Writing Prompt of the Week: April 10-16 (Non-Speculative "No Fantasy" Fiction)

Review Badge_Legendary-icon

Welcome to the 43rd Writing Prompt of the Week!

:fired_up:

GUIDELINES:

For a refresher on the guidelines, see this topic here:

DISCUSSION:

The chat feature will be enabled for the category (not individual topics). Please keep any extraneous conversation about the prompt, submissions, etc in the chat channel. We’d like to keep the topics clean and for submissions ONLY.

If you’ve got more questions, please ask in the Writing Prompts chat channel (tag CJ or the mods).

Week of April 10-16
Submissions: April 10-14
Voting: April 15-16
Winner Badge Awarded: April 17

No-Fantasy Fiction

These prompts are grounded very thoroughly in reality. No magic, no science fiction, no fantasy creatures or worlds should be in submissions for these prompts. Stories can be modern or historical, maybe even slightly futuristic, but they must be based on reality and on earth as we know (or knew) it to be.

This Week’s Prompt

You’re sitting at a park doing what you always do, until you hear someone yell: ‘Heads up!’

2 Likes

Again, I’m excruciatingly late!

I sit at the park, reading as usual, when I overhear commotion from some unspecified area. My eyes are glued on the book, but my ears point at the growing noise.

I catch someone yell, “Heads up!” I wonder what’s going on; therefore, I put down the book and wander around the bench to see what disrupts me. I take twenty steps, only to bump on a muscular man wearing tight leggings and an even tighter T-shirt.

He must be a personal trainer or a yoga instructor. I bow thrice to apologize to him, but he doesn’t notice me until he looks down. He asks, “Madam, what are you doing? Are you interested in my pilates courses, by chance?” I stand up, realizing I’m more in hot water than before.

“S-s-sorry… I shouldn’t have disturbed you. I-” He raises a hand to cut me off, making me shut up. Instead, he commands. “Chin up, and take a breath. It’s okay. The class is almost over, by the way.” He turns back to his students, apologizes for the hassle, and dismisses them.

“What’s your name?” I ask out of the blue. “I’m Lim Hyejin. It was a pleasure to meet you.”

He doesn’t answer straight away. Instead, he extract something from his backpack, not far from him. It looks like a business card. He hands it to me and says, “Feel free to contact me if you want to try one of my courses. Now I really have to go. Sorry.” He picks his stuff up and leaves, much to my confusion.

I read the card. ‘Park Seonghun. Personal trainer, pilates instructor and life coach.’ On the back, there are his contacts: a phone number, a business e-mail and his social media.

Should I really reach out to him?