Ask me about Elgana. A six-donuts world? I'll ask you about things.

Yuppers!

It greatly depends on the global caste system. Some people have more fun than others based on their financial situation.

Divines, Regals, and Luxes: They normally travel to exotic destinations and vacate there for a few days or an entire month.
They’ll either shop till they drop or settle for relaxation and rest OR do a mixture of both.

Clerks: They have to go with a more affordable or cheaper way to enjoy a good time. Like an amusement park, a vacation destination within their own nation, or something along those lines.

Blanks/Ghosts: They don’t get that luxury for their are homeless and severely poverty-stricken.

1 Like

Wait how does illegal magic work? Is it learned?

1 Like

Good question! How does it work?

Well, the thing is, that’s not the only one. There’s an entire book of illegal magick that exists in the darkest part of the main Sorcerer’s library. They had to keep it in case something happened.

One of the illegal magicks is a form of teleportation that taps into the gravity pull. I actually have a story where a Sorcerer uses this magick. It’s like a franken-spell. It’s a mixture of teleportation magick, transformation magick, time manipulation, gravity altering, and a few others. Only experienced Sorcerers can do it, and only they will take the risk.

At the time of the story, the magick wasn’t entirely illegal yet because not many citizens knew about it anyway. Time manipulation and anything to do with altering reality (gravity or existence) was already illegal by then. No one is allowed to have such power. So anything with that would be considered a bit of a problem.

1 Like

@48lexR

What is the era like on Meiste? If it’s similar to Earth, what eras have you pulled inspiration from? And is there any big holiday that everyone celebrates?

1 Like

Q: is there a pdf scan of the book /j

Are there magical authorities or something? Is there magic-restriction? How do you apprehend someone who is magically more powerful than you?

They’re basically in the early 2010s. CDs are still common and smartphones are becoming increasingly common in richer countries. Magical integration with electronic technology is an insanely high-paying research sector, since everyone’s desperate to find a way to put magic in a smartphone.

Yes there is! In those nations descended from Atepsi peoples (that is, the Ytos, Itaush, Odapir, and Futaps) Ametafaz (Atepsi: Axotafase, Ipol: Aorafar) is recognized once a year on the Summer Solstice. It’s a huge holiday in the sweltering sun and was even borrowed in Zeneste as a holiday, too. The Southern Alliance, in an effort to separate its population from the rest of the world, outlawed all celebration of Ametafaz, but it remains celebrated underground anyways.

Sometimes the celebration goes on for over a week, clogging the streets of the largest cities in the world. Millions gather internationally, and often world leaders will try to visit as many of the celebrations as they can. There’s a lot more to say about Ametafaz.

1 Like

lol XD Sorry, no can do. It’s forbidden :stuck_out_tongue:

The Sorcerer police are the only ones that have the power to bind someone. Binding magick means they can make it so that the magick can’t come out. Then while that is happening, they can extract most of the magick from the Sorcerer enough that they won’t die, but not enough that they could use any form of magick. Not even teleportation which is one of the basic magicks.

The extracted magick is stored away in a special bottle-like device and kept until the powerful guy goes through trial or has a chat with the police chief. It depends on what horrid things they did according to Sorcerer laws on magick.

1 Like

Tell me then, the major attractions of Ametafaz. What are the most popular events or sights to see? If it goes on for a week, do they do anything special on the first and last days?

It reminds me of a Sorcerer carnival week called Wegginfaezerie City Carnival which begins on the day that the city was founded and lasts for a week. Btw, the Fourth Ring where Sorcerers are, the land is separated by city and not country. They don’t have countries.

1 Like

snaps foiled again!

What are the basic magicks, then?

Ooh what does it look like?

1 Like
There's eleven of them, apparently

Magick assessing - Not exactly a type of magick. If you have magick, you can do it. You have to be able to assess your magick energy and know how much you have or have left. You have to learn to feel the magick that is inside of you. Sorcerers learn this through meditation or just intense concentration. In time, it becomes as natural a thing as checking yourself to see if you are basically healthy.

Teleportation - the higher your level, the farther you can go and you can also learn to revisit places by memory.

