⚠️ Writing Site Shutdown, Pending Forum Closure ⚠️

We actually have a discord already! :blush: It was here before the forum.

3 Likes

Archiving everything you want right away is the best bet.

3 Likes

OK…

1 Like

:fearful:

Idk what I’d do without this forum, honestly. This is the main place I come to interact with other writers and talk about all kinds of things. I so appreciate you trying to keep this running.

I would donate, but I live in Japan. It won’t allow me through paypal, but I can do it through a gofundme though. I’ve done it before. Maybe you could set that up?

In the discord server, I know there’s a way to give people personal threads. I’m in a server where I have my own personal thread that I use to put some updates and some notes. I think that can still be a thing?

Idk if you know about the Dreamland Community discord, but they’re really organized. It’s almost like a forum on a discord server. Maybe you could get inspiration from them for keeping the community engaged?

9 Likes

Same here! I’d be a bit lost on where to go when this site shuts down for good.

I love being here!

4 Likes

You mean “if” :wink:

3 Likes

True, true! Don’t wanna jinx it!
:sweat_smile:

3 Likes

If we shut down the forum, there will be an official announcement to archive your stuff, like I posted here for the main site. And it will remain archived for a similar amount of time in case someone didn’t have a chance to grab what they wanted.

That’s not a bad idea, I didn’t realize Paypal wasn’t available over there. If a Gofundme would give more people access to donate, I’m happy to set one up.

Yes, we’re familiar with Dreamland. The admin is a member here, and I’m in their server too. Dreamland has a very reader-driven environment and they also have a larger team with more capacity to do events and things. We would love to be able to do things like that, but the mod team just doesn’t have the capacity right now. Our best engagement came from the first year’s ARG, but the amount of time and stress it caused for the team was massive (because of the small team issue) and if we do something like that again, we would need to have people dedicated to JUST that.

I put up a reading competition at the end of summer last year, and we didn’t have any readers participating, even though we offered monetary prizes again. So we’re trying to find the “secret formula” for engaging more people, onboarding new users, and not having mental breakdowns in the process. :joy:

10 Likes

UPDATE: A Gofundme was requested to make donations easier, so you can see that here!

13 Likes

Yay! Donated!

Paypal is available, but not with my bank :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Thanks for your donation!

3 Likes

Thank you SO MUCH TIGER! :tiger2: With your donation…

we’re officially now funded through the end of March!

17 Likes

I can’t do a whole ton but if there’s anything I can do, I’d love to help! I’m on here almost every day :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s

some of the ad posts I made for IG

And an alternative, fund-raising version.

Will be posting them soon. Pretty happy with the Wacky color scheme I messed around with :wink:

Also going to create a user’s voices post because just saying “great site! come join!” won’t be enough. Anything you’d like to say as the Site Wizard to interested writers? :wink:

lol, I just realized, thrive rhymes with alive XD

10 Likes

Yay :grin: Happy to help.

3 Likes

Those are GREAT!! :scream: SO perfect! Great job!

Let’s talk about this. I don’t have time today but I’ll PM you in the next few days.

Heh. Um…

My goal is and will continue to be a respectful community space for writers and readers alike. In a world of toxic social media and constant bad news, I hope Wacky Writers serves as a sort of reprieve from that while allowing writers to hone their craft and form new friendships.

idk, something like that. Wut r wordz. :joy: I’m terrible at self-promotion lol.

4 Likes

Also made this thing, so people know what to expect.

an ad specifically with forum categories

Btw, is the Adult Den active? I don’t go there, so I don’t know how it’s doing.

Sure, I’ll keep a look out :grin:
I now have over 1k followers on IG and I think most are writers. I’m wondering if I can do something with that. I try to engage with a lot of them as much as possible.

That’s beautiful! :grin:

Perfect. I’ll make a… maybe “A Word from Wacky Writers’ Founder” or something like that.

6 Likes

It’s… got some cobwebs on it. It’s still a thing - that’s what I can say. I should probably get out the broom and mop and go freshen it up. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

This is really spectacular, Tiger. Thank you so much for putting so much time and effort into this!

you wanna manage our social media full time? cuz…we’re bad at it lol

Not really, since the site was really aimed more at teens, we didn’t have just a whole lot of adults here. But we would love to see it expand!

That’s so impressive. I think I have…like…70. And most of them are from high school or family. :joy:

Haha okay, whatever you want to do! I am happy for someone else to think about social media on our behalf lol. It is my Achilles’ heel.

4 Likes

Just wanted to point out that the banner overlaps on mobile.

I’m glad we’re out of the woods for a time but the larger issue remains.

I can offer help in some capacity. My problem is time. I don’t know how much time I can dedicate to help out but I’m sure some can be found.

2 Likes

Ah thank you. I nuked it on mobile for now until I have time to mess with it some more. I think it would be hard to fit it on mobile anyway, though I guess it could just sit at the top… :thinking: I’ll think about it.

Yeah, it’s bought us some time, so now we just need to figure out what a long-term solution is. We’ve been brainstorming the last few days over how we can generate more revenue.

Yeah we’re all kinda crunched right now :joy: honestly even just mentioning us to people every now and again would probably help. It takes almost no time and gets the word out :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes