Strange Things You've Had to Research for Your Writing

Heh, in that scenario kosher laws become irrelevant. My understanding is if a Torah law conflicts with the preservation or protection of human life, then the Torah get hurled out of the nearest window.

Anyway, I’m thinking for my story one of the main characters will make some kangaroo hamburgers for her close friend / mentor, who isn’t Jewish (an Aussie with Viking heritage), and also offers some hamburgers to their host’s family (Jewish-Israelis) unaware of the kosher issues. The hosts will either politely decline or put their egos in a choke-hold and eat the hamburgers. Besides, my Jewish characters are secular / cultural Jews and they have a ‘enjoy life while you can’ mentality.* (And even my veteran mercenary characters dread harming a youth’s happiness).

*Life here is uncertain, so have your dessert first. ~ Israeli motto.

Oh, I like the idea of jungle kangaroos. Manages to make the Australian wildlife seem more intimidating. Guerrilla-roos.

1 Like

I cackled!

And I oop :rofl:.

I also ready that for as from and thought the mentor was a kangaroo and the main character just didn’t wanna say bye so she said she gonna have the mentor with her forever :eyes: or at least until her next bathroom break xD.

1 Like
Even Christians who pay attention to the Jewish background get some of the precedence of laws.

Post Maccabean revolt, the conclusion of the Jews who were being attacked on the Sabbath by the Greeks was that if they wanted to protect their families, they would have to fight on the Sabbath. So Christ heals a man on the Sabbath (in the NT) and the Pharisees start laying into him about breaking the laws of the Sabbath and he point blank asks them if it is more lawful to heal or to kill on the Sabbath.

Likewise the greatest commandment everyone agrees is Love the Lord your God with all your Heart Soul and Mind, and likewise the 2nd was love your neighbor as yourself: at that point in time there were 2 rabbinical arguments going on over which was greater: the sanctity of the Sabbath or placing care/love of neighbors above laws. The arguemnts for why you chose that way was “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.”

Of course, to get some of that requires knowing more about the Jewish arguments of the era, and there’s a very wide range of theological study in Christians, so this can be some fun stuff.

2 Likes

I like to think that the 1967 War was fought in six days because the Jewish mothers in Israel wanted their children back home in time for Shabbat. I just checked the war’s dates, and it ended on June 10 (a Saturday). So a few of the troops may have been home late.

The 1973 Yom Kippur War taught the Israelis, among other things, don’t prioritise religious occasions over your defence / protection.* Although some apparently forgot this lesson. The IAF’s first batch of F-15 jets arrived in Israel on a Friday evening (the start of Shabbat). This upset several of the Knesset’s religious members and caused the government to collapse…The first time Israel’s Labour Party ever lost a government…The air force were quite happy with their F-15s though, proved to be very useful.

*War knows no Sundays. ~ A Christian pilot serving with the RAF during the Battle of Britain.

* And a somewhat related Israeli joke

An Israeli soldier and a religious student are walking along a highway trying to hitch-hike home. A car pulls over and the driver offers a lift to the soldier. When the religious student tries to get in as well the driver stops him. The driver states he only gives rides to soldiers. The student claims he is a soldier of God. The driver replies, good then go ask God for a ride.

*Oh, one of the few things more important to Israelis than security / protection is partying (Don’t Mess with the Zohan is both a comedy and a documentary). This is a reason why the Israeli-made Galil battle rifle has a bottle opener built into the rifle’s bipod hinge.

Upotte's Galil reference

I party therefore I am.

2 Likes

I just realised the main character in question could be Jewish…

The hamburger producing character’s name is Freyja, and she is the clone of a Jewish kibbutz girl.* Her companion / mentor is Dov, no extra fur or tail present. Freyja doesn’t have any memories, knowledge of the world or herself, and she doesn’t know she is a clone (a secret kept by five characters, Dov included).

*The kibbutz girl was a former friend of Dov, who died protecting him.

In a future chapter, Dov could ask his hosts if Freyja qualifies as Jewish by heritage. The likely response would be ‘don’t make her life anymore complex or confusing than it already is (you klutz).’ Besides, Dov named Freyja after a Norse goddess,** and Dov is an agnostic Aussie Viking, so Freyja might be happier with that.

**Freyja’s name was also chosen by Dov as a reference to their first meeting. Friday evening in Israel, the start of Shabbat was also the start of their friendship, and Friday is also Freyja’s Day.

2 Likes

Cool history lesson! :astonished:

It’s interesting that about 2K years later, and the same issues come up. The base nature of war doesn’t seem to change.

The Greeks were really rough to deal with: they reportedly sacrificed pigs on the altar, earning them the title of Abomination of Desolation. Of course Jewish Christians used that same phrase for the Roman armies surrounding the 2 year seige.

2 Likes

Idk if this is strange, but I looked up “what do archers carry” because I forgot the name of the thing they put their bows in.

3 Likes

I have a pdf of the lesser key of Solomon and I’m going to use it!

Otherwise, I have been looking into the comorbity between Autism and OCD.

1 Like

Oh, there’s a strong streak.

Look up the parallel between hoarding and frustrated OCD, too. May find some things on that, too.

If I can’t do it right the first time, I don’t tend to want to do it. I’ve got a strong streak of that in organization. Lol.

2 Likes

…Darn! Now I had a brain fart lol.

1 Like

Idk why this sounds so fascinating to me, but it does.

1 Like

Quiver :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Me when trying to find anything for my dnd character because i forgot the names of every piece of equpment and spells at different times

3 Likes

Yes! Thank you! :rofl:

2 Likes

Hey there, Spider! Long time, no see! :purple_heart:

2 Likes

It’s been awhile! I finally decided to get my eyes unglued from the TV to go socialize with people again.

Writing calls me home

Anyway. You been good?

2 Likes

I’ve been on a writing hiatus because I’m just tired :sweat_smile:. But otherwise I’ve been good. Glad to hear you’re doing good too!

1 Like

Aww I see. Tis hard to keep things up when you get tired, I know that feeling all too well. Glad to hear youre doing good :grin:

2 Likes

People don’t really talk about it much.

1 Like