When writing a character with an age different than your own, what is one thing you should know?

Anyone got any bright ideas or no?
I am talking about main characters/protagonists.

6 Likes

I prefer writing characters older than myself or around the same age, because it seems to come more naturally. But I’ve noticed that when writing characters younger than their early twenties, a lot of people tend to portray them unrealistically. Like they forgot what it’s like to be a child or a teen. They tend to make them seem more stupid than I think they actually are. Kids pick up on a lot more than adults give them credit for. And even if they don’t have the same knowledge as an adult might, they still have the capacity to learn and are not stupid by the definition that they can’t figure things out as they go. I know some children that are smarter than some adults I know, because they are open to learning new concepts and aren’t closed off to them. They won’t try the same method over and over expecting a different result. They will experiment until they find a way that work. They may not be knowledgeable but they are competent.

It also really bothers me when people write children “tawking wike dis” or babbling, because unless they are an infant or in the early toddler years, children don’t really do that. Even one’s with speech impediments don’t speak in an uwu-ified way. People need to research how actual speech patters in people with speech impediments work if they are going to write someone, child or not, as having one.

As for older characters, I haven’t run into any problems writing believable characters in advanced years. At least not that anyone has voiced. I think if you have a certain level of maturity it comes easier, but honestly, I don’t know.

8 Likes

Uwu speak is a bastardization of actual speech impediments. It took me years to pronounce “shower” than “sower”

4 Likes

On older characters, I have seen characters in their early 20s be written like teenagers. It’s not a huge gap but it’s weird.

1 Like

That makes sense. I can see how that would make someone annoyed.

That’s a fine line to me, because I am 26 years old and still feel like a teenager sometimes, lol. I think it depends on the person, because some people do genuinely act more like teenagers even when they are adults, and some don’t. I think it’s good to portray both types of people if you are going to write one like that though.

1 Like

Talk to people who will be frank about that age range.

For example, a passing Convo with my father on my two male Obstetricians was that it was a little more comfortable with the one 20 years older than me because it had to be a bit distanced due to him being as old as my father, but the guy my age–in this era? So I didn’t blame him for always having someone in the room.

And dad is like: “all men are 20 years old in their head and can do and get with anything until they they are forced to remember they are old men”.

So, “fatherly” isn’t a barrier between you and your doctor. “Professional” still is.

And I’m not surprised because my father’s second wife is 2 years younger than me.

3 Likes

actually look up body anatomy of whatever age you are writing

1 Like

Do you think your employer will even know what 4chan is and connect them to you?

1 Like

One day your boss will be younger than you.

1 Like

So young, they don’t know what 4chan is!

They already don’t know about Pantera, they’ll miss more.

2 Likes

bro i thought this was my personal thread :skull::skull:

2 Likes

An understandable mistake!

1 Like

yeah either way that brings up a good point
ten year olds are mischievous. they’re not angels, they do weird shit (like post on 4chan and get ip banned)

1 Like

I’d cringe more if it was 2chan.

2 Likes

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment. This is true no matter what your age is.

5 Likes

8chan is worse imo

1 Like

Damn, how? Lol!

2 Likes

forgot to switch

1 Like