It's That Time Again - We're Looking for New Team Members!

See below for the types of team members we’re looking for!

Moderators

Before you apply, please review the information below.

Things We Require:

• You must be 18+, or within 3 months of turning 18.
  • You must not have received an official warning, silencing, suspension, or ban on Wacky Writers within the last 6 months.
  • If you have applied to be a moderator on Wacky Writers in the last 90 days, you are ineligible to apply in this round.

Things We’d Like, but Don’t Require:

• Availability to mod timezones UTC+10:00, UTC+11:00, UTC+12:00/-12:00, UTC-11:00, UTC-10:00, and UTC-9:00.
  • 3+ months of Discourse-style forum use (just so we know you’re familiar with how Discourse works).

If you meet these criteria and want to apply, here’s a couple things we recommend before doing so:

• Be familiar with our Code of Conduct.
  • Have good rapport with the community, both here and in other places. This doesn’t mean you have to be extroverted, but it does mean you should have a history of respectful, positive interaction with the community.

If you are chosen to join our team, it will be on a “trial basis” to make sure it’s a good team fit: for us and for you! This trial will last between 14-21 days, with the possibility of ending earlier if the fit isn’t a good one.

Ready to apply? Go here and fill out this form! We do our best to let every applicant know our decision within a reasonable amount of time, but if you’re anxious about it, feel free to hit us up via message @moderators to ask about your application.

Social Media Scribes

If you’re social-media savvy and would love to help us grow our bustling community of writers, readers and everything in-between, do peruse this scroll further…

A day in the life would look something like…

• Magicking words and/or images for WackyWriters social media accounts. This could include: status updates, writing prompts, blog posts, graphics, photography, etc.
  • Working alongside fellow scribes and the wizard’s apprentices on collaborative projects.
  • Sharing social media content across the realm.

A totally not boring list of requirements~

• The most important quality a scribe must possess is an unbridled desire to contribute their magic to our community in order to keep it running and growing.
  • Experience with social media is appreciated – but not mandatory! We can teach you, we just need to know where to begin. :blush:
  • Scribes must be upstanding members of the realm (a WackyWriters forum account is needed).
  • Under-18s are welcome!
  • We salute creativity and initiative – sometimes you may have to write spells on your own.
  • Discipline is an art – scribes should be able to take direction in handling tasks, including requests to change or edit your content.
  • Teamwork makes the dream work – some spells require more than a single wand to complete and you need to be able to cooperate with your fellow scribes.

All magic is welcome!

But right now we are especially interested in:

• written content creators (resourceful blog posts, catchy tweets etc.).
  • Wattpad-savvy Scribes who can help us run our community profile.
  • Booksie/Inkitt/Tapas/[insert writing platform here] connoisseurs who can help us engage with even more Wacky Writers across the realm.

Drop your applications in this tattered wizard hat: [Click Here To Apply].

Once we have reviewed your submission, we’ll be in touch to discuss your experience or availability. All prospective Scribes will be notified if they have been recruited or not.

The Fine Print: It’s important to note this is a fully volunteer position. We understand that creating content like this is time consuming and valuable, but our current admin, mod, and social media team are working as fully volunteer for the foreseeable future. While we completely understand the desire to be compensated financially, it’s not something we can offer at this time. Please only apply if you are absolutely certain that this is not an issue for you.

Mini Mods

This is a new role that we are trying out, which will involve helping with things like modding certain categories (not Chatters) and helping the senior mods with community engagement. This is less of a “supervisory” position and more of an “engagement” position. We want people on our team who want to be on the forums and spend time engaging the community! There is not an age requirement for this role.

Before you apply, please review the information below.

Things We Require:

• You must not have received an official warning, silencing, suspension, or ban on Wacky Writers within the last 6 months.
  • You must have achieved a “Dragonling” level. This is required because our algorithms study user engagement and this will help us see who is already engaging with the community and can do so in an “official” capacity.

Ready to apply? Go here and fill out this form!
We do our best to let every applicant know our decision within a reasonable amount of time, but if you’re anxious about it, feel free to hit us up via message @moderators to ask about your application.

Gamemasters

We are evaluating the interest in a new ARG. Please DM me if you're interested in participating.

As we approach summer, we are starting to consider our next ARG. The last one, we think, was pretty successful, and we want it to be so again! However, we had a very small team taking on the last one in addition to normal mod duties, so we want some people who can be dedicated to designing and implementing a fun, engaging ARG for a few months.

When you submit an application for this role, you’ll choose one or more of the following roles you’re interested in:

WRITER

You’re the big kahuna, the big cheese, the master of the world. You get to bring your world to life and will be responsible for creating characters, settings, and plot lines. These spots will be very limited, so submit your application with care, because we’ll be reviewing them VERY carefully.

