What roles does your MAIN character(s) play in your story? (READ BEFORE YOU COMMENT)

I knew it.

I saw the word “Hyrule” and went huh immediately.

LOL! :sweat_smile:

So, the role of Skye is sorta worker in a sense along with Webb?

1 Like

i love that. Twilight Link would be the grumpy dad. Like "I hate my kids but touch them and die because those r my kids. "

1 Like

YES
:eyes:

2 Likes

I decided to describe a few of the main characters in my first novel, To Fall for an Angel, set in 1989 - 1991.

• Zorik Bar-Liev (23)
    Former Golani Brigade Lieutenant (discharged via court martial), bodyguard for Karen Gavish, and ‘part-time’ Mafia assassin / trafficker (when working for Karen’s father). To deal with the stress of smuggling young pretty girls, Zorik treated the girls like VIPs and their cross-border journeys like Special Forces style incursions. Zorik always worked alone on the trafficking assignments. Karen’s father believed the girls would be safe in Zorik’s company (hence why Zorik was selected to be Karen’s bodyguard), and his faith in Zorik was well-founded. During Zorik’s last assignment a girl asked Zorik to find another smuggler who had hurt her many times. The girl then fell asleep beside Zorik and never woke up. Zorik buried the girl in a cave on his parents’ farm (his favourite childhood hiding place), and added the offending smuggler’s name to his ‘idiots in need of thorough ventilation’ list.

• Karen Gavish (22)
    Sole surviving member of the Gavish family (her father was killed in a Mafia raid a few months before the novel’s start), heiress to the Gavish private banking (and ex-Mafia) empire, bewildered billionaire who never knows her exact wealth, founder of a small yet potent (ex-Special Forces) mercenary army. Karen had no previous military experience. Karen was forbidden from joining the army, thanks to Israel’s Bereavement Law, so she created her own. Karen doesn’t make any major mistakes, she’s smart or humble enough to let the professional soldiers manage themselves. However, in the second novel a character states Karen had become personally attached to her soldiers, they were always her family never her army. Perhaps a professional failure, although it made the mercenaries more devoted to each other and to Karen.

• Ashley Azaria (16)
    A homeless albino girl being smuggled by Rau’s group from Romania into Europe. By chance Ashley met and befriended Zorik, and they escaped Rau’s team after an intense battle. In chapter Eight, Ashley’s seventeenth birthday, she became Zorik’s girlfriend. A new experience for Ashley as she had never dated before and didn’t know what to do…but Zorik advised Ashley to just continue being herself…By the novel’s end Ashley is Karen’s aide, honorary Second-in-Command of Karen’s mercenary army, and Zorik’s unofficial ‘owner’. Zork and Ashley saved each other’s life several times, and (thanks to a deal made between Karen and Ashley’s parents) Zorik cannot be deployed on combat assignments without Ashley’s permission.

• Rau (28)
    Former South African (Afrikaner) Commando (left with the rank of Captain), immigrant to Russia (USSR), commander of a Mafia hit-team / smuggling group. Rau handled the political, business, and legal contacts and relations (much bribery) of his group’s operations. He is no less effective / lethal in his new role as he was in his past career. Well, the only major mistake Rau made before the novel’s beginning was to execute an unruly captive …who happened to be the missing daughter of one of Karen’s family friends. The friend asked Karen to help find his daughter’s killer, and Karen sent Zorik to avenge the girl’s loss (another name added to Zorik’s ventilation list)…

• Dimitri (26)
    Ex-Spetznas sniper, former KGB assassin, Rau’s Second-in-Command. Dimitri met Rau while working for the KGB in South Africa, and they remained in contact. Dimitri and Rau resigned from their formal professions at the same time, and formed a far more profitable Mafia group. Dimitri handled the recruitment, training, and security aspects of their operations. Dimitri is probably the most dangerous / cold-blooded member of their group.

1 Like

Yup! They were both scavengers on the same “team” along with their third friend, Vale.

Scavenging is actually a dangerous role, as there is absolutely zero light in the wasteland that surrounds the city of the dead, and it’s filled with monsters that tear ghosts apart and kill them. So, very few ghosts will choose to risk their afterlives as a scavenger. It’s really only a role for the brave and/or stupid.

