Writing Prompt of the Week: January 30-February 5 (Fantasy & Sci-Fi (Speculative Fiction))

Review Badge_Legendary-icon

Welcome to the 33rd Writing Prompt of the Week!

:fired_up:

GUIDELINES:

For a refresher on the guidelines, see this topic here:

DISCUSSION:

The chat feature will be enabled for the category (not individual topics). Please keep any extraneous conversation about the prompt, submissions, etc in the chat channel. We’d like to keep the topics clean and for submissions ONLY.

If you’ve got more questions, please ask in the Writing Prompts chat channel (tag CJ or the mods).

Week of January 30-February 5
Submissions: Jaunary 30-February 3
Voting: February 4-5
Winner Badge Awarded: February 6

Fantasy & Sci-Fi

Fantasy and Sci-Fi encompasses the broad genres, from paranormal to space opera to high fantasy to aliens. All things fantastical, magical, futuristic and paranormal are allowed in these prompts. There should be at least one of these elements in your submission.

This Week’s Prompt

There’s an urban legend about a tax cab that doesn’t take you were you want to go, but where you need to go. One night, you get into this cab.

1 Like
"Have you decided, Sarah? Are you taking a cab or staying the night somewhere?" Lea asks me, worried that alcohol might be only the last of my problems. I don't want to stay in some B&B, I want to go back home. But I'm not sure I can find a taxi.

I answer, taking a deep breath. “I’ll call a cab. That is, if I can find one.” I pick the phone from my bag when Lea stops me. She has one more thing to tell me.

“Sarah, do you know about that taxi?” I glance at her, confused. “Yeah, that one. It doesn’t take you where you want to go, but where you need to go. Trust me, you-”

I cut her off. “Lea, don’t worry. It’s just an urban legend. Plus, if it really existed, it’s be perfect for me. I mean, I do need to go home…” I ignore her pleas and call the taxi. She waves me goodbye, and I do the same, but get distracted. As such, I don’t catch a single word of what they tell me on the phone.

That’s why, thirty minutes later, I’m shocked to see a neon green cab at the valet. I wonder who could paint it that way, and why its windows are completely black.

The front window at driver’s seat opens, showing a strange man with dark sunglasses. He chuckles. “Good evening, madam—even though it’s not really appropriate. Come in.”

I obey and follow him inside. I’m about to give him his address when he speeds up out of a sudden. I barely manage to fasten my seatbealt and, in no more than five minutes, I end up in a place I can’t recognize. It’s a bright and bustling forest. Birds chirp, singing delightful melodies, and the sun rays make flowers glow.

How come is it already daylight? When I got on the taxi, it was in the middle of the night. Is the cab magic? I turn back to try and find it again to ask the taxi driver questions, but it has since disappeared.

Lea was right. This isn’t an urban legend.