✧ MULTIMEDIA HELP & CRITIQUE | share your recent art/graphics here!

@thetigerwriter

post | I personally like the original versions better :sweat_smile: It’s cleaner and has a more of a cutesy feel to it that works really well!

post | I love the colours here! Though, and personally for me, there’s a little too much going on, and I can’t quite tell what genre the first cover is supposed to be in, because the font and images clash.

post | Pretty colours! There’s a little too much going on with the title text though, maybe not add a swash for each character, or swap out for a plainer font?

@stella_vigo | post | These are lovely! My favourite is definitely “The Phantom Conspiracy”. Just pointing this out, but the vector of the girl’s feet in “Did You Know” is kinda rough. :sweat_smile: Also, and I’m not sure if it was deliberate, but the city doesn’t fade out fully in “The Love Theory”? :eyes: If it is, ignore me :joy:

@novel_worm | post | The cover looks really lovely! Black and red is such a classy and classic combination :joy: The only thing I could suggest would be to make the “D” and “N” in “Obsidian” smaller, so they’re aligned with the lest of the characters in the word. Also, maybe reduce the kerning for the author’s name? It’s kinda too close to the borders, imo >.<

Can’t really provide feedback for the wallpaper since I’ve not done art or anything along those lines, but I noticed this and thought to let you know that the fourth line of the mountain shadowing from the left is smudged. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I agree. It was that kind of font, but I thought I could somehow make it work :stuck_out_tongue: How would you work with a font like that? Use it for the first letter, but change the font of the rest? Something like that?

The longer I look at the swashes, the more it looks like feelers or tentacles.

Another dump of stuff I’ve worked on <3 Thoughts?

4 Likes

:eyes: Ah, I guess it depends on the font XD What font is it? I can try testing it out to figure out what could work, if that’s alright with you <3

It’s called Berrafe Alt1 Regular.

Alt2 has the swash jumble below the letters. Alt1 has the swash jumble above.

There’s also Berrafe Regular without swashes, but this just looks like a pretty kind of cursive.

1 Like

Thank you!

Yeah, The Phantom Conspiracy definitely took the longest to make, I’ve never vectorized a background before :face_with_spiral_eyes: and yeah, about the girl’s feet in Did You Know, I guess the boots do look a bit flat where the toes are :joy: they actually had a lot more wrinkles at the sides and I wasn’t sure if I should follow them or smoothen them out in the vectorizing process. The girl as a whole took a ton of time :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Oh yeah, the city doesn’t fully fade out. I’m fine with that. I was just using gradients from Canva and that was the gradient with the best effect I was looking for XD

1 Like

I’ll be back with my experimenting results :joy:

2 Likes

:woozy_face: I feel you, it’s why I avoid vectors lmao

But if you ever want to change :eyes: use photoshop Stella :eyes: Use the soft brush and a big size, I’d go for 1000px or so, depending on your canvas size, on a layer mask, brush with black upwards from the edge

2 Likes

I was doing a game of “find the difference” XD They are all so pretty! Personally like the ones on the first row.

I like the versions without the corners for the first row. Looks a little cramped with the corner garnish. The roses already act as a kind of corner garnish. If they were smaller, maybe the corners would look good.

For Moon Gems, not a fan of the moon looking kind of bare. I feel like the title should be in the moon or something should be in the moon. Or there should be something on the bottom part of the moon like dark clouds as if the moon is half hidden. Idk. Those are my thoughts.

1 Like

Have fun :stuck_out_tongue: I got this pretty font and I can’t not use it. Maybe they intended it to be used with Berrafe Regular…

1 Like

If you’re talking layer mask to remove the background, that actually crashed my laptop :eyes: Jade and Ana were suggesting that to me, then Photoshop and my laptop collectively said “no :broken_heart:” and proceeded to die together :smiling_face_with_tear:

I might try a background eraser or just an eraser with low hardness and high-but-not full opacity

1 Like

Thank you! :heart:

:joy: Colours were a request, but I couldn’t decide about the borders since I started with those from the get-go. They do look cramped, and I realised that only after I’d exported everything :joy:

The moon was a pain for that cover :joy: It was too empty and plain compared to the rest of the stuff going on, but I honestly didn’t even consider putting the title there tho :eyes: It’s an interesting concept I’ll try out if stuff like that comes my way again XD

2 Likes

:eyes: Nah, not to remove the background but damnn. Out of curiosity, what is your RAM and what resolution do you use when you work in PS?

And I’d like to show you what I mean so would you mind if I used your cover as an example? :eyes: I don’t have anything on-hand for demos at the moment :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Oh, I see. I only have 8GB of RAM and honestly idk my resolution, I think it’s whatever the default is? I just don’t pay attention to that kind of stuff XD that’s why my covers tend to be all in different sizes, since I just crop pictures to fit the ratio but never mess with the resolution or anything.

Eh, is it okay if not? I don’t feel comfortable with that just yet :sweat_smile: but it’s fine, you don’t have to do that! I’m gonna go sleep right after this anyway, I’m very sleepy :sweat_smile: :sleeping:

1 Like

Ah okay. And of course, it’s your work! <3 Goodnight! :wave:

1 Like

Thanks! I was initially planning on sizing the D and N down to match the other letters, but then I liked how the D looked like it was interacting with the I so I kept it as is. I’ll have to edit the author name part though.

Hey I have 8 GB of RAM, too, and I can work just fine with even 300 dpi sometimes. Try using photopea at 72 - 150 Dpi resolution and smaller canvas sizes - anything above a 1000- 1500 px leads to a lot of lagging. But no crashing, thankfully.
You also have to be careful not to have too much else open if you’re working on larger canvases and resolution. I tend to keep music playing in the background and chrome open for stock downloads, but nothing else.

1 Like

So I checked out the glyphs and everything (don’t have a sample since I’m not purchasing the font XD) but yeah, it should probably be used in combination with the regular swash. Or if you’d like those swirls, maybe use it for a character in the center of the text block? It’s not much, but still enough for a little flair. So, for your cover it was “Pretty Sun”, right? The letters “P” and “y” can be swashed for the first part, and the letters “S” and “n” for the second.

1 Like

Ah, yes, that might be good. Or whatever title it ends up having.

Thanks for taking a look :smile: So, in the case of such swashy swash fonts, the general rule would be to not swash every letter even though the font comes with every letter swashed?

1 Like

Yep! Some actually have swashes that apply automatically based on the text, so it all depends on which font, genre and those deets. <3 I can understand the temptation of using every swash, but it only works in special cases XD. If you still want to incorporate it into the cover, try using it as a decoration or something.

2 Likes