you looking up knives, poisons, and where to shoot people! Anyone else feel anxious googling stuff like this when they write? :laughing:

Well if you are googling the same thing I was, I found the link above to be helpful. Long story short, exit wound is better, but basically no place is safe on the body except maybe hands and feet? :laughing:

7 Likes

This got me thinking about the show Murder, She Wrote, which is about a murder mystery author who solves actual murders in her hometown. There are a lot of theories online about how she might be the real killer in most of the stories since death seems to follow her wherever she goes. And since she writes murder mysteries for a living, she would be in a good position create a believable alibi each time.

Long story short, if you were planning to be a murderer in real life, writing about murder would be the perfect alibi for all your creepy internet searches. So, we should maybe not trust anyone who writes about these kinds of things. :thinking:

4 Likes

I use DuckDuckGo. I don’t like people seeing most of what I research.

6 Likes

But as far as “perfect murder”, I figured that out before the age of the internet.

It requires finding a house in the boonies with old weak people, a hazmat suit, and multiple ways to drive through the area so that you aren’t seen coming and going from the same direction.

Or, you take someone fishing and cut them up for crab bait.

And if using a pig farm, stomp the skull.

I didn’t have to look up things like that.

What I have to look up is bizarre ways people were caught because murder in a story is rarely “getting away with it”.

5 Likes

My mother loves that show!

2 Likes

I use duckduckgo for all of my internet needs! And don’t forget a VPN.

5 Likes

I recommend using the Brave browser + Duck Duck Go.

4 Likes

Duckduckgo for me too! I only use Google for local stuff, like what time a store opens or does this restaurant let you make reservations, etc. I just wish duckduckgo had as many results as google, and listed Wikipedia at the top of the page every time. ヽ(^。^)丿

2 Likes

I never even heard of Duckduckgo.
Interesting.

2 Likes

Oooh, I never heard of this browser before. Sounds good, though!

2 Likes

Most everything but I look more into animals than murder

1 Like

wikipedia

1 Like

When doing the search, put your query and wiki, to fix half that

3 Likes

Haha yeah my search history makes it look like I’m going to kill someone. I remember Googling things like “hypovolemic shock”, “carotid artery,” etc.

3 Likes

Yeah, at this point my search history makes me look like a conspiracy theorist and a mass murderer :joy:

3 Likes

That’s a good point actually. :thinking:

2 Likes

Saw “where’s the best place to get shot” and I get reminded of what my English teacher told us. He said the best place is the shoulder. His source? His friend :grimacing:

As for the weird stuff, hmmm, the only one I can think of is the difference between genocide and mass murder :sweat_smile:

1 Like

But the bones are bad too because they shatter, and bullets get stuck in them so they’re a pain to remove. :scream: But it’s probably less fatal than most other places on the body. But ooooowwww. :sob:

Edit: I just realized every sentence starts with “but” and if that isn’t the most accurate portrayal of how my writing is going, I dunno what is. :laughing:

2 Likes

A bullet is a bullet. It hurts no matter where you get shot :sob:

I should probably ask if it’s safe to get stabbed in the abdomen, assuming you don’t strike any vital organs :thinking:

1 Like

Probably not? Blood loss? I once watched this show on TV a long time ago that was basically “What to do if XYZ happens to you,” and they said if you ever get stabbed, it’s best to leave the object in you. That it’s actually removing it that kills people because of the blood loss, and sometimes the object is the only thing keeping the insides intact. So in the hospital, they explained how they had these two people who came in with a pole through both of them (no idea how that happened) and they had to operate on them just like that. They pull the object out little by little, and try to minimize the damage as they go. They also say if your eye is hanging out of your head, to tape a plastic cup to your face and go to the hospital like that so they can fix it. :scream: :eye: I wish I remember what this show was called haha

1 Like