What is the inspiration behind your magic system?

That’s considering that there is some inspiration of sorts. If not then explain why that magic system works for your story, in terms of why you decided with that instead of something else?

Would you say your magic system is hard or soft in your world-building?

Can you tell me in depth anything else pertaining to your magic system?

Who can use magic? Who can’t use magic? Etc?

My Turn:

Alagossian magic is called misting, which comes from the air or aether. EVERY SINGLE ALAGOSSIAN OF ANY HUMANOID RACE AND ANIMAL RACE CAN USE MISTING!!! Aether gives an Alagossian the ability to not only use magic, but the ability to live and thrive in the world.

I came with the idea for aether/misting because the air that we breathe is the source of life on Earth. On Alagossia, it is the source of life and magic, that allows Alagossian to continue living, existing, and being able to survive. I don’t think I had an actual inspiration for misting/magical air, but it could be tied with me thinking about Mana and how that is a foundation for magic in a way.

If you have questions, feel free to ask, because I have plenty for you all.

Thoughts and feelings?

4 Likes

@TheTigerWriter
@alenatenjo
@nikko
@NatureLover40
@JojoDahlia
@lunar.eclipse
@NotARussianBot
@copyedit
@Xelyn_Craft
@JellyGhost

Come hither, cool peeps! :grin:

I haven’t really thought much about my magic system in Revelation in Blood. I do know that only those born with magic in their blood can use it. Witches are like another race, separate from humans, so they can weild magic. But there has to be some trace of witch or other supernatural creature in the bloodline for witches to be born. They don’t just happen randomly. A mundane human couldn’t give birth to a witch if the father is mundane as well. In super rare cases, the magic could skip a generation (like, say, a witch mother married a mundane father, they had a child, and that child had no magical ability, but the child grew up to have another child with a mundane human and that child had magic) but because magic is a dominant gene, it’s rare. Usually if at least one of the parents is magical, the child will be as well. But I may change this at some point, as it doesn’t make much sense and I really do need to put more thought into my magic system.

EDIT: I may actually make it so both parents have to have magic in their blood in order for a witch to be born. That would nake more sense than the possibility of skipping generations, and would also mean that the rareness of witches is more likely, which I need in order to make the rest of the world make sense. So it may be a recessive gene after all.

1 Like

Forgive for possibly misunderstanding, is magic a hereditary thing or no?

I can’t pinpoint the inspiration for my magic system because I’m influenced by a lot of things. Kabbalah, Gnosticism and a lot of D&D, Blades in the Dark and Hârn.

1 I wanted to create something that makes sense within the world. 2) It is deeply connected to the universe and the story gets pretty existential so it’a perfect.

I have two systems :smile: A hard magic system and a soft magic system.

It’s based on Language and the Soul. Magic is essentially a dialogue between the aethurge (sorcerer) and the forces of the universe to influence souls. It is done via hand gestures/ signs and spoken words. Magicians are only capable of influencing or wielding souls (living beings). And so there is no elemental magic (earth, air, fire, water).

Aethurges are born at random. Only 1 in 500 people possess magical abilities. Out of these, 1 in 4 are capable of advanced magic - Pelomurgy. And 1 in 30 magicians are able to perform a rare type of magic - Vidomurgy.

1 Like

Yeah, in this book I’m working on it would be. Instead of it being something innate to the world itself like yours, it would be a genetic factor.

1 Like

That’s cool.
I might’ve tried something like that years ago.

Ooh la la!

For most of my magic systems, I haven’t thought much about it (or in the case of fanfics it’s the magic system based off that-)

One I thought a bit about is my shapeshifter race that’s in the Age of Light and Age of Darkness arcs in one of my series’, and I sort of based it off Changelings from MLP yes I like that kids’ show don’t judge pls-

Only the shapeshifters can use this type of magic, since the Magia and Druidborns have their own magic

1 Like

There is literally no backstory to the magic system. I just make up shit for any given moment and it seems to work :joy: Seriously, I’m making this up as I go

3 Likes

Lol yeah I’m doing the absolute most. Though I don’t really explain the magic system in the actual story. The readers would have to figure it out through context and concepts.

2 Likes

Okay, so, I’ll talk about the magick system of a few different places. Elgana, I’ve talked about it a lot. It’s a hard magick system and the only one I can talk in length about. I could go into all the races and all the people…but I won’t.

Instead, I need to talk about the magick in Dragon Quest and in The Rat Girl.

Dragon Quest

Summary

is being pantsed right now meaning I have only a vague idea about how everything works. There’s several species of dragonoids and they each have a specific kind of magick they can use. Only Garmidakien dragonoids can transform into dragons as they are genetically related to their dragon ancestors the most.

One thing I know for certain of all dragonoids is that they can’t breathe fire. That was lost when they became dragonoids.

Only dragons can breathe fire.

Garmidakien dragonoids also have the ability to master magick better than any other type of dragonoid. Other types can learn it, but they only learn the type of magick their species was genetically born with. Garmidakiens can learn all different types outside of their own. Mainly elemental magick for now. MC Tip can say a spell and send a gust of wind at his half-brother Karma and blow him away down the hall. He can created a small flame with his fingers.

Drizdref dragonoids are a desert nomad type of dragonoid and they have the ability to read stories from the sand. They then trade these stories in for gold and make a living. Idk what else they can do, but we’ll find out I guess :stuck_out_tongue:

The Rat Girl

Summary

In The Rat Girl, there’s a whole bunch of stuff. I was going for a nature-y fairytale vibe, so the MC will later learn she can manipulate wind and nature. She has nature magick. This magick has been in her family and is traditionally something only royal rats can use. She can control the growth of vines and manipulate them to do her bidding. She can also control the wind and in one occasion, she makes it rain.

For her species, there’s corrupt and non-corrupt magick. If she is a twin, she will have one of these and her twin will have the other.

A magick that only royal humans can use is to open the portal to go in and out from the magical land, Wodeland. Everyone in Wodeland can use some level of magick. The royals and their guards and soldiers can use more magick because they learn it and need it for protection.

There’s also Avians which are those humans that can transform into winged people. Their wings are made of light. Typically, they use light magick, but if there is a twin (and there’s a whole thing with twins in this story), the twin will have shadow magick. Shadow magick isn’t a corrupt form of light magick. It’s just a contrasting form.

Felians are the humans that can transform into felines. There’s only a handful left of the species. Two of them are twins and use fire magick and water magick. You see, the twins always have contrasting magick.

That’s all I have because this story is in the first draft stage and I need to edit it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Readers have to use their noggin to understand how the magic works in your story?

Giving them some homework, I see? :sweat_smile:

You mentioning how your magic system is hard AND soft, makes me wonder how many known magic systems are a combination of hard and soft.

I feel mine is more on the hard side…maybe.

1 Like

When in doubt, use Chi.

1 Like

Yeah I’m deliberately trying not to make it an easy read. The prose itself is dense, the story is complex, and the themes are philosophical. So why not make the magic system a mystery.

I haven’t read them but I’m pretty sure The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss has a hard and a soft magic system.

2 Likes

You glorious fiend! LOL!

Ah, yes.

By the way, how is your inner chi doing?

1 Like

Myself? It’s erratic as always.

1 Like

Same…same.

1 Like

You guys can continue to add more if you want too!

Don’t stop commenting!