Struggling Writers’ Daily Den: rant, share, complain, ask, daily progress thing (Part 1)

I like Arcane Truth.
It hints at a genre.

2 Likes

Lol, we all have our moments. :sweat_smile:

Anyways, I am having ups and downs, but I finished editing the short story. Kinda sad since nobody ever reads short stories, and I like it. Oh, well, I will post it on Valentine’s Day and see if someone likes it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me: I’m writing about Jimenez, studying hard and making him the best he can be

Jimenez:

2 Likes

Well I wish you good luck because my stories never get reads

1 Like

That makes sense.

1 Like

Finally, some progress on the villain story. I was able to write the scene where she convinced her daughter to do the thing for her in such a way that the girl thinks she came up with the idea on her own. :smiling_imp:

My only concern is if the readers will be able to tell that the story she tells the girl is a lie.
Hmmm. Maybe I should open a topic to talk about that.

Done.

2 Likes

No child–I don’t care if they are the devil incarnate–is responsible for parents divorcing.

You need to hold onto the fact that YOU are not responsible for adults and adult decisions. If they are immature and dumb enough to blame you, well, be glad that the lack of intelligence skips a generation.

2 Likes

So, I suppose… I am ready to start editing? February is actually super-good month for the ONC this time, because I take days off here and there to watch Olympic figure-skating, so yay!

I think I am going to go through the chapters of the Lone Werewolf that I didn’t go through yet. Hopefully I can finish them before ONC, then I can do the final, off the paper, edit after ONC.

3 Likes

We need to remember that if they had a ton of imagination that didn’t need prompts, they would just write their own things.

Not that people can’t be creative, just that some people need a heck of a lot of priming to get the pump to work.

My dad is one of them, in some areas: like being able to make it the end product without a blueprint. I, mom, her dad (grandpa) all had that ability to varying degrees. Dad saw 1 thing in his entire life where he could see the end product: a cane he made. The ability fascinates him.

And the funny part is I can do that without visualizing much at all. Go me, I guess.

2 Likes

OH MY GOD! WHY DOES THIS FEEL SO IMPOSSIBLE!?
SERIOUSLY, WHY!?

I am sorry for yelling but this story is starting to grate my nerves. All I want is to know what the hell the plot and story is without changing shit because it just doesn’t feel right. I am tired and I just want to write and keep writing. I am getting frustrated now!

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

4 Likes

You might be able to find good resources on Abbie Emmons’ YouTube channel. She’s a pantser turned planner and I found some of her videos to be very helpful trying to figure out what matters in my story. What the plot is. Might inspire you to sit back and watch some of her videos. Even ones from a few years ago.

I should warn you, her word isn’t everything. She’s not giving the golden solution. Trying to follow her to a tee has held me back before, so, taking from it what you like is good practice, I think.

3 Likes

Good morning people. How goes the writing?

2 Likes

Not yet! Have lots of reading to do atm, but hope to get to writing a little later.

1 Like

Together with videos of Abbie Emmons, a writer I follow on IG, and an editor, I finally found the starting point of the story.

Btw, the writer said something really good about how to make characters relatable. If the characters relate to you, the author, they would most likely relate to readers as well. mind blown :exploding_head: I mean, kind of wonder why I didn’t see this before. Like, of course. DUH :roll_eyes: But sometimes you just can’t see the obvious.

This really, really helped me start the story, finally XD

Now I think I’m finally beginning to like my MC. I never liked her before.

Now I can see the story.

Thank goodness.

But wouldn’t you know, relatable. Huh. That’s why I never liked the MC. Huh.

1 Like

I am subscribed to Abbie Emmons. I don’t want all of her videos just a small few.

1 Like

Same. She’s got so many. I find her Q&As helpful, too. Even if it’s not something I’m looking for, it sparks things sometimes. But I can’t relate to the planning and outlining part. No matter what she says, I don’t and won’t outline ever XD

2 Likes

I am mostly watching her “Write with me” vids which is odd, but then again, I am odd myself.
LOL!

If I do some outlining and planning, it has to be my way. So, far that isn’t working out for me as well as I thought it would.
:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hmm…maybe you need a break?

I found that when I wasn’t making any progress with Lunar Heart, Shadow Bound, it was because I was pounding myself every day, every moment of the day, about not getting any progress, not getting anything figured out, and honestly becoming so frustrated and annoyed at the darn story. WHERE does the story even supposed to start? I completely lost my way.

So I took a day’s break.

No computer. No writing. No writing forums. No IG.
I spent the day cleaning my room, watching a movie, reading a book, going out to window shop, and just forced myself to not even think about writing.

The next day, I was able to come back at it with a fresh mind to really get a sense of what the problems were. I made sure not to say to myself “oh look how LITTLE progress you’re making”. I said to myself, “okay, there’s an issue, and we are going to figure it out”.

4 Likes

I did come up with something, but I am worried that I will not stick with it.

My main problem is sticking with the plot/story.

1 Like

What if you jot down all possible plots?

This was a method I was going to try when I thought the plot was the problem for mine.

Get all your options onto the table and see which ones work and which don’t. But don’t stop until you have a bunch to choose from.

I found that I was finding plots that seemed to work, but as I began writing it, it would stop working. Then I would get frustrated and find another plot. THIS TIME for sure, but then it didn’t work… The torment continued :sweat_smile:

So, yeah, try jotting down plot options before committing?

2 Likes