📖 Your Feelings On Fanfic? 📚

I’m genuinely curious, how do you feel about fanfic? I don’t think I could ever write fanfiction, but I’ve been known to pick one up quick, especially if it means giving my beloved characters the ending I wish they would’ve had!

You don’t know how many fix-it fanfics I’ve read and obscure word combinations I’ve thrown together to find that perfect ending to a story or show that was discontinued. :flushed:

5 Likes

I used to write fanfiction, then I got bored and wanted to do my own thing, which was to write my own fiction from my imagination.

I don’t concern myself with others who like fanfiction.

Now, fanart, I wish I could…

1 Like

Yeah, I know some people make fun of authors who write fanfic, or say they’re not real authors. I don’t like either one of those thought processes. I’m serious when I say reading fanfic is my guilty pleasure.

1 Like

I’ve both read and written fanfic. Quite frankly, fanfic has always been an important part of serious literature. I mean, look at Dante’s Inferno, for instance. The whole thing is a self insert fanfic of the Bible. It irritates me when writers treat fanfic authors like they are lesser writers, because I’ve read some fanfics that were better written than the source material. Writers who gatekeep against fanfic writers are extremely rude and I’ll always think worse of them for it if they belittle fanfic writers.

4 Likes

No, I agree with this! I’ve found so many cool fanfics that I’m like wow this person is so creative! I sometimes wish I could be like can we get you in Hollywood to rewrite this? XD

Side note: There’s so many books that are fanfics - Twilight went to 50s Shade of Grey and that went to After and then somewhere in there was 365 Days I’m sure… There’s probably so many more that I’m forgetting or missing just off that one iteration.

Even Twilight itself was a fanfic if I remember right.
And honestly, with all the remakes being made in Hollywood right now, they’d be better off hiring fanfic writers that add variation from the originals rather than redoing the exact same stuff all the time.

1 Like

I literally was thinking that, but couldn’t remember what it was a fanfic of!

That would be a wild way to get famous - I’m totally all for it!

1 Like

I belive it was interview with a vampire that Twilight took inspiration from.

I’d love to get recognition that way, honestly.

1 Like

That! I think that was what I heard!

Be one hell of an origin story!

1 Like

I used to dislike it, but after watching so many TV shows, I am for it because they usually mess up the last couple of seaons or episodes :joy:

3 Likes

SEE! THISSSS!!!

2 Likes

I watched Veronica Mars, and the first two seasons were brilliant, season three was good, and the movie was starting to drop the quality but the fourth season was like some AU fever dream haha.

2 Likes

never seen that, but I know about it

1 Like

I watched it out of curiosity.

Breaking Bad is a show I wouldn’t change, though.

1 Like

I couldn’t get into that

1 Like

I got into it easy, but again I like action/crime/drama things :joy:

1 Like

I don’t care what anyone says, fanfic is great xD and i’m not saying that because I write fanfic myself, i’m saying that cuz there are fanfic writers out there who are way better than published writers today. when i’m obsessed with a fandom and I’m not getting what I crave, i read fanfic. they always end up saving the day when canon goes to :poop:

Right now i’m reading a Spy x Family (Loid x Yor) fanfic and jhcbfjhdbf ugh i just love it!!!

Edit: I can’t stand fanfics about real ppl tho. To each their own, but I only read fanfics and write them for fictional characters.

5 Likes

I had to judge it for a contest once. It’s a wider range of writing skills than “writing my own thing.”

Fanfics cover a ton of range: 2 of them were Justin Bieber fanfics, and that was just wild for a NeverBeiber.

4 Likes

Fanfic is cool. I’ve written some before. It can often be a good starting place for writers. I’ve written some D&D fanfic for a campaign once where I fleshed out my character’s lore a bit. I’ve also read some Homestuck (yes I know, roll your eyes all you like) fanfic that was actually pretty good.

4 Likes

A mess xD. But I do find the latter not my taste. I like fiction.

1 Like