You’ll need to send us a few things:

Writer Needs

– A plot concept. It doesn’t need to be all the nitty-gritty details, but we do want to see some idea of a beginning, middle, and end storyline for your ideal ARG. Please establish the setting (medieval, futuristic, dystopian, alien, etc), goals (general ideas: save a world, overthrow a monarchy, escape a bad guy), and plot twists, if you have them (we love a good plot twist).
– What you think will be necessary to pull off your plot concept (games, riddles, art, team roles, etc.)
– Any team-related experience you have. This can be work-based, school-based, volunteer-based, etc. But you will be working closely with a team and we need to make sure everyone will work together well.

ARTIST

You’re the dreamer, the creative, the visionary. You don’t necessarily want to come up with the world, but you would love to be involved with designing one.

You will need to provide:

Artist Needs

– What experience you have artistically. This can be anything from traditional art to digital, video creators, animators, or musicians. Art is a BIG category. If you’re creative and want to bring a world to life, tell us how you’d do it.
– Any team-related experience you have. This can be work-based, school-based, volunteer-based, etc. But you will be working closely with a team and we need to make sure everyone will work together well.

BUILDER

You might be creative, but not in a traditional way. You prefer coding in PHP, Javascript, maybe even just basic CSS. You don’t necessarily want to write or draw the world, but you’d love to make it functional.

Builder Needs

– What coding languages you’re fluent in and/or what dev experience you may have. Last year, we used Javascript to make a somewhat “interactive” world, and would love to establish that again. You don’t need to be certified in anything or have any real-world experience, but if you have those things, tell us that too!

PUPPETEERS AND RIDDLERS

Maybe you don’t want to build the world, but you want to be involved! We need you (and your NPC characters), too. Or maybe you’re really good at word games or scavenger hunts. We need people who want to help design the puzzles.

Puppeteer/Riddler Needs

– Ideas for tasks, games, puzzles, riddles, etc. This is a very big part of the ARG concept we have here, and we want to see how creative you can get! It helps if you are familiar with Discourse to come up with appropriate tasks, but we are not limited to Discourse alone: a big portion of the ARG last year ultimately took place on the Wacky Writers main site. So try to keep your game ideas in that realm.
– What kind of NPC you’d like to be (Shopkeeper? Wise guru? Random funny guy? Background character?). We can’t guarantee the final result will have any of these roles, but we’d love to know why you’d like to be a puppeteer.

If chosen to be a part of the Gamemaster/ARG team, we’ll be adding you to your own special group with a special game category to work in to build the new world.

Submissions for the ARG roles will be closed on APRIL 30TH. So you’ve got about a month and a half to brainstorm. If you’ve got a couple friends who enjoy stuff like D&D or have participated/crafted ARGs before and you want to come up with something together, feel free to submit as a team. Just let us know you’re submitting on behalf of more than one person.

Ready to apply? Go here and fill out this form!

Remember, the ARG team is just that: a team. We’ll be going through submissions and reviewing everyone’s skillset to put together the best ARG team. We’re not sure how big it is going to be yet, but we will let everyone know by mid-May who will be involved (and who, unfortunately, didn’t make the cut).

We’re looking forward to hearing from you all! Good luck!!

12 Likes

Mini-mod looks so cool! (And sounds cute XD)

8 Likes

Should be a fun engaging role, I think :blush:

7 Likes

Still a minor. Maybe we can see in two or three years

4 Likes

Do you have to be 18+ to apply for any of the positions aside from moderator?

6 Likes

Nope! :slight_smile: none of the other roles are age restricted.

6 Likes

Oh wait, I didn’t know that. Maybe next year though, this year’s going to be very busy for me :slight_smile:

5 Likes

What months is the ARG planned to take place?

3 Likes

If all goes according to tentative plan, I’m hoping for late may through end of July (since lots of people aren’t in school then).

5 Likes

I’m trying to apply for the ARG, but I’m getting an ‘error establishing database connection’ message?

1 Like

I’m seeing that for the other forms, too.

2 Likes

Oopsie, sorry about that @september @anon25068527. CJ will take a look in a bit and fix it ASAP :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@september @anon25068527

This should be fixed now: thanks for bringing it to my attention. :slight_smile: If you keep seeing issues, let me know.

4 Likes

thank you!

1 Like

Thank you!

3 Likes

The forms should be accessible again now.

6 Likes

Well, you and I know that this isn’t for me :grin: But I always wanted to try to be a team player :pensive: Maybe in the future, I guess :crossed_fingers:

Wish you the best hiring new team members :blush:

3 Likes

I like this forum and so I thought I’d stop by to offer some help. I don’t have too much time available so I don’t want to commit to a regular thing but I see you’re looking for someone to help with ARG (no idea what this is, btw, you might want to include an explanation).

I’m an IT professional so I can help with technical stuff.

The form doesn’t work, btw.

6 Likes

Yeah, the site is hard down today as a result of me mucking around with SSL. :slight_smile: Should be back up soon.

I really appreciate that! If we end up doing the ARG (which is just an on-forum alternate reality game, kinda like roleplaying but with tasks and riddles and stuff) I will definitely reach out. Thanks for offering. :slight_smile:

6 Likes
this isn't working for me 🙈

4 Likes