Strange Things You've Had to Research for Your Writing

Oh I know the one you mean. It is an intriguing condition.

1 Like

Oh and I also had to look up how they broke an arm in the middle ages to fix it after it was broken and was growing back wrong.
Answer… just a hammer :eyes:

1 Like

Most of these things were researched for stories I dropped.

How plumbing systems for large buildings work.
How to money launder and how car insurance fraud schemes work.
Would cat pee soak into limestone?
How long it takes for someone to die after their throat is sliced.
Searching real estate sites to come up with a realistic mansion.

And many other weird things that may or may not have put me on an FBI watchlist.

As for ways to prolong torture… if healing magic exists in the story, the possibilities are endless.

2 Likes

Lol a hammer is surpringly the answer to a lot of things lol.

1 Like

Haha, same, fam!

It does not XD.

1 Like

True :sweat_smile: haha

1 Like

what does the back of someone’s head look like?

how do you give a dog character growth?

2 Likes

I love the dog one :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

2 Likes

I never did get an answer though :joy:

1 Like

Are nunchucks illegal in North Carolina?

This was just the sake of a minor joke about someone asking if it’s illegal to own nunchucks here, and I realized “I don’t know”. I didn’t find anything specifically saying it was illegal so I’m assuming it’s not.

Also for the same story I googled Age of Ultron (the story is set in summer of 2015 and I wanted to see when in the year it came out) and the first suggestion when I typed in age of was “Age of consent in North Carolina”

I didn’t actually click that one (I wasn’t writing that kind of story) but it’s still funny and relates to me researching something.

Also “Can loud sounds kill you”

2 Likes

Haha Google said you apparently want to know all the facts about North Carolina :joy:.

2 Likes

I haven’t really searched up anything as erm, interesting as everyone else.

I mostly research things about different cultures and different names meanings and origins. One time I searched up second-degree burns. Not a good result.

2 Likes

Oof. Yeah, burns are no joke. I’ve had second degree burns before, not fun :sweat_smile:.

2 Likes

ouch

1 Like

No kidding, haha. But I think that search still goes in the “interesting box” you put some of us in, haha.

2 Likes

true, haha.

1 Like
  • How long do bruises last
  • What states allow you to drive when you’re underage
  • Any condition that can turn the white of your eyes red
  • Can chalk smell like raspberries (actually, it can :-))
2 Likes

Ooo the eye thing, what’s the answer? :eyes:

Quite a few possibilities, actually. Some diseases, shock, gas, beating someone up, more than enough options :slight_smile:

I was looking for a real life event that would confuse a character in my story. Something (spoiler) a magically enhanced drug turns the eyes of its victims red, but I didn’t want the main character to figure it out yet.

2 Likes

You devilish little writer you :wink:.

1 Like