Ask the Team!

yayy~ ^-^

1 Like

@CJtheSiteWizard Hey so I’ve been trying to do some more coding experiment and realized that the site might be automatically resizing down submitted images? Is it just me or that’s true?

Like, for example, if I add a long image like this one…

It will get resized down to that size, even though the original size is larger.

And if I changed the 100% resolution to 200% then the image will get cut on the preview. But when I actually posted them, the image looks entirely the same, unlike in the preview.

And I’m not really if I did my coding wrong or something else is happening.

All my files are smaller than 1 mega so I don’t think file size matters. As long as the image is big, it seems like they get resized down when we upload them anyway.

1 Like

“You’ve reached the maximum number of edits. Please wait 21 hours before trying again.”

Umm what? Since when was there a maximum number of edits?

1 Like

Discourse has an automatic setting that dictates that users are only allowed to edit posts X amount of times per 24 hours. We are currently working on removing that edit limit, but we haven’t cracked it just yet.

1 Like

I reached that limit on the old forums, too, but after editing several different posts once instead of just editing one post multiple times.

3 Likes

It’s like the likes limit. You can do the action X amount of times in 24 hours. After that time is up, you slowly start getting your likes/flags/edits back at the same timestamp you spent them

3 Likes

Never knew it existed on the old forums too. Makes sense about the multiple posts thing!

3 Likes

Hmm… Does increasing your trust level increase the amount of edits you’re allowed?

2 Likes

Hm… I’m not sure. I don’t know where to look for those numbers. When I was still a regular, I hit the limit after about ~30 edits?

Edit: Yep, discourse’s default is 30 a day.

1 Like

Yes there’s a feature called “lightbox” which automatically resizes your images. The easiest way to circumvent it is to set your image as the background of a <span> and resize the <span> to match what you want.

Made an example below which expands to fill the entire width of the message box. If you intend on reusing the code for other images, you’ll have to manually readjust the aspect ratio via the padding-bottom property.

Dimensions of image: 1132x1761

Therefore the padding-bottom should be:
1761 / 1132 x 100 = 156%

Example

<span style="font-size:; display: block; width: 100%; padding-bottom: 156%; background: url('https://storage.wackywriters.com/original/2X/f/fdbb84a8c05d1bfa15b55f6b3dbec610030a0ce4.jpeg'); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-size: contain;"></span>
2 Likes

Dang that’s something new! And that’s a smart trick! :open_mouth:

Thanks! Gonna experiment with this!

1 Like

I’ve been seeing this around and can’t figure it out by myself.

What’s the difference between Wizard Acolyte, Wizard Apprentice and Auxiliary?

Acolytes are mods in training, Apprentices are official mods, and Auxiliary… uhh… Good question.

Edit: Auxiliaries appear to be people who have provided extra help for the forums. I honestly thought all mods had that, but apparently I’m one of the few, which is why I didn’t know.

I see. So what does that mean for the Acolyte’s responsibilities in the forum? Do Apprentices have privileges and responsibilities that Acolytes don’t?

Acolytes are basically mods with baby wheels. We have to check back with the apprentices (mods) and the wizard (admin) before we do anything larger than moving a closed thread to the Lair. While we watch over the forums too, we aren’t allowed to do much yet. Apprentices, on the other hand, are full-fledged mods who are allowed to enact on the CoC, although discussing major things with the team first is encouraged.

Got it, thank you.

No problem. If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know

And then there’s me LOL

Hi guys. Someone on my thread Ecaile13 is being rude and honestly I don’t want to deal with that crap when my thread is about me feeling low and they’re just trying to troll. @Forever_D_A @FireAlwaysReturns can anyone help?

2 Likes