What is your current excuse for not writing?

Yeah I think that’s a fun way to write because it gives you a model to write from while also letting you take the liberties with the plot that you want by making it an au that you can build around the characters and flesh them out to make them your own too! :smiley:

1 Like

Fair enough. My fanfics were also terrible and the thing that started my writing journey so I knew nothing about writing back then and wrote a lot of random things that sounded bad and made no sense. But you could write an elevated version? A lot of fanfics are actually very good too and could be their own works if they changed the names and fleshed them out to build their own world and make them novel length though?

2 Likes

Just going to throw in the fact that my fanfics are wildly more successful than my original writing. I was able to produce successful stories with original ideas that had nothing to do with the fandom, they were not immature or unprofessional in comparison with original stories, and just because fanfic gets a bad rap because a lot of it is trash written by teens, doesn’t mean that all fanfic is inherently inferior to original writing just because it is fanfic. I’ve read and written fanfic that was far more entertaining and well written than original works that have been published. Don’t judge it based on the stereotype. Going back to writing fanfic now that you know what you are doing as a writer is not a step back, it’s just a different medium that can be just as well done as any other. It is often times a launch point for new writers, so has a lot of examples of poorly written material, but that does not define the medium as bad. It’s just a good learning tool, so a lot of people use it for their first mistakes that they learn from and improve from. Going back to it can help your writing grow and improve greatly. There’s no shame in fanfiction.

3 Likes

i’m grounded + ap exams

1 Like

Now, I am tired. :yawning_face:

1 Like

Oh it’s not the stereotype I hold against fan fiction. In fact, I think Wattpad no matter what genre is full of trash written by teens.

But, what I hold against fan fiction is that it’s hard to publish. If I’m going to put my heart and soul (and blood, sweat, and tears) into a novel, it’s more likely going to be one that I don’t have to change my characters names.

And it also makes me uncomfortable taking a real person and writing a predictable romance that’s just to please the audience.

But that’s not to say I don’t have fanfictions out there. For example, the only fanfic I kept is one where my couple is separated. And the whole thing is full of twists and turns and rule breaking that made the audience mad, but at the end my couple got engaged even though they’d never dated…

1 Like

No more difficult to publish than an original novel. Literally, all you have to do is a quick ctl+f and replace the names in the document, it’s not difficult at all. Or, to make things even easier on yourself, just write it with the names you want instead of the character names in the first place. All you really have to do is take inspiration from the characters personalities or the dynamic and write your own story that has nothing to do with the fandom.

I’m confused here. Where did real people come into play at all? And who said you had to write a predictable romance just to please an audience? The whole point of fanfic is self indulgence on the writer’s part. Don’t write for an audience. If you love it, that’s all that matters, because chances are, there will be more people out there that love it if you aren’t trying to lick their boots and just write something fun.

2 Likes

Rico sidetracked me from writing about cowboys.

1 Like

I might write a fanfic for a book I finished yesterday. I have two plot ideas, but I have to run them by the author, who happens to be on WackyWriters.

2 Likes

@Xelyn_Craft @LacySheridan

What would you rather read: a sprite searches for its home, only to run into its long lost sibling, or a one-shot about a one-night-stand between a selkie and a siren?

2 Likes

The sprite running into its long lost sibling.

1 Like

Yes! But I might write the second option too

1 Like

Nothing wrong with that either! Although I can enjoy smut, I usually like plot better, or at least like pairing smut with some plot to make it more interesting.

1 Like

Currently in a slump of perfectionism. I’ve two chapters in different fanfics that are halfway done. And another where I’ve managed to get to the first intro scene of an original mystery/thriller. Been extremely exhausted lately (is that time of the month), so hopefully I can get my hand out of my ass and actually finish one of the chapters. I’m also fixing stuff up on my second account to drop various stories that will be coming in not so long.

1 Like

Current excuse is: Assignments

1 Like

Mine’s usually that my brain is too fried from studying so I don’t have the energy to write.

1 Like

Right now? Manga binging and dragging ass on 3rd round ONC.

1 Like

I am definitely a perfectionist and there are many days when I don’t write because the words just don’t come out. I have ONC, so I’ve written a lot in the past couple of weeks. I think I’m at about 10k words in the past week, which is a lot for me and I didn’t write on one of the days.

Now, I’m going to have a ton of excuses not to write soon. On Monday, we have movers come in. Hopefully my computer will be one of the last things they pack. On Wednesday, my stuff leaves the house. I don’t know when I’ll see it again. It will be at least 2-3 months. We have to find a house first. Oh…and my husband has to find a job before that.

Hopefully I’ll be able to write over the next few months. I don’t count on it though. I know the conditions will be less than ideal for me.

1 Like

Aven and Raeth are very concerned and begging you to write the first option

2 Likes

My excuse for not writing today is that I’m trying not to write in any of my “just for fun” books for a while. I’m hoping that this will force me to focus on my main projects. But of course I just ended up doing something else altogether today.

It’s almost 2 a.m. here and I’m still awake but getting tired, which I’m going to use as my current excuse. I’ll have to come up with another excuse in the morning.

1 Like