At the end of the first book, Skye resurrects the sun and eliminates most of the monsters in the process, and then chooses to leave the city with her now girlfriend, Vale, to explore the now-illuminated realm of the dead. Webb stays behind and, as well as becoming the protagonist of the second book, gives up becoming a scavenger.

Now that the sun’s out again, pretty much every ghost can go out scavenging and the wasteland has been picked dry. Also without the threat of death lurking in every dark recess, there’s just no fun in scavenging anymore for Webb. Especially after his friends left.

So he settles for hunting down any remaining monsters and keeping the city safe. Except now he’s out of monsters to kill. :s

1 Like

This is going to be a silly question, but I have to ask.
Do they get paid in currency that is more suited for ghost?

Do they get paid or not at all?

1 Like

Haha, they get “paid” in the sense they get first pickings of whatever they can find and haul back to the city. The ghosts of After, the city, pretty much have nothing if they are not a scavenger and therefore must trade with the scavengers.

There is also Lux, glowing red crystals that are naturally occurring far outside the city and can be find buried out in the wasteland. Lux is used for light, power for for electrical devices, fuel for vehicles, is used to coat all their weapons, can be made into lenses for visibility in the dark (like night vision goggles), and makes for very good trading. It’s a highly valuable and sought after material, and the scavengers that find it get first dibs on it.

Ghost economy is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nonexistent? I made a joke and I apologize for how bad it was.
:sweat_smile:

1 Like

They use crypt-o-currency.

3 Likes

Very punny. :laughing:

Happy birthday as well.

1 Like

Okay. For Red as Blood, this is complicated as there are many aspects, such as multiple POVs:

Luna (Main Lead):
Her roles are basically a femme fatale (let’s call it succubus, because that’s half her lineage) (at the start), friend (to Kyssa and C.J. and Keyvan), lover (to Keyvan and Janessa), fashion designer (for Keyvan), an angel (because that’s the other half of her lineage). She would be a mother if she weren’t stripped of custody after getting divorced.

She’s a good succubus, she tries to be a good friend to C.J. and Kyssa, but she’s definitely a good friend for Keyvan since they have so much in common, and even though they have feelings for one another later in the book, there’s no bad blood between them when she chooses Janessa. She’s not a good lover as she’s bad at romance, but she’s good in bed. She’s a good fashion designer, for she’s really creative and she loves fashion fiercely, and during the course of the book, she produces most of the company’s line. She’s not a good angel because she’s very morally gray, and she’s kinda ashamed of that side of her; she only sees her flaws which make her a good succubus.

Janessa (Secondary Lead):
If you’ve watched the show Galavant, imagine Madalena and Galavant and Isabella (sorry, I’m not saying her full name) as one character. She’s basically the archetype of someone who can’t get over their ex (in Janessa’s case, it’s C.J.) She’s also a lover (eventually) of Luna, and a friend to C.J. (though it fails, as she still harbors feelings for C.J.), Keyvan (successfully), Kyssa (though this is strained and on-and-off as Kyssa is the reason why C.J. broke up with Janessa). Janessa is also a jock. She’s good at sports, specifically basketball.

Keyvan (Tertiary Lead):
His roles are CEO of a fashion company (even though he’s 19, but he’s good at it…somewhat), lover/close friend (to Luna) (this is very complicated as there are power dynamics at play); he is not a good twin brother to his twin brother (due to their strained relationship; it’s a sibling rivalry). He’s a good friend to Elyan (an archangel). His last role is an incubus. He’s good at it, I guess, but he kinda goes rogue and gives up on being an incubus throughout the book as he doesn’t fit the mold.

Kyssa (Main Antagonist):
Kyssa plays the role of “friend” to Luna, though she’s more of a rival once the plot kick-starts (and she’s better at that. Even when they were “friends,” she’s blurred the lines of friendship many times.) She’s a mentor to C.J. since she turned C.J. into a succubus. (I guess that’s an okay role of hers, but again: blurred lines. Difference: ulterior motive – she betrays C.J. and poisons C.J. near the end of the book).

C.J. (Secondary Antagonist):
C.J. is an ex-girlfriend to Janessa (which she’s not good at, as she, like Kyssa, blurs the lines between ex-lover and lover). She plays the role of the succubus, which she’s bad at (since she supposedly doesn’t want to be a succubus). She’s somewhat of a friend to Luna (though it may be more of a frenemy-like relationship as C.J. wants Janessa and so does Luna).

1 Like