Between Roses, a YA Fantasy: Blurb help needed

So, what do we think? :grin:

Interesting? Confusing? Anything else?

wrote a New version 1

New version 2

New version 3

old version

Seventeen-year-old Eryn lets her selfish best friend Celeste dictate her life from how to act, dress, and who to associate with, even when it goes against her own morals. Eryn can’t do anything without Celeste. So, when an old bracelet thrusts her into a magical, chaotic world alone, one thing leads to another, and she becomes enmeshed in a decades-old hunt for a power called “alyce”.

When she learns her alyce could destroy the monster of madness haunting the realm, she hesitates to help because Celeste wouldn’t have. The monster could consume her like it has many others. But when she befriends Duxim, a sweet hare boy, Ace, a conflicted army captain, and Clue, a quiet soldier, her heart begins to waver.

Eryn could leave without care as Celeste would have done, or she could stand on her own, and risk her life for her new friends. She must decide quickly as the monster is growing stronger.

Tick-tock, tick-tock…

Here it is. Here.
New Version 4

2 Likes

As @Qualeshia12 would say: thoughts and feelings? :stuck_out_tongue: Sorry for the tag, but I have to quote you :wink:

@alenatenjo I remember you do editing. I’m wondering if you could be the second pair of eyes for this and see if there’s anywhere I could improve grammar or sentence flow?

1 Like

I like it! But I don’t understand why she’d let her selfish best friend dictate her life. ¯\_(ﭢ)_/¯

1 Like

Trading fame and fortune for her soul, basically.

1 Like

Suggested changes:

3 Likes

Oooh yes! Now it’s clear. I like this one better, and it sounds great. (*^-‘) 乃

Okie

“from how to” doesn’t work for this structure of sentence. You’ve listed things instead of doing something like “from how to act and dress to who to associate with, even when it goes against her own morals”

Maybe change one of the "she"s to “Eryn”

Overall it’s quite good!

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion! That does sound better :blush:

Some people on FB were saying to ditch the part about the friend entirely, but I wasn’t sure about that because I think it shows Eryn’s personal stakes better if Celeste is in the blurb.

Otherwise I would end up telling the story about why she cares about Duxim, Ace, and Clue in the blurb, which is just too much :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! :grin:

I thought the “from how to” part sounded strange when I wrote it, but I couldn’t put my finger on it.

1 Like

Seventeen-year-old Eryn lets her popular friend Celeste dictate her life on how to act and even on what boys to date. Whatever morals she had was a small price to pay for a cut of Celeste’s fame. To protect that image, Eryn wouldn’t do anything without Celeste’s approval.

When an old bracelet thrusts her into a magical, chaotic world, alone, she becomes enmeshed in a decades-old hunt for a power called “alyce”. Eryn tries all the tactics she learned from Celeste, but no one helps her as they are busy fighting a monster of madness haunting the realm.

Eryn learns her alyce could destroy the monster, but Celeste wouldn’t help if she were here. Besides, facing the monster could mean death. But when Eryn befriends Duxim, a sweet hare boy, Ace, a conflicted army captain, and Clue, a quiet soldier, her heart begins to waver.

She could run home to her old life with Celeste, or stand on her own risking her life for her new friends in this chaotic new realm. Eryn must decide quickly as the monster is growing stronger.

Tick-tock, tick-tock…

New version: @alenatenjo @J.L.O

I think I figured it out?

1 Like

Happy to help :+1:

from how to act to what boys to date

Whatever morals she had were a small price to pay

Question: this is a name right? If yes, capital a because nouns

Rest is good :+1:
Gotta be careful of tense

1 Like

Oh okay XD

I got so confused with myself last night.

And thanks for the little edits!

nope, not a name :wink: It’s a power.

1 Like

FINALLY GOT IT!

Okay, no more sending it to FB groups. They’re helpful only up to a point :sweat_smile:

Seventeen-year-old Eryn lets her popular friend Celeste dictate her life from how to act to what boys to date. Whatever morals she had were a small price to pay for a cut of Celeste’s fame. To protect that image, Eryn wouldn’t do anything without Celeste’s approval.

When an old bracelet thrusts her into a magical, chaotic world, alone, she becomes enmeshed in a decades-old hunt for a power called the “alyce”. Eryn tries all the tactics she learned from Celeste, but no one helps her as they are busy fighting a monster of madness haunting the realm.

Eryn learns her alyce could destroy the monster, but Celeste wouldn’t help if she were here. Besides, facing the monster could mean death. But when Eryn befriends Duxim, a sweet hare boy, Ace, a conflicted army captain, and Clue, a quiet soldier, her heart begins to waver.

She could run home to her old life with Celeste, or stand on her own risking her life for her new friends in this chaotic new realm. Eryn must decide quickly as the monster is growing stronger.

Tick-tock, tick-tock…

Celeste isn’t a big part of the story IN ACTION, but she is at the heart of what motivates Eryn, so it really does need to focus on how she’s a catalyst, and not truly be about her.

1 Like

Pretty straightforward.

1 Like

Exactly.

As for Celeste in action, she has her own story believe it or not.

1 Like

Is it the name of the power?

Happy to help :+1:

1 Like

It’s a type of power. They call it “the alyce” and tell Eryn to “use your alyce to save us”.

1 Like

Okay, it sounds like a name so it does look grammatically wrong :sweat_smile:

1 Like