Lock magick - to lock your door, your grig, your torb, or whatever else you use to travel, or whatever you need to lock. Everyone creates their own. If you dig into it, it’s a combination of runes unique for each individual.

Transformation magick - low-level Sorcerers can change the color of their clothes and hair. The higher-levels can also change skin, eye color, and even hide body parts. Halfhumans might hide their animal parts like tails or scales. And even higher levels can change things about someone else as well as themselves.

Changing someone else means it’s a spell done to someone (so, out of the control of the one who cast the spell once it lands on the other person). The transformation usually lasts at most half a day.

Manifestation of magick - Not a type of magick, but having a manifestation of your magick as your animal sidekick is a must. It’s called a Faud and all Sorcerers get this naturally at the start of puberty.

Flight magick - They can’t actually fly. It’s more like a giant leap using wind magick like a rocket to continuously lift them into the sky. The height depends on how much magick energy you have at the moment to shoot the wind towards the ground at what force.

Magick detection - Most Sorcerers don’t even have to learn this as they can usually hone it in their daily lives. Sorcerers learn to be able to tell the strength of another Sorcerer. It’s related to survival. You don’t want to start a fight with someone more powerful than you.

Illusion magick - one of the basic, simple magicks to learn. Illusion doesn’t last for more than a minute at most when you first learn it. All you need is an imagination.

Color magick - uses zero magick energy. Since magick is white, Sorcerers like to give it color. Up to three colors. Usually, they figure their signature colors out when they start school.

Elemental magick - Only necessary to learn wind for flight and fire for creating light orbs to illuminate a small space. There’s also the optional water.

Calling upon a weapon - Haven’t given this a name yet, but in the second or third year of school Sorcerers are gifted a weapon of their choice to have their magick infused in it. The weapon often with them but invisible, and they call upon it using a specific spell during battle. They learn to call upon a weapon before they get their weapon of choice. They usually try all kinds of weapons.

Since I wrote a story about a Sorcerer boy who is in the first level in school (and held back from advancing for various reasons), I have a lot on this :stuck_out_tongue: I didn’t realize there were eleven. I’ve never made a list.

1 Like

Idk. Like a potion bottle, I guess :stuck_out_tongue: It’s infused with magick that, this time, binds the magick inside the bottle.

1 Like

Initially, the King of Atepsi would open the event, but after the Hero of Life, it was instead she who would open the festival. Indeed, today, any one of the six Heroes can open Ametafaz, but usually it’s one of the New Heroes: Iziser (Hero of Cognition), Hotautebz (Hero of Mind), or Taguchif (Hero of Doom).

Anyways the streets fill with stalls and in some places (namely Åtepsi and the Twin Principalities) employers are forced to forfeit leave to their employees for it. Artists also set up a ton of booths, too. In some places, there are stages for musicians, but there are also some places where the musicians are forced to just stand on the ground. It’s said that in Åtepsi you can get a Hamgetaz (a kind of seven-stringed guitar) and learn how to play it in the same day at Axotafase.

The celebrations always conclude with the firing of seventy canons. Yep they still keep cast canons on hand for the explicit purpose of concluding Ametafaz. In Zeneste, though, they fire only one–a symbol to the death of the Hero of Life (spoiler: she lived).

ooh what is there to do there?

1 Like

Now that sounds like fun :wink:

How do they open the festival? By saying a speech? Did the King decide to have the Hero of Life open the festival?

How do they decide who opens it?

Is there a symbolic reason for the seventy?

Who keeps the canons until they are ready to use?

Also, are there decorations that go around the towns or cities during that time? Do people decorate their houses at all?

What are some festival foods that are really popular?

1 Like

Lots. It even has a song.

Things to see at Wegginfaezerie!

Kind of similar to Ametafaz, craftsmen set up stands in the giant square of Wegginfaezerie. Sorcerers who spend their lifetime coming up with unique spells might create some books for people to snatch at high prices. And there are historical texts, ancient ones sold like auctions to the highest bidder.

