Strange Things You've Had to Research for Your Writing

Wow, my keyboard errors worked their way into my last message lol idk where visits came from. But thank you! I hope things continue going good for you! :purple_heart:

2 Likes

I love comorbidities, so I’m interested in this like that. :smile:

1 Like

Well, hyperfixation and OCD reun a really tight parallel. Sooner or later they’re going to have to give up on labeling things like they’re really THAT different.

2 Likes

I find hyperfixations less life destroying but OK

2 Likes

Hyperfixation can still be put aside when self-aware. OCD appears to run right over self-awareness…but then undiagnosed anything, I can’t be sure of a delineation like that. Have to trust what others say, and I’m ever-skeptical.

After all, it may be relative because I’m honking stubborn.

1 Like

Yeah, I have to agree with you on that. I mean did I spend ten days doing absolutely nothing but binge watching thirteen seasons of criminal minds last month yes but in my mind the hyperfixations are a good thing because I actually get things done.

Where as if I get the need to absolutely clean everything then it causes me anxiety and that doesn’t go away until everything is cleaned.

2 Likes

I have 3 kids and live in a swampy area. I couldn’t afford to be that obsessed with germs.

My son still drops everything on the floor before trying it for the first time. Disgusting.

1 Like

I’m sure most people (diagnosed or not) can’t “afford” to be obsessed, but that’s just the way their brains work. It’s hard to change biology and genetics. For some things it’s possible with medication or therapy or whatnot, but other things are just things we have to live with until aliens come down with the cures. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ve known a few moms who couldn’t hang: whether it’s compulsive or chocie, you’d have to be inside their heads to know (back to that skepticism of everything), but if there’s any choice to the matter, I refuse to go that direction.

Which is why I doubt that I’d be labeled OCD anything. Hyperfixation? Yeah. Ties back into not being sure of the line and what is decision and what is not.

Not like I don't have barriers:

Put a bug in my food, see me toss that real quick. But I eat crawfish and crabs. Tell me a meal has squirrel in it? I’m not eating it. Give me the same meal with rabbit? Eat it just fine. Frog legs? Hell no. Gator? Any day every day. And I can try to overcome some of this, but the revulsion is deeply ingrained. Roach protein is now being sold. Cricket candy has been around most all my life. I can’t hang. I can’t do it. I bet I could overcome the frog and squirrel thing, but insects? Nope.

But that wouldn’t be labeled as something detrimental to me because I eat more things than do most Americans. You put me in a culture that has that type of thing as a huge part of their diet and it’s a huge barrier.

So, it’s not like I can’t extrapolate, but more like it’s not always at the front of my mind, nor would I understand how frequently it hinders a person.

This though. Lots of things going on that can’t be afforder to be dealt with the way we want to deal with it, but we gotta anyway. There’s so amny times when I wish I didn’t have to go in to work so I could focus on my mental state that day, but I can’t afford to because it happens too often to take up my sick days when I need those for actually being sick. I’m sure other people have faced the same problems as well and had to stumble through some work or some event that we can’t afford to get out of for sake of our health.

2 Likes

The unfortunate reality is that life isn’t always going to work in our favor and not everyone can have opportunities or blessings or whatever you want to call them to do what’s best for them at the moment they need it. But that’s why we try to take things one step at a time and reach out for help when needed and keep hope alive that things will get better one day with a solution or better way to manage. Hanging in there is for some the only solution for a long time, but that’s one step closer to what we can only hope to be brighter days.

2 Likes

Phonographs, gramophones, record players, and the differences between them.

1 Like

Gramophone! Wow, haven’t heard that word in years. Makes me think of rotary phones :joy:.

They’re so creepy and weird and cool and idk why we don’t see more of them in writing!!

…applicable to both gramophones and rotary phones, I think.

1 Like

:joy: And now they’re making a comeback. Look at any beauty guru on YouTube or girl that’s not like other girls on TikTok :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

1 Like

Omg they’re quirky :pleading_face: :pleading_face: :pleading_face: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:

1 Like

Love that reaction! :purple_heart:

1 Like

Ooh can now add to the list a bunch of stuff about spider’s eyes, spider’s vision, optic nerves, how many eyes could fit onto the human face, and eye symbolism!!

2 Likes

How many eyes can fit into the human face… Will they work? :eyes:

2 Likes

I can fit all 8 of the eyes I desire!! Gonna have 2 destroyed for Plot Purposes but ironically vision’s gonna be worse

2 Likes