When writing a character with an age different than your own, what is one thing you should know?

yeah anyways freshmen are not ripped (from my experience)

they either look like a 30 year old or a fetus

1 Like

Shallow tip:
I kind of equate age with how much they’re prone to learning and absorbing new information. Kids tend to ask a lot of questions and expect answers to be given to them (thank you, schools! You with your tests… and… assignments and others) while adults tend to absorb new information rather quickly and are quick to jump to conclusions - how stupid/absurd/amazing it can be.
So hence I would assume older teens/adult protagonists are a lot more into finishing the job and getting to the end of the line than kid protagonists who ask “Wh-” questions every step of the way. Sort of like the time I went from, “Mom, why am I so angry at my best friend?” to screaming into a pillow and forgetting about it.

4 Likes

Why not both? Lol

2 Likes

Freshmen have tails and 6 nipples, got it!

1 Like

1 Like

Charlie Brown grows up.

2 Likes

Well, it’ll of course vary on their age and your age.

If you’re writing about someone younger than you, especially at a time you remember being (like say you’re 27 years old writing about a 17 year old), you should always know to write from how you felt around that age. Your experiences will impact your character and how mature they are.

The one issue some people come across is the fact that today’s youth is “different.” But it actually isn’t. Teenagers have always been the same throughout time. Just like how toddlers have always been hard to handle because they’re constantly whiney, attention-seeking brats. Teenagers are no different to this. Now, it’ll depend on some people based on their environment and thought process. Some teenagers become more mature than others. Some teenagers never go through the “sneaking out” or “partying” phase. Some never experiment with alcohol or drugs, or act on their sexual desires or become curious about it. So, you would have to dig deep inside your character to figure out the checked mark boxes they fit in and how that type of character would be written, but otherwise, you can use your own experiences, your own feelings at that age to help determine how this character could be written realistically.

Now, if you’re writing about someone older than you, that’s different. Some of what I said before are still valid here, though. Like how not all adults are the same (similar to how people assume all teenagers sneak out and defy their parents). But there is another common misconception. A lot of people seem to think that adults are very different from their teenage selves. Now, this will depend on many factors such as their education on certain things, a change of perspective (like how someone who grew up wealthy and ends up poor and goes through poverty might change how they feel), or whatnot. But honestly, many adults stay the same from adolescence even if they think they are different.

I mean, as a 25 year old myself, I’m pretty much the same person when I was 13. My thought process, personality, etc. has not changed at all. Adults are teenagers with more responsibilities, credit cards, and having to go to exhausting jobs instead of exhausting school. xD

However, this isn’t everyone, as I’ve stated before, and in that case, you want to see what kind of things people experience or feel or think about among the desired age group you have in mind. And that’s that one thing you should know: research. The more you hang around or research a specific demographic whom are older than you, the more you’ll notice patterns of topic conversations or experiences they’ll go through or feelings they might relate to.

4 Likes

That is the biggest difference in me from 17 to 19.

Mentally, I was the same, so I can easily write some of 19 year old me to 17 year old me, to catch a Highschool scene.

I just gave up on fearing taking that step, and finally being old enough to not be jail bait for older guys meant that I had to deal with the way men expressed interest and not teenage boys. Boys would be a bit anxious and act out, but men? They may not automatically say they want to get in your pants , but they were far more direct at calmly expressing interest. I still missed cues, but they weren’t as strange.

I had to deal with men a little bit since I was 12 because I looked like a grown woman, but that was an “out of my league” reaction vs. me at 19.

But there was at least 1 or 2 guys at highschool who were more direct, already dipping into the no-pressure style men have. One of them, if I had been ready, would have been a good casual partner , being a friend first who was just a big flirt. We still get along great to this day (and I’m glad to not have that history with him, now, looking back, but not because he wouldn’t have been a safe choice back then). (And hell no on telling him that because confessing things like that when 40 and married are vastly different things. I’d tell my husband, not him.)

The real big changes in how I was approached were closer to 21-25. Being solicited while walking around the block by a man my father’s age, who wasn’t easily taking my “I’m just walking a block and going back to my boyfriend” after declining him seriously. Or some harmless looking guy who brought me to work who begged me for sexual favors outside my job. And I mean groveled. Damn, I took some dumb risks, and that’s where my aversion to being begged for sex (even in play) comes from.

