Writing Prompt of the Week: March 6-12 (Dark, Dreadful, & Dystopian)

Review Badge_Legendary-icon

Welcome to the 38th Writing Prompt of the Week!

:fired_up:

GUIDELINES:

For a refresher on the guidelines, see this topic here:

DISCUSSION:

The chat feature will be enabled for the category (not individual topics). Please keep any extraneous conversation about the prompt, submissions, etc in the chat channel. We’d like to keep the topics clean and for submissions ONLY.

If you’ve got more questions, please ask in the Writing Prompts chat channel (tag CJ or the mods).

Week of March 6-12
Submissions: March 6-10
Voting: March 11-12
Winner Badge Awarded: March 13

Dark, Edgy, and Dreadful

These prompts are creepy, mysterious, maybe downright scary. There’s some prompts with room for comedy, though. Give us your best spin on a thriller, mystery, or horror short story. Whatever genre you choose, make sure there’s a spine-tingling plot twist or chilling ending for maximum effect!

This Week’s Prompt

Write a completely ordinary story about a completely ordinary person living a completely ordinary life…but the narrator is unreliable and has been on a killing spree the whole time.

Oh, again I’m late… Sorry.

It's another ordinary day for Jung Seongjae. He wakes up at 10am, as usual, surrounded by trash and clothes all over the place. He gags as he lets out a breath that reeks of rotten eggs and soju.

He scratches his head and realizes he needs to take a shower and trim his beard. It has grown so much over the last four months that it stings on his girlfriend’s cheeks.

Since losing his job, he hasn’t left his house much, except when he occasionally went downtown to douse his desperation with alcohol. He doesn’t want to make his beloved girlfriend believe he’s a loser, but at the same time he can’t help it.

The truth is, Seongjae is so absorbed in his dull and pathetic routine that he doesn’t even know that “Im Sehyeon,” the woman he vows he’ll marry soon, is actually an uncouth assassin hiding behind the façade of a prim and proper girl.

He doesn’t know, but he’s her next target. More precisely, her sixth.

(I think this time I spun the prompt a little, so I hope it’s still okay)