Writing Prompt of the Week: June 19-25 (Fantasy & Sci-Fi (Speculative Fiction))

Review Badge_Legendary-icon

Welcome to the 53th Writing Prompt of the Week!

:fired_up:

GUIDELINES:

For a refresher on the guidelines, see this topic here:

DISCUSSION:

The chat feature will be enabled for the category (not individual topics). Please keep any extraneous conversation about the prompt, submissions, etc in the chat channel. We’d like to keep the topics clean and for submissions ONLY.

If you’ve got more questions, please ask in the Writing Prompts chat channel (tag CJ or the mods).

Week of June 19-25
Submissions: June 19-23
Voting: June 24-25
Winner Badge Awarded: June 26

Fantasy & Sci-Fi

Fantasy and Sci-Fi encompasses the broad genres, from paranormal to space opera to high fantasy to aliens. All things fantastical, magical, futuristic and paranormal are allowed in these prompts. There should be at least one of these elements in your submission.

This Week’s Prompt

You have dimensia: a rare condition in which you occasionally wake up in alternate dimensions.

2 Likes
"Madam, as you know, you're here to check the results of your tests." The last thing Dr. Jaclyn Platt wants is to bring more bad news. However, it's inevitable, given the condition her patient suffers from.

Detta Yong isn’t a patient like others. There are occasional instances when she wakes up and… finds herself in a completely new dimension. Her regular doctor claimed she has hallucinations, but she wasn’t convinced. It only happens whenever she wakes up from bed. There’s something more to that.

Detta is confident Dr. Platt will give her the answers she’s been longing for. But, now, she is the one who has to reply to Platt’s questions. When the latter asks, “So, have any of your symptoms subsided yet? Can you describe these ‘dimensions’ you think you end up every time you wake up?” Detta sighs.

She gulps as she fights the urge to close her eyes. Falling asleep would trigger her condition and land her in another alternate world. She explains, “Well, they’re not just empty spaces. It looks like I live parallel lives every time. Time flows regularly. I feel emotions as I do here in the real world. I-”

Dr. Platt raises a hand and cuts her off. She hands her the medical files. Detta gasps as she goes through the three pages of the report. She glances at the doctor, knowing that she’s the only one who can help her.

“You have a rare condition called dimensia. So far, only ten cases are documented across the USA.” The doctor raises her eyebrows, making it clear that Detta can’t escape her fate.

“Unfortunately, dimensia can’t be cured. You have to come to terms with it. I can only advise you to live your best life in the alternate worlds you end up every time you wake up. That’s the only way to control the symptoms.” Detta is confused. She can’t hope there’s a mistake anymore.

The only thing she can do is to be able to keep the parallel dimensions from crashing into the real world. If they collided, the consequences would be devastating.

1 Like