So, from experience, where I draw the line on things too old for young kids to regularly be into is the dark underbelly of casual sex . They just ain’t ready for that and are going to be hurt. Casual partners to boyfriends doesn’t work well in that barrier between child and adult, to me, and is very jarring.

3 Likes

Every. Damn. Modern. Contemporary. Romance. Novel.

2 Likes

Legit, the major shift that got me to play ready for an adult relationship was being tired of the effboi in my life. That wasn’t until 24, and I needed the 2 years before marriage to get my act together.

Legit, MOST the people I run across are children playing at adulthood in their 20s.

But it’s most, not all. I’m always appreciative of those who are mature at younger ages.

1 Like

Even so, 16 year olds and 22 year olds probably shouldn’t act the exact same way.

1 Like

Or at least get some censure when they do.

2 Likes

There are people who don’t have a single condition out there who are mentally immature for longer than others, and some people seem born adults.

There is a spectrum, the problem comes from having a very myopic lens.

3 Likes

Well, I usually just wing it :stuck_out_tongue: While people’s values might change as they get older, and their thought process might mature, there’s actually not that much different between people of different age groups in general. There are parts of life where you can relate, and that’s what I go for when writing older or younger characters.

Younger characters are easier. I passed that line. I remember what it was like. But I don’t worry too much about it because it’s fantasy and maybe a sixteen-year-old matures faster because of the harsh environment, or whatever. So, even though 16 was more than ten years ago for me, I can write them fine and imagine their thought processes and what they value in life.

The only time I needed to know something about an age group was when my fifty year old male character was looking for love. I don’t know what a person that age looks for in a partner. They’re not going to go on a lot of dates by then. They want to find someone to settle down with, but what values? So, I asked in a Facebook writers group.

Idk about what one thing you should know :thinking:

Maybe that, in general, people aren’t so different, but in terms of their values and thought processes, they are different. Younger people tend to be naive and sometimes impulsive and make bad decisions (which turns into experiences they learn from, hopefully). Older people, with their experience, tend to be able to avoid mistakes…but not always. No one is perfect, after all.

4 Likes

Generally, it’s easier to write someone who’s younger than you than someone who’s older. Sure, a teen will write a more realistic teen, but adults write better teens than teens write adults. I’ve seen some cringe-worthy examples.

And it’s not about MC’s personality. People of any age can be serious or immature. It’s in the interaction with other adults in, for example, work setting and in consequences of the immature behavior, or rather lack of any. It shows when the author has never been in a setting like that.

I don’t know if there’s any specific advice I can give about that other than research what you’re unfamiliar with. And seeing one movie scene with adults in a boardroom is not enough research. Also, movies can be very unrealistic.

4 Likes

It’s also complicated by there being no industry standard for discipline.

Oh, OSHA exists as does laws on sexual harassment and discrimination, but a mid-line shipyard isn’t going to write you up for racial slurs, nor are they going to discipline a bunch of men who trail around after any female who works in the yard.

But try that same crap workingg at Olive Garden.

2 Likes

Hehe.
I work at what you’d call a shipyard and:

1. No one calls it a shipyard,
  2. Yard workers would never be written up for anything unless it was criminal because they’re all union and union is the boss,
  3. Yard workers aren’t really that womanizing. Are they racist? Likely not openly, and if they are, they’re most likely in denial of it.

Yeah.
Stereotypes.
Movies often don’t do their research either.

Seriously, if I have to see another scene of cops chasing criminals around a “shipyard” and jumping from container to container and being able to get inside containers and the yard being empty and dark, and plot twist, it hasn’t passed by customs yet, it’s a f****ng empty container, you think it’s luggage at an airport? It’s like their only research is seeing other movies that used movies as their research.

3 Likes

This might be a weird question, but is ball busting a common thing where you work?

1 Like

I had to look it up. Do you mean dominant women?

Men make up majority of the labor force, definitely. I think women that work with them are generally tougher just from the simple reality of being outnumbered. It takes a certain type of a woman to be willing to put up with that.

If you meant something kinky… uh… I have no answer for you.

2 Likes

Ball busting is when guys (cause it’s usually guys) constantly take cheap shots and try to get a rise out of their friends or coworkers through friendly insults. It’s usually in good fun, but I’ve noticed that it’s more common in dangerous jobs and I have a theory that it’s just a way of seeing who might crack under pressure.

1 Like