There are herbal stands for potion-making. Stands for handmade textiles, handmade clothes, shoes, hats, you name it. All kinds of knick-knacks including handmade jewelry, trinkets with rare feathers or horns or some body part of a rare creature inside of it.

Lots of food vendors especially fried food. A Ferris Wheel. Slides for kids.

And, Sorcerers are naturally competitive, so there are always entertainment stages or tents or booths set up in the same area to compete for crowds. Sorcerers create or enhance wild animals to pretend to be swallowed alive, they have color-coordinated fashion shows, sword fighting, aesthetically pleasing dance-like magick battles, and regular dancing.

There’s a stage set up with musicians playing and anyone can go there to compete dance like Steppenchellia which is a mix of tap dancing and flamenco. You usually sing while doing it and it can get pretty heated. Prizes can be money or some rare item. Sorcerers love pretty things so it can even be something like a ring or necklace.

Then in the very back, there are a few tents for adult-only entertainment although children do go back there to sneak a peek. This is where the borderline illegal entertainment goes on such as a shows from a Sorcerer who made a “pet” out of a Human who wandered into the Sorcerer territory to willingly live under a Sorcerer. Illegal to kidnap other races, but the Human is there willingly so… it slips by.

Obviously, I have a lot on this because Sorcerer boy went to the carnival in the story :stuck_out_tongue: All my heavy world building happens if the story has a scene. And I love festival scenes :grin:

1 Like

Well in the olden days, the King would open it. Then once Zeneste took over Atepsi post Hero of Life, it was she who opened it. And when she disappeared died, it was the King of Atepsi. But since the new heroes are around, I imagine deciding who opens the festival goes like this:

Izi: Who’s opening Ametafaz
Tagif: Well I did Ytos last time, so it’s Hota’s turn
Hota: But I don’t wanna do Ytos, because they’ll recognize me.
etc… they eventually decide.

The Opening Speech is usually a reading from the Epic of the Hero of Life (Chronicled, quite funnily, by the Hero of Earth). It’s typically the reading where the Hero dies, which is also the Final scene.

No, not really. Originally it was one canon, but about a hundred years ago, there was a break in tradition in most places except Zeneste.

Well for each celebration it’s different: in Ir Nouzonif, the canons are kept at the bottom of the King’s Palace. In Atepsi, they’re stored in a navy hangar.

I’d imagine so–flags hanging everywhere, and I’d imagine homeowners/businesses collaborate to put up the most elaborate decorations. There’s usually not a competition for best decorated, though.

The colors that most often are associated with Ametafaz are green and black–a strange combination, but it makes for very earthy-feeling colors during the celebration.

Depends on where you go.

In Zeneste, they’re serving the national dish: Iroe’shot, derived from Classical Zispoel Irohoeso Iskoftief, or fish-apples. Truth be told, it’s raw tuna (or salmon, farther North) with some apple glaze–another direct reference to the Epic of the Hero of Life.

In Atepsi, there’s a lot more rice-based foods. Fried rice balls with sugar are pretty common I’d imagine.

In Ytos they’re serving anything hot they can get their hands on (because it’s frigid up there). Think popcorn or tea or anything warm lol.

1 Like

Wait they can craft spells?

you already know I’d buy all of those

yk that is completely fair festival scenes are pretty cool

1 Like

Yes! They can :wink: It’s creating a combination of runes into certain sigils, figuring out new ways to combine potions with other potions, and explore using magick without saying spells but just purely your concentration and energy, channeling magick into things…all kinds of things.

1 Like

How do runes work? (Were they invented by living beings? Immortals? Are they naturally part of the universe?)

1 Like

You’re really good at getting into the core of things, huh? :stuck_out_tongue:

The only thing I know about runes in Elgana is that the Guardians were using it and later, when the magical Elganians came around, it was taught to them.

Might have to say that they were natural elements of the world. You can find them in the world, perhaps.

Haven’t written many stories about Ancient Elgana which is why my answer isn’t as extensive as my other answers.

1 Like

@48lexR @deathinreverie @NotARussianBot @anon39043209
Who is the most powerful being in your world and how did they become so powerful? Were they always that powerful?
What would happen to them or the world if they suddenly lost all their power?

